Scargod
Scargod New Reader
1/21/15 9:39 p.m.

I need a manual rack and pinion that is wide and fairly fast. I need a width of around 27 inches. De-powered power-steering racks, in general, seem to have faster steering ratios. The Miata for example. I have looked and so far the closest thing I can find is this Flaming River Cobra rack @ 25" It's been slow going trying to find the dimensions of possible donors from production cars. New is not a problem yet I'd rather not spend near $1K for a custom made one. Thoughts?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
1/21/15 10:59 p.m.

86-91 Mazda RX7 maybe?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/15 1:29 p.m.

Why not de-power the Subaru rack the car is designed to use?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/22/15 1:39 p.m.

A manual pinto rack is a popular choice.

Scargod
Scargod New Reader
1/22/15 6:26 p.m.

Some of these have been considered, but frankly, I think they are all way too short. I would have bad bump-steer. I am using Racing Aspirations for my front suspension design, plus Pete Agapoglou is assisting me and Anze Suspension is working on Penske shocks for me and giving me suspension input. Thanks If you can't measure them or don't have access to lengths then guessing is not very helpful to me. Believe me, I have had lots of suggestions. Here is my 818R build thread on the Factory Five Forum. I am using an S2000 front upright. It's a long story but the Subaru parts are too heavy and too much of a compromise for me. I'm not using anything Subaru in the front.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/22/15 7:02 p.m.

FC RX7 rack is 23" (just went out and measured mine)

Tell Pete I say Hi

Thread in extensions and extend the body to get the length you want.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/22/15 7:36 p.m.

I've had custom racks made by Unisteer Performance. www.unisteer.com I have one in my Cobra tribute that uses C5 Corvette suspension. The cost was extremely reasonable.

It's been 8 years since I purchased one but at the time they were great to deal with.

Scargod
Scargod New Reader
1/23/15 1:03 p.m.

I've yet to call manufacturers. It was suggested that modifying the rack was not the best way to go, and I don't want four joints in the rack that could potentially come loose or fail. I could see welding on extensions, but that also has it's risks.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/23/15 4:26 p.m.

Pete's a good welder. His stuff wouldn't come apart.

nhmercracer
nhmercracer New Reader
1/27/15 7:36 p.m.

I'll take a walk through the racks tomorrow and see if anything looks particularly wide.

nhmercracer
nhmercracer New Reader
1/31/15 7:46 a.m.

Porsche Cayenne looks to be the widest rack with "normal" mounting tabs. Tundra rack is wider, but with weird mounting points. I was looking at the width of the actual rack, not the distance rod end to rod end.

I can go back with a tape measure next week if you loke.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ratPFwMTKuhqtmVwSIRhYwhWlIZaVXUxicnCbzUViJlGjQ96WxQd2VRT2pH9INha