barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/23/20 8:09 p.m.

About a month until #1 turns 4. His training wheels have been off for a while, and he has been asking for a "my size" motorcycle for several months now. So...

except it doesn't work, and he specifically asks for a green one. So, I guess my multimeter will get some use, and rattle cans. Hopefully it just needs a battery. Wish me luck. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/10/20 10:45 p.m.

One week to go and finally around to testing/diagnosing. Someone check my thinking. It's 24v via 2 12v batteries in series, a controller, a "throttle" switch, and a motor. After a nice long charge with the factory charger, both of my multimeters read 27v. Power on, still shows 27v. Throttle makes the control box click, but nothing happens with the motor. Checking the wires that power the motor with it switched on shows 2.5-2.7v, dropping to 1.6-1.7v when I twist the throttle. My totally nonexistent electronic wizarding skills tel me the controller is busted. Am I way off?

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/10/20 11:05 p.m.

sounds like you're on the right track.

I would pull the controller out and see if there is a part number on it that can be googled.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/10/20 11:19 p.m.

Directly feeding the motor 12v makes the wheel turn. I'm gonna go with busted brain box for 200 Alex. 
the part number on the box turns up a few made in China direct replacements for $30 and the real thing (which I'm sure is made in China, but at least has the brand name on it) for $44. The real one comes with a new throttle switch, which is necessary because the original was updated several times and the main difference is throttle input. Seems like the proper way to go. Parts cannon loaded. Supposed to arrive the day before the party. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/11/20 12:52 a.m.

Overnight parts from China? cheeky

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/11/20 9:13 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Standard shipping parts from China. Not gonna pay $35 to ship a $45 part. This is important, but hardly an emergency. Plus, I still need some money left over to buy him a proper helmet. 

beasterling
beasterling New Reader
7/11/20 1:02 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

HI Barefoot, 

Excellent choice on the platform. Being a giant man child has proven that these razor bikes are the best low buck fun! 

The version of throttle on the bike currently is just an on off switch. For very reasonable money you can throw on a variable pot throttle and have control similar to a standard cycle.  Depending on voltage, go aftermarket on the speed controller, you'll save quite a bit of money. They can be found reasonably cheap and sometimes with throttle included. https://www.ebay.com/itm/373067588662

https://banggood.app.link/z2jVSwWw27

24v battery setup would keep the bike entertaining for your kiddo and relatively safe!  In case you want to point at some full grown adults being children : https://youtu.be/ZHN2-uzjIEQ

Have fun and be safe! 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/11/20 6:03 p.m.

Green!

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/14/20 9:54 p.m.

He's totally ready. And apparently almost too big for youth sizes. Just waiting on parts. Hoping the usps is faster than the weekend. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/20 1:08 a.m.
ShawnG said:

That bike will decimate ALL.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/15/20 9:17 a.m.
Appleseed said:
ShawnG said:

That bike will decimate ALL.

Yes, I'm sure it will eliminate 10% of it's competition. wink

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/18/20 7:43 p.m.

The parts arrived two hours before the party. Still, good enough. Apparently not exactly a direct replacement, but it works. The power switch must be different on some models, because there were no wires to hook to the existing switch, so it's just on. All the time. And the batteries don't offer a ton of go time anyway, so between not being charged in two weeks, and the controller being left on for an hour before the big reveal, he didn't get as much ride time as he'd have liked. Still. Huge success, huge excitement. I'll put a master kill switch on the batteries.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/18/20 8:20 p.m.

Running Lead acids I take it?

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/18/20 9:18 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

That's what's in it, thinking of a change when they bite it. Not sure what would be involved in charging or what changes I'd need to make to convert to Lithium ion or something. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sUIVHhiCaTulwefw7As3XKA1FMjrlvBSoAiH64miHwDkR7Ec7drL7dLIm6u3Bv9i