1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/18/17 9:57 p.m.

Installed new plugs. There old ones looked alright but it is always a good idea. I ordered all new filters and will do fluids and filters this week.

Sadly, my wide 15" rims don't have the right pattern so off to Clem's junk pile.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/18/17 10:29 p.m.

I don't have anything wider than 6", I don't think.   And frankly, I don't have much in 15" that I don't need.

But I'll keep my eyes open and see if any good deals come along.  What Width and offset are you looking for?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/19/17 9:56 p.m.

At least 8" wide with a backspacing of 5 or 6 depending on width.

Pulled the seats and stripped them down to be sent off for new covers. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/19/17 10:49 p.m.

Well...that escalated quickly.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
9/20/17 7:49 a.m.

Is that a SHO engine I spy in the background?

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
9/20/17 7:57 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer : wheels and tires? Corvette and big BMW have the same bolt pattern  

start searching junk yards and swap meets  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/20/17 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy: Yes sir it is. I have most of the parts to put that in a RWD platform except the wiring harness. I don't have any real plans for it at the moment though. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/20/17 11:05 p.m.

So it appears that the xj has a Dana 44. There might be some slight differences but I am having trouble getting clear answers from the internet (shockingly). 

If so, I might be swapping 3.27s for 4.10s!

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/23/17 6:42 p.m.

Nice car.  Been toying with getting rid of my C4 Vette and getting into one of these 95-97 vintage.   What is your overall impression with the XJ's?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/23/17 9:22 p.m.

If I would have bought a nicer one, I would consider daily driving it. A few minor changes and upgrades and mine will be there. It is very comfortable even though it is a little hard to get in and out of for a car of this style. Still not bad for cars in general. It has a surprisingly little amount of front legroom. It is fine but the pedal box is small for a $100k car (today's prices). The seats are amazing. Handles really well it gets set in a corner. Fair amount of body roll. The gearing makes it seem like a much more sedate car than 315 hp should be. Still, once going it hauls ass.

Dirtydog
9/23/17 9:33 p.m.

Thanks for the input.  Although I've mastered the fall in, crawl out of the Corvette, age and back issues make me want something a little bigger.   Funny you mention  the pedal box.  The C4 does not allow much wiggle room down there either.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/23/17 9:37 p.m.

Aside from something with less soul, this is the most comfortable car I can think of driving. It is great to hammer on it on the highway and hear the supercharger start singing.

Dirtydog
9/23/17 9:58 p.m.

Thanks again.  I'll be following your progress with interest.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
9/24/17 5:07 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Jaguar used Dana and Salisbury pretty well interchangeably during this period. If you are sure it's a Dana then grab the centersection from an XJS which will have 3.54!  You can even swap a  Salisbury center for a Dana. On most years.  A cheaper solution is to go to a really low profile tire to effect the same gear change. If your tires are supposed to be 28 inches tall and you replace them with tires only 23 inches tall it might look silly but will perform like 4.10's 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/25/17 10:03 p.m.

Many thing occurring in the XJR. Some I will talk about, like general cleaning, wiper motor repair, and getting a set of 15" beadlock wheels for the drag race. Others will have to wait until the challenge... Assuming that they work.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/17 10:07 p.m.

I'm pretty sure you can't mount a supercharger in the passenger seat. Just saying ...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/25/17 10:27 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Ah, but twin charging is a thing!

Not a thing I am doing but a thing.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/2/17 9:56 p.m.

So I am terrible at updates. Much work had been occurring. Mostly just repair work and secret stuff. Got new belts, filters, and such. Getting some sweet 18" wheels from Stampie.

garethashenden
garethashenden New Reader
10/3/17 12:45 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Jaguar used Dana and Salisbury pretty well interchangeably during this period. If you are sure it's a Dana then grab the centersection from an XJS which will have 3.54!  You can even swap a  Salisbury center for a Dana. On most years.  A cheaper solution is to go to a really low profile tire to effect the same gear change. If your tires are supposed to be 28 inches tall and you replace them with tires only 23 inches tall it might look silly but will perform like 4.10's 

Make sure you get this from a facelift XJS though, '93-'96, otherwise you'll end up with a 2.88.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
10/3/17 6:25 a.m.

In reply to garethashenden :you are absolutly correct! 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/5/17 10:01 p.m.

New wheels

Yes, BMW wheels. They look good and for with a small spacer. 18*8 and 8.5. I will have to get different center caps though.

Stampie
10/6/17 12:08 p.m.

So tell us what else is being done ... I can tell the rear seems a little high just to test fit rims. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/6/17 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You will have to wait 13 days to find out Stamps

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/11/17 1:58 p.m.

So, time to let the cat out. I am swapping to 4.11 gears. It might work. It might not. If it doesn't, I am not going to make it to the challenge. sad

Stampie
10/11/17 2:31 p.m.

I at least kept a spare diff to do things with. You have bigger cajones than me. But we knew that after the whole passenger seat turbo thing. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FD7nPovh4GGk50uEFdVx56ljcgwbZ7blU0vCExlV6eWYDYheR38wKypgHENN0IAG