1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Not only is it flipping pictures it is distorting them badly. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
3/2/21 9:12 a.m.

My brother and I bought mid 80's KX125's around 1990. Tons of fun but as brothers will do we were way too competitive with each other when just messing around on a home built track and sold them a year later before we injured each other. Having owned 20+ motorcycles over the years the 125 two strokes are as much fun as I have ever had on two wheels.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/2/21 9:20 a.m.

Seth,

Could you email me the original photo (tom@ this website) so I can have the devs troubleshoot?

Thanks!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/5/21 8:13 p.m.

Time to go racing. 

Nader
Nader New Reader
3/5/21 10:14 p.m.

Not much excuse there to slow down for the turns.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/7/21 6:41 a.m.

In reply to Nader :

You'd think that, but they were at or near the fastest bike on the straights. Some rear chatter kept them a second off the fastest lap times of the day, and a crash cost a few laps, but they finished 2nd in class and 5th overall out of 17 bikes. The only team of all kids. They're gunning for an overall podium at some point this year. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/7/21 6:46 a.m.

We did less good on the Grom. Good pace (for us) but a crash an hour and a half into the 4 hour race cut things short when the footpeg mount stopped being attached to the bike. Essentially the only spare we don't carry. This is how we learn. 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/21 10:18 p.m.

That peg looks like it died a good death.

Nader
Nader New Reader
3/7/21 10:44 p.m.

That's a great photo!

Are you guys using tire warmers?  Hard to believe a bike that light can get those fat tires up to temp.  Just for comparison, here in the PNW we have a very active "Formula 160" vintage race class that started as mid-'60's Honda CB/CL 160s, (but is now mostly 175s,).  They weigh about 250lbs, make 17HP, and run on Bridgestone Battlax BT39 in a 2.50x18.  Like a mountain bike tire.  But, we rarely touch our brakes, and keep pace with modern sportbikes in the turns.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/8/21 6:16 a.m.

In reply to Nader :

That's the kind of series I think I'd love to run. That sounds like a blast. 

I think part of why we generate heat is because we're running on kart tracks and the speed differentials between the straights and the corners are higher than "slow" bikes on bigger tracks. Not to call the Formulas 160 bikes slow, but you know what I mean. The bike above is 170 lbs and about 16hp. Riders are about 90-150lbs with gear on them and their biggest problem during the race is rear chatter associated with spinning up the rear on corner exit. We're chasing some solutions but it was bad enough you could watch the wheel hop from the stands. Yesterday during sprints my daughter rode the same bike and she was actually overheating the front riding more agressively into corners to protect position. We have run tire warmers but with the compounds we run in minimoto we don't find a whole lot of benefit during most of the year when it's absurdly hot out anyway. 

Thankfully rear sets are $20 from honda. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/21 2:31 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

We did less good on the Grom. Good pace (for us) but a crash an hour and a half into the 4 hour race cut things short when the footpeg mount stopped being attached to the bike. Essentially the only spare we don't carry. This is how we learn. 

A buddy of mine and I had a motorcycle with no foot pegs when we were kids.  It also had no brakes.  When we wanted to stop we just downshifted aggressively and/or crashed.  Since there were no foot pegs and those aggressive downshifts were often performed with a high level of urgency we'd sometimes end up hammering on the shifter with our whole body weight.  That eventually stripped the splines on the shifter.  We solved that problem by drilling a hole through the shifter and the shifter shaft and sticking a nail through it.  Because the nails would break regularly we'd carry spare nails in our pockets...while riding a dirt bike...with no brakes.  We did not always make good choices...

Glad to see you and the kids  back in action.   Learning curves can be gradual or steep.  As long as everyone is ok, parts can be replaced.  Keep on, keeping on.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/8/21 3:56 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

Thankfully rear sets are $20 from honda. 

Prices I'm seeing are about $45 a side, but point taken, we're idiots for not having spares. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/9/21 6:25 a.m.

This is one of the races from this past weekend. I'm center of the front row with the yellow helmet, my daughter is 4th row, black helmet with the purple mini-motard. This is why I play with motorcycles. 

I ran by our local honda dealership last night, I was wrong but $38.21 after tax here. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/21 9:47 a.m.

That looks like a blast!  What a fascinating mix of riders and machinery. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/9/21 5:53 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Just off the top of my head the riders ranged from 80lbs to 230lbs, only one girl in this race, ages 11 to...at least 48 because that guy was making fun of me for being tired at the end but there may be an older one. This race was all fours strokes from 100-130cc making anywhere from 8.5 to about 15hp. The guy who made fun of me was racing when you could buy a Yamaha YSR50 new at the dealer in the early 90's and one of the other guys decided he wanted to race minis 5 weeks ago and had bought his bike 3 weeks ago. The endurance race the day before was his first motorsports race ever. 

I love riding with this group. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/9/21 6:02 p.m.

What speeds am I looking at???

mazdeuce - Seth
3/9/21 8:01 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Top speeds on the back straight about 55 and the data shows lowest speeds for me at about 19mph. This isn't fast. laugh

3/9/21 8:06 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Top speeds on the back straight about 55 and the data shows lowest speeds for me at about 19mph. This isn't fast. laugh

How fast was your low speed off when you cracked your collar bone??

mazdeuce - Seth
3/10/21 7:19 a.m.

I fell off at about 25. 

The speeds sound slow, but we're essentially moving at autocross speeds on an autocross size course. It's similar to the difference between traveling 55mph in a car on the road and briefly hitting 55mph on an autocross course before you are hard on the brakes and turning in. It's hard to translate to words until you're there. I find that autocross guys actually "get" it the easiest. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/16/21 2:32 p.m.

Trails finally opened up and kid#3 and I got to take the dirt bikes out. She was on the CR85 with the rebuilt wheel and all new bearings in the back half of the bike, and I was on the YZ125 for it's maiden voyage under my ownership.

We had fun. I have a bit more compassion for her riding a "tall" bike now that I'm on my first full size dirt bike. I was trying to ride the tightrope line between two puddles, went to dab my foot down, and ran out of leg. Splash. So that's why she falls over........

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/16/21 6:22 p.m.

That's a problem I cant relate with. Monica on the other hand feels super uneasy on 90% of dirt bikes 

3/16/21 8:33 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Trails finally opened up and kid#3 and I got to take the dirt bikes out. She was on the CR85 with the rebuilt wheel and all new bearings in the back half of the bike, and I was on the YZ125 for it's maiden voyage under my ownership.

We had fun. I have a bit more compassion for her riding a "tall" bike now that I'm on my first full size dirt bike. I was trying to ride the tightrope line between two puddles, went to dab my foot down, and ran out of leg. Splash. So that's why she falls over........

where exactly is this????? hey where is the Katy track located???

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mPoCTUjeFEtubtngKdpqJdF1oOSHj8Rt7DL6Malp1n6tH5vYkhAmw8AMfWLyrc60