1 2 3 4 ... 7
Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/16 9:40 a.m.

So, what's the plan? Well, I'm going to take off the windshield banner, and put an aftermarket shifter in it. I'm leaning towards the MGW based on online reviews. I've used the Hurst and B&M in the past and liked both well enough. Then it's going to be drive time while I work on the little stuff like getting the radio to work and taking out the square fogs (brake cooling ducts?). I need to take it to an event to see what it can do, both at the drags and the autocross. I also really want to make it to an SCCA Track Night in America.

I should also mention that we changed the oil (7 quarts of Amsoil full synthetic 5W30 with a K&N filter) and trans fluid (Amsoil Syncromesh).

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
6/29/16 9:57 a.m.

did you get the 17x8's? 9's? or 10's?

I'm fairly sure that you could get 8's and 9's. a little unsure but kind of think you could get 17x10's as well...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/29/16 9:59 a.m.

Another interesting thing to look into, if the cooling fix for 96's was done to yours.

See http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/96-25-12.pdf

If its a bit overloud now, you might try adding the catted pipe before replacing the mufflers. I have stock headers, but formerly had a MAC catless H-pipe and changed to BBK catted X-pipe and it toned mine down a bit. Then again, you probably get a lot of sound reflection from your dumps vs my tailpipes.

Javelin?
6/29/16 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

The OE wheels are 17x8's, and I have a set of 4. The wheels on the car now are FR500 knock-offs, 17x9 in front and 17x10.5 in the back. I run a staggered 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 setup on the FR500's. The stockers have 245/45/17's on them that are garbage (good tread, they are just 600TW Westlake's).

Javelin?
6/29/16 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

Hmmm, any way to check the car to visually see a difference in those parts? It does have functioning A/C, a stock looking radiator, and OE cooling fans on the back of the radiator.

The sound is perfect. It rumbles a little at idle, doesn't drone at all, and absolutely screams like a berkeleying banshee when you wail on it. It is the best sounding car I've ever owned by a moonshot. I will have to find somebody with a good sound rig to take video of it.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/29/16 10:07 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: did you get the 17x8's? 9's? or 10's? I'm fairly sure that you could get 8's and 9's. a little unsure but kind of think you could get 17x10's as well...

17x8 is stock.

I have 17x9's which were stock on a 2003 cobra, they fit fine, but you can touch the trim to the swaybar unless you put steering limiters in.

17x10 is possible, gotta really mind the backspacing and probably roll the front fenders.

17x11 is also possible, but I suspect that you really have to roll the front fenders.

see http://winchell.org/ponycar.net/kenny/ in ragards to wheels.

The big caveat is availability of 17" tires So at this point, unless running R-comps, you need to go to 18's for good street tire availability.

I wanted to go 275/40/17 on my 17x9's (stock size for the 03 cobra), but couldnt get the competitive 200tw tires in that size, so I had to go to 255/40/17 and accept that at 80mph my speedo would be off by 3mph. 18" tires are also more expensive, but you can cram a 315 all around on the car with light work.

Javelin?
6/29/16 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

The CAM guys seem to like the Nitto NT05 in 275/40/17. Not the best tire for FWD or small cars like Miatas, but seems to work well with larger, RWD, high-HP cars.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/29/16 10:10 a.m.

RE the cooling thing...

the following is unconfirmed stuff pulled from random forums.

"the TSB also replaces the a/c condensor, the 96 part has something like 24 fins per inch, newer condensors have around 19-20 per inch which allows more air to pass thru. "

"One of the big indicators that the TSB has been performed is the fan shroud. The honey comb grill was often deleted as well, but I believe it was possible to still leave the honey comb grill on. Every stock/factory original 96 Cobra has the same cooling system. The cooling system is only a real problem for states with hotter climates, such as California, Nevada, Arizona, etc. My temp shoots way up on my Mystic if I drive the car hard on a hot summer afternoon. For others where climates are typically cooler, it's not a big deal. The TSB will replace the a/c condensor to one that has less fins per inch so that more airflow can get to the radiator. The radiator and fan will also get replaced to the newer 97/98 style radiator and fan. The TSB is expensive. It'll cost over 1400 dollars to have it done. I'm considering getting all the parts and doing it myself."

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/29/16 10:12 a.m.
Javelin? wrote: In reply to Apexcarver: The CAM guys seem to like the Nitto NT05 in 275/40/17. Not the best tire for FWD or small cars like Miatas, but seems to work well with larger, RWD, high-HP cars.

Hm, I didnt know they were 200tw! didnt make my research list, ended up getting RS-3v2's

Javelin?
6/29/16 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

Mhy honeycomb grill is gone and the hardware in the nose is all security torx, so maybe it has! I'll have to look closer at the A/C condenser. Not that we get that hot up here...

Javelin?
6/29/16 10:27 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
Javelin? wrote: In reply to Apexcarver: The CAM guys seem to like the Nitto NT05 in 275/40/17. Not the best tire for FWD or small cars like Miatas, but seems to work well with larger, RWD, high-HP cars.
Hm, I didnt know they were 200tw! didnt make my research list, ended up getting RS-3v2's

Yeah, I'm waffling between putting NT05's on the FR500's, or going with NT555's and using them as the street wheels in order to mount a square setup on the 17x8's. I'd rather stick with one set of wheels/tires and I could probably sell the OE wheels for a good portion of the new NT05's cost...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/16 10:32 a.m.

I've read a lot of good things about the MGW shifters, but haven't tried one yet. I have had a Steeda Tri-Ax and a Hurst shifter in my previous Mustangs with T5s (they use the same shifter as the T-45s. Both worked well.

One mod that I really love is my Steeda Comfort Pro shift handle that I bought used. It brings the shifter back and towards the driver. They're no longer available new, but are still kicking around on the used market.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sda-555-7154

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/29/16 10:36 a.m.

The 255 rs-3's were $550ish before shipping from tirerack. , but fit 8.5-10 inch wheels.

You could also get a 245/45/17 (stock size for the 17x8) in the Khumo V720 for cheap, but the verdict is still out on funny wear on the center rib.

I had 555's on my car when I bought it in 2002 and I dont remember liking them and saw Azenis RT215 as a huge improvement, no idea if they have changed anything about the 555 since then.

A square setup is a good thing to have. Suggest 17x9 all around if you dont want to go to 18's. (sell the 10.5 FR500's and get 2 more 17x9's)

Though, I would play around seeing what fitting your 10.5 on the front looks like. I hear you might be able to do it with a spacer and longer studs. If you can make it work, ALL THE RUBBER. (would be very interested to see results)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/16 10:45 a.m.

In reply to dj06482:

MGW can be had with a comfort type handle like the old Steeda one. I was leaning that way, too.

Javelin
6/29/16 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

The 555 is on it's 3rd or 4th redux since 02. They call it the NT555 G2 now. Not going to be up on the 200TW AX tires, but great for track lapping and street driving.

I found out the NT05 can be had in a 305/35/17. I could run that on the back and the 275's up front. I don't have a tubular K-member or rolled fenders though, so it would probably rub. The 9's look like all the wheel that will fit for full suspension/steering travel on it's current setup.

Maybe I could go 18x9 for the square setup? Lots of wheels available in that size.

I'm going to try the OE 17x8's on the Mazda5, lol!

Javelin
6/29/16 10:51 a.m.

Oh, I forgot to mention, in all of the inspecting we found NO drain backs into the oil pan or any other suggestions that it has ever been boosted.

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
6/29/16 10:57 a.m.

Javelin, you are in WA right? If you decide to sell the OE wheels let me know, I'm in Snohomish and have been looking for a set to put on my 5.0 RX-7.

Javelin
6/29/16 11:26 a.m.

In reply to JTNWEvo:

I am in Washington, and they are 98 Cobra wheels, 1-year only. Thinking $600 for all 4 with the tires? I have the SVT center caps and everything.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/29/16 11:30 a.m.

Funny, no sooner do you get this and Speedhunters posts this orange SN95 on bronze Work CR Kiwamis with a supercharged 4.2L V6.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
6/29/16 11:41 a.m.

That orange is nice. looks like they put cobra front bumper on?

marks93cobra
marks93cobra New Reader
6/29/16 3:11 p.m.

IMHO, NT05s run a bit narrow. For example, I had 255s on my 17x9s and I felt the tire was stretched a bit too far. 275s seem to fix 17x9s very nicely. A square setup would work best for the track, but if that's not in the cards, go with 305s for the steamroller look

Javelin
6/29/16 3:17 p.m.

In reply to marks93cobra:

Thanks! Good info to know.

Javelin
6/29/16 11:14 p.m.

Okay, new clutch and trans are in, it's awesome!

Quick question, the odometer and trip meter are INOP. All of the gauges work and read correctly, including speedometer. Ideas?

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
6/29/16 11:45 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Okay, new clutch and trans are in, it's awesome! Quick question, the odometer and trip meter are INOP. All of the gauges work and read correctly, including speedometer. Ideas?

I have a 99 f150 and had to pull the cluster and repair some cold solder joints. It still kept mileage fine, but the display was dead. After the fix its been fine ever since. Check out the major ford forums and you'll find plenty of info.

This thread really makes me miss my 03 Mach 1.

Javelin
6/30/16 12:19 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Thanks for the idea to google it (duh!), turns out is some $25 plastic gears. I got a set on order.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u6mcZmDH7xWwQTu9QHB1TE8NOszOnhMDBUcY6mY4s2A7Qi3knMEIbNtFlGCrSOtO