1 2 3 4
badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
5/8/17 6:32 p.m.

I thought of all those other options. I even have that funky adapter plate that mates the 2.3 ford engine to a RWD trans. That reminds me, I need to sell that thing.

Anyways, yes, Subaru is an unlikely suspect for sure. The weird thing is that I have not even yet convinced myself that this is a good plan. I just happen to have a wrecked WRX chassis that I could have sold but instead decided to experiment. I have already made most of my money back from selling all the body panels and seats and other non-essentials so, no real harm done plus, I'm having fun!

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
5/9/17 6:30 a.m.
badfrogg wrote: plus, I'm having fun!

And that is the name of the game right there.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/9/17 7:24 a.m.
badfrogg wrote: Who ordered the Chop Suey!

More like Chop Subie, am I right?

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/9/17 8:10 a.m.
mikedd969 wrote: If I was going to attempt a really unusual 240z swap, I'm not sure what I'd try, One of the new Ford 2.3 Eco-boost motors from a Focus ST?

i have a buddy doing the turbo 2.3 from the new mustangs into a z car.

the z car have basically become the 'Simpsons' of engine swaps.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/9/17 9:19 a.m.
no real harm done plus, I'm having fun!

Pretty much what drives my effort. If I wanted a car, I coulda just bought one.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
5/10/17 4:25 p.m.

The First Change in direction

This was something that I was kinda expecting. The rear floor rises up in front of the rear sub-frame. This is where Subaru puts their fuel tanks. I really wanted to figure a way to keep the tank and keep it in this position, but it is not possible. Cannot fit a seat over that hump E36 M3! (BTW. That my first time using that euphemism! I had to go look up what was so bad about an actual E36 M3)

Oh well.

At this point I will now shift the focus to cutting the rest of the Subaru down until I just have the sub-frame mounts and strut towers. No more using the whole chassis and frame rails.

I will focus on keeping the Z frame rails, up until the engine area at least.

Here you can see what a Subaru shorted to 90.7" wheelbase looks like.

P.S.

I had not sat behind the wheel of a Z car in 20 years before I took this picture. I've never had a seat in it until now. I did have a 260 Z way back in the day though so I know how it feels to drive one. It really is a special car indeed.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
5/24/17 9:31 a.m.

No more chassis swap.

Remember that first post with the crazy ancient alien guy... Yeah that's how I feel about trying to swap the Chassis of a uni-body car now.

So, the plan moving forward is;

I want to get the Z on a rotisserie and start to restore the under side. I still want to use the drive-line, suspension and brake parts from the WRX.

I need to go out and get some steel tube material and will start designing and fabing a semi tube frame. I want to keep the fabrication to a minimum in the rear so likely just moving the rear sub-frame pickup point and relocating the strut tops.

In the front it will likely be a whole-sale tube frame from the firewall forward.

I am shopping now for a halfway decent tube bender with a couple of dies.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/24/17 9:42 a.m.

In reply to badfrogg:

Still Subie powered?

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
5/24/17 4:05 p.m.

Yes, Still Subie Turbo power! For really the only reason as I have one already. If I had unlimited funds and tools and time I would probably have gone with a Honda V6 power plant. I Would love 300 HP of V6 Honda Power! A Toyota V8 is also one of my favorite NA motors. No doubt that the iron block L6 turbo engines are awesome. I actually put a 1JZ into a Toyota 4Runner once. We made a custom transmission by splicing a couple of R154s & R151s together with the 4Runner transfer case. It was am abomination! (in a good way!)

Smoke
Smoke New Reader
5/27/17 10:25 a.m.

This will be so cool when done. I have faith. A guy put one in a 510 a few years ago. [URL=http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/nathanaelwm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-11/B0CEB1EA-4688-49DA-90EA-78F20CFC90AA_zpsxjwnkjrn.jpg.html][/URL]

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
5/27/17 11:50 a.m.

Dumb question but why not sell the subie drivetrain and go for what you really want in it? A 1uz isn't that expensive. I doubt a Honda v6 is all that pricey either.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
5/31/17 2:56 p.m.

I could but I already have everything I need with the Subaru platform. Its not just and engine and trans. It a tone of other stuff like a complete wire harness, computer (that is programmable!), switches, fuse boxes and relays, hydraulics, pedals. steering, maybe even air conditioning. All the stuff you wouldn't think you need until you need it!

Also, I really know Subaru well. The FSMs are the best I've ever seen and I just like how they build their stuff.

BTW, I seen that picture of the Subaru powered 510 before but I've never been able to find a build blog on it. I would love to know more!

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
5/31/17 10:59 p.m.

It's like your thinking Kentucky Fried when it's clearly rotisserie time baby!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/31/17 11:10 p.m.

Rotisseries rock. Just don't do any cutting on the tub while it is in the air because you will make a banana twist.

As to the Subbie engine in the 240Z?...I remain to be sold on the concept. I will admit that much of that reticence is based on the fact that I am not a fan of the boxer engine in my FRS.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/1/17 4:23 a.m.

I've never worked on a car on a rotisserie, but I have to imagine that having on demand access to every part of the chassis is pretty freaking awesome.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/1/17 5:29 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I've never worked on a car on a rotisserie, but I have to imagine that having on demand access to every part of the chassis is pretty freaking awesome.

You got that right. When doing stuff like this, it is better than a hoist. Now that the Molvo is on its wheels, I am going to miss being able to do all the work on the car while standing up.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
6/1/17 9:17 a.m.

I will definitely not be cutting anything while on the rotisserie.

I am a big fan if the Subaru boxer. But all my Subies have been EJ series engines. Don't really know about the BRZ. I'm also not a big fan of small high compression engines beyond a motorcycle size. I rather just have displacement in an NA motor.

The boxer engine does have some benefits. Lightweight, low center of gravity and very short in the longitudinal direction. Boxers are known for good torque to HP ratio too. I think that they are easy to work on as well.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/2/17 8:33 a.m.

In reply to badfrogg:

Have you considered the EG33?

230 hp in NA trim. Add a turbo, and easily blow past 300.

You should have enough length in that nose for 2 more cylinders.

badfrogg
badfrogg New Reader
6/2/17 1:37 p.m.

The EJ205 that i have now is already at that HP rating. Also, its not so much the length of the engine compartment but the oil pan interference. The 4cyl boxer will fit entirely behind the front cross member making it a front-mid engine layout. Not sure about the 6 though, I only guess that it's oil pan is farther forward in relation to the transmission mount surface.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/2/17 2:06 p.m.

I'll keep an open mind, but having owned both, the Datsun engine is so much sweeter, if slower. However, I am anxiously awaiting the outcome to be proven wrong!

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
6/2/17 3:35 p.m.

Just adding fuel to the fire but the EZ30 and 36 are timing chain motors and take up the same space as a EJ. I know that would require sourcing more parts that you don't have but if you were even entertaining the thought of the flat 6 I wanted you to know. Just doing my part as an enabler of fantastic automotive shenanigans.

Plus it must work, it has "easy" as part of its name.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/17 4:01 p.m.

When this thread started, the picture in my head was of a Sube engine and transaxle mounted behind the driver, with the FWD axles driving the rear wheels of the Z. Looks like I missed something.

Smoke
Smoke New Reader
6/3/17 8:26 a.m.

I wish I could get more about the 510. There is a build thread on it. It's not very descriptive and on an Australian forum. The thread is so old most the pics are gone. I have the 3 pics still available. He did over 3-4 years and was a running driving car in the end. I will try to find it again for you though and post the link up for you.

EDIT:

http://datnet.org/topic/1235-ej20t-powered-1600-now-with-pics/

badfrogg
badfrogg Reader
6/3/17 1:25 p.m.

I will say that a flat 6 sounds so much better than the 4. I will try to make room for a 6 swap in the future.

I don't think I could pull off a rear engnine, plus, my rough estimates say that a front-mid engine Subaru powered Z will be slightly tail heavy already. Hmm... A 6 night be the answer after all.

I appreciate all the positive support. Only on GRM could crazy automotive blasphemy be embraced. What a great community you guys got going on! Thanks.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/3/17 2:10 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

I had that vision as well.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M0B1kNfwPHCVRVurfLMCJ51jWBuS7RQqIPmxzW5PtBW9qeodzNcHMp6ghPz4DKEp