1 2 3 4 5
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/10/22 11:36 a.m.

That's neat as hell. Very cool. Re: The composting toilet. SWMBO and I used one with peat moss for 9 months. Long term we had a small black fly issue but otherwise it was fine. Way better than black water pipes, tanks, etc. If I had to do it again I would save the $1000.00 and get a bucket. You may need to devise a way to mix it after use.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
12/10/22 1:51 p.m.

In reply to NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) :

Good to know, thanks!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
12/10/22 8:26 p.m.

Toilet nearly done.  Urine tank installed (words you don't often hear on this forum!).

Toilet vent routed thru floor

This is the 2k btu a/c which will run on battery system.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
12/15/22 7:32 p.m.

Started (loosely) mounting components for the solar electric system.  I am using a 5000W modified sine wave inverter (that I already had on hand) to power all of the 120v appliances. I have some concerns as to the compatibility of the mod sine with the a/c unit and modern tv.  The inverter manufactures feels confidant that it will work fine and that on the off chance that it does not, that the appliance will simply not function but will not be harmed.  Has anyone had experience with one of these inverters before?

Thx

Project videos

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/22 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified :

We have a Renogy inverter I installed in our RV. The TV works fine on it & the AC will run, but it's really pushing the limit of the Inverter. 

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
12/17/22 6:09 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks Pete! Do you recall the Watt rating?

12/17/22 7:26 p.m.

It's 4000w, but Renogy rates their's differently. That 4000w is continuous, with a peak of 6000w iirc. 

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
12/18/22 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Thx!  That is a modified sine wave, right?

12/19/22 11:00 a.m.

Correct

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
12/19/22 2:17 p.m.

Hi Ben, I'm not sure what you're doing for a refrigerator.  I built a stealth camper a few years ago out of 16' Penske box van.  I didn't want to spend a fortune on a fridge, so I bought a small apartment fridge at the homeless despot.  It was 110v.  I used one of these to convert to 12v.  https://applianceparts365.com/secop-bd35f-hd-direct-current-dc-mobile-compressor-1224v-r134a?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_YHX-7CG_AIVSkpyCh1cTgyQEAQYCCABEgIpafD_BwE

Now it doesn't need the inverter.  I have one, a 2000w pure sign wave, but have swapped almost everything over to 12v.  I have 630 watts of solar and only one 200 amp hour lifep04.  I don't usually run out of power even in winter.  Although when I was running everything through the inverter, I would get close.

Hey not to detail your thread, but whatever happened to your tiny house built out of SIPs?

Love the build!

Thanks

Paul

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
12/22/22 8:14 p.m.

In reply to paulmpetrun :

Thanks Paul, love the idea about the DC compressor. Sadly I've already dropped the money on a Dometic AC/DC fridge. The tiny house structure is complete but I have not moved beyond that point. I will not need it any time soon so it is shelved for now. Is the Penske box van documented anywhere?

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
12/22/22 8:31 p.m.

Looking at your toilet, you might want to pick up a Thetford Ports Potti. They are not very expensive and are very nice to live with. Stick with Thetford, they have the patents on the nice ways to do it. $100 to $150 gets you something that doesn't spill when you carry it, manages the odor, and flushes. I have two and they have been used for everything from camping to surgery recovery.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
12/22/22 8:50 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Good to know, thanks!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
1/7/23 6:04 a.m.

The 75 gallon water tank is in.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
1/27/23 7:01 p.m.

Shower liner material is cut and ready to go in!

Also, finally found some not-china solar panels.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/23 7:34 p.m.

Following

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
1/27/23 9:30 p.m.

Not-china is best

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
2/12/23 9:44 a.m.

Progress on shower

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
2/12/23 9:48 a.m.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/12/23 10:12 a.m.

On page one you briefly mention cameras you added to front and side.  This reminds me of the Simpsons bit of Flowers By Irene.  That or similar could be humorous.  I am left to wonder, would these markings draw more unwanted attention?  Possibly so from the resident of the street you overnight park on but possible less from local cops who see you on the same residential street?  

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
2/12/23 8:57 p.m.
John Welsh said:

On page one you briefly mention cameras you added to front and side.  This reminds me of the Simpsons bit of Flowers By Irene.  That or similar could be humorous.  I am left to wonder, would these markings draw more unwanted attention?  Possibly so from the resident of the street you overnight park on but possible less from local cops who see you on the same residential street?  

Thanks great.  I had forgotten about the Simpsons episode.  I had thought about some sort of A/C repair signage with an 800 number but, being aluminum, of course a magnetic sign will not work.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
2/13/23 7:14 p.m.

After test fitting the shower liner panels, I removed them and cut some aluminum angle to form a shower pan.  This "pan" will be attached directly to the aluminum floor with a drain cut into the lowest spot in the floor.

A friend has a tig, so I brought the pieces over to him and he welded up the aluminum for me.

After testing each corner for leaks with the garden hose, I laid it out on the floor and drilled some mounting holes.  Then lined the opening with some house wrap and ran a couple of thick beads of caulk.

Then set the pan in place and, in a crisscross pattern, slowly fastened the pan to the floor.

The temps here have been up and down a bit so I am going to give the caulk a couple of days to fully cure.  Then add another, floor to ceiling, layer of house wrap.  This time going on the inside of the pan leaving an inch gap at the bottom.  When installed, the cutting board shower liner panels will overlap the house wrap and pan with a 1/4" gap at the bottom to form a watershed.  The house wrap is there to drain off any condensation that may form behind the shower liner panels. Will it actually work as planned....I don't know...time will tell.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
2/14/23 2:12 a.m.

How does that beast drive? What's it like on the highway?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
2/14/23 6:59 a.m.
RacerBoy75 said:

How does that beast drive? What's it like on the highway?

It tends to wander a bit at highway speeds.  Being an ex-government vehicle, I don't know if it ever had a pre-delivery inspection etc. It may just need a front end alignment. It actually has a very good ride.  Cross winds over 20mph can make it a white knuckler! I have an aftermarket cruise control on order.  It desperately needs arm rests! Time to hit the pick a part.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/14/23 11:43 a.m.

For seats with arm rests, I'd look toward second row seats in conversion vans and minivans. The reason for second row is because they will have fold down arm rests for each arm. The front rows only have one fold down armrest and use the door for the other arm rest. 

Avoid the Chrysler stow and go seats but maybe look for a VW Routon which is a Chrysler without stow and go. The second row on these very much look like repurposed front rows. 

You have to fab a mount but be mindful of how the brands seats move fore and aft. Some use rails in the van floor for movement. That won't work w/o floor modifications to your truck. The VWs should have a integrated fore aft that would work well. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fVa606SNea5tgnMvtKxghwnIxuXzBiArvbWchQ1X9cqYtC91LXMcnBXixvhITUHr