1 2 3 ... 8
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/15/19 3:10 p.m.

I picked up this 360 Van from the same person that sold me the Autobianchi which also went on to have Sport Bike Power!  The Van had previously undergone a severe top chop and has its share of rust issues.  I have been collecting parts for a while now and finally have enough pieces to get started!

Here is a poorly manipulated photo of the current plan

There are parts of the top chop which are really bad and I am considering removing all of the sheet metal from the base of the windows up.  I am considering replacing this metal with a full cage and a tilt out windshield with either a canvas top or a complete stock roof skin which came with the van from the previous owner. Here is another poorly manipulated photo which shows an open air van with a slightly higher roof.

I will be grafting in VW bug suspension components into the stock 360 frame. The van will eventually have 4 wheel disc brakes and 16" Porsche 944 turbo wheels. I will be moving the front wheels forward as far as possible and make every attempt to keep the van as close to the stock width as possible

The body is off the frame now and I am knocking off the surface rust.  Also getting a better look at the rust issues.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/15/19 3:43 p.m.

You madman. Looks cool!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/15/19 4:16 p.m.

So awesome.  I love the look and would run that all day

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/15/19 4:41 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

You madman. Looks cool!

Thanks!  I have been waiting a long time to get started on this!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/15/19 4:43 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

So awesome.  I love the look and would run that all day

Thanks, I hope to make this a daily driver!!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/19 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified :

Do you have any of the stock brake/drivetrain/suspension/steering parts for it that you’ll no longer need? I have a friend with one of these who may be interested in some parts. 

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/15/19 7:26 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Do you have any of the stock brake/drivetrain/suspension/steering parts for it that you’ll no longer need? I have a friend with one of these who may be interested in some parts. 

Hey Pete!  Once I have this together, all of the left overs are up for grabs.  Let me know what they want and I will hold it.  Most of the parts should be available.  The engine is missing the carb/dist/generator/starter but will turn over by hand with the plugs out.  No idea on the compression

Pete Gossett
5/15/19 7:36 p.m.

Thanks! I sent him a message & will let you know. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/15/19 7:42 p.m.

My college chemistry professor back in the mid-1970s drove a Subaru 360 pickup...living in a midwestern farming community, he definitely stood out as being a little unusual.  smiley

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/15/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

yes

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/15/19 8:54 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I could see that surprise

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/15/19 8:57 p.m.

If you wanted to keep it 2-stroke and in the family, Fuji Heavy Industries produced a whole bunch of these 800 triples for Polaris over the years. 150+hp stock but it might be a bit much to live with everyday (even compared to a bike motor).

Adam

hvoxi
hvoxi New Reader
5/16/19 4:31 a.m.

I saw the name of the thread & hoped it was you. Have fun with the build, thanks for sharing it

Pete Gossett
5/16/19 5:24 a.m.

He’s interested in the wheels, hubs, spindles & brakes. Just let me know when you reach that point & we’ll figure out the details. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/16/19 8:59 a.m.
adam525i said:

If you wanted to keep it 2-stroke and in the family, Fuji Heavy Industries produced a whole bunch of these 800 triples for Polaris over the years. 150+hp stock but it might be a bit much to live with everyday (even compared to a bike motor).

One of those engines with a set of extractor pipes would sound awesome.  smiley

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/16/19 4:28 p.m.
adam525i said:

Adam

That would be AWESOME! I wonder how hard it would be to find one

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/16/19 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Sounds good.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/16/19 11:21 p.m.

Holy crap, is that thing really only as tall as the Autobianchi? How do you find these things? 

Are you still working on the cabover? (THOW IIRC)

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/17/19 3:59 a.m.
Crackers said:

Holy crap, is that thing really only as tall as the Autobianchi? How do you find these things? 

Are you still working on the cabover? (THOW IIRC)

4' 2" Tall.  Yes, still working on the cabover, just slow going

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/18/19 5:14 a.m.

Started chopping up the VW beam front suspension.

Height adjusters in the middle

Then cut down the springs

My Youtube Playlist Page

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/28/19 7:15 p.m.

I have removed all of the 360 factory suspension

I cut done the spring leaves and clamped/aligned the parts of the front beam to verify that everything will work together.  Then took it all apart and cut the beam towers apart to straddle the Subaru frame rails. Also plating the rails for extra strength

Cut off the factory Subaru shock towers and bump stop mounts

and got tires.  195/40-16 fronts and 215/40-16 rears

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/29/19 6:47 p.m.

Top half of the beam is welded in.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/30/19 7:00 p.m.

Made good progress on the front suspension today.  Everything is welded in. Just need to shorten the passenger side steering arm and replace the lower ball joint on the drivers side.  Someone installed it 90 degrees out, which means it would have no travel. I managed to ruin it while trying to press it out.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/31/19 5:49 p.m.

Front suspension swap is done except for threading the shortened steering arm. Tap arrives on Tuesday.  Started on the rear suspension. Sandblasted the rear trailing arms and am installing new bearings, seals and disc brakes.  The arms were already disassembled when I got them with all of the parts in a plastic bag.  At least I hope its all of the parts!

Pete Gossett
5/31/19 8:24 p.m.

You’re making awesome progress on this one!

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nvr0It27oOMvG18p7inLfBjCfzVrhqfNShfJxTzHIUm2GF4g3irTSWznZLBAxBv1