1 2 3 ... 7
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 8:34 a.m.

This thread will mostly be about the red 98, but i'll probably put updates for the blue 2000 in here as well, since in my mind that truck doesn't really deserve its own build thread at this point.

But i'll start with the blue one.

Bought this.... 4(?) years ago for SWMBO and got a good deal on it. It had 172k miles on it, now has just about 200k. We don't really put miles on it. It's been a great rig for her to drive year round and not worry about weather, if it'll start, and she really likes it.

Specs/Mods:
2000 Cherokee 4x4 Sport 4.0
AW4 auto trans
NP231 t-case
D30 front, 8.25" rear
Rancho RS9000XL 10-way adjustable shocks
Rancho 2.5" lift kit
Rubicon Express Track Bar
ES/Rancho poly bushings everywhere
Grand Cherokee 1-piece tie rod upgrade
Performance Curve 3" mandrel exhaust w/ Magnaflow spun cat
Yoko Geolandar AT-S 30x9.5s
Some high end Alpine headunit of some kind
Alpine "PowerPack" amp, Polk DB651s front and rear.

And that's the blue Jeep.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 8:40 a.m.

Two days ago, i picked up this thing, after torturing you all trying to come up with a good SUV that wasn't a Cherokee, and more importantly, wasn't red.

Our victim: A 1998 Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0 5spd 2dr. NP231 t-case/D30/8.25" combo again.

187k miles, runs strong. (Quietest 4.0 i've ever heard) Tons and tons of new parts.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 8:47 a.m.

Issues with the Red Jeep:

1) As i'm prone to buying... it's a red vehicle with some wiring berkeleyery done by the previous owner. It has an aftermarket cruise control setup (MY FAVORITE! Remember when i had to remove one from the MSM? How about the awful wiring E36 M3 on the red miata?) that was installed (improperly) with vamp clamps everywhere. Due to this moronic install, i melted/blew the brake light fuse yesterday. For now, i just disconnected the power line from the cruise module and threw another fuse in it. Will do a full cruise-ectomy this Sunday.

2) Rear view mirror fell off on the way home yesterday. Awesome.

3) Has some body damage from an old accident. I'll push out what i can from the inside, maybe get a new hatch, call it good.

4) On the driver's side, it's missing the door bash guard. Don't care, was going to remove them anyways. HOWEVER, it looks like the passenger side one fell off at some point, and somebody's "solution" was to this time, re-attach it to the door using wood screws. Not so awesome. I'll weld the holes shut, grind it down, and probably just bedline the truck below that body line.

5) The entire HVAC system, both heating and a/c is brand new. Awesome, right? Sure, except when whomever did the install didn't put the big boots back in the truck that seal the area where the lines go in and out of the cabin. Lots of hot air and probably water at some point coming inside. Disconnecting all those lines just to put a boot on isn't on my list of "Hey this sounds fun," so i'll probably just use some poly spray foam for now to seal it up.

6) Motor mounts are completely hosed.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 8:58 a.m.

Short-term plans:

1) Replace motor mounts. Looking at the M.O.R.E. BombProof poly mounts. Probably just a stock rubber mount for the transmission.

2) Drain/Fill transmission. Seems there may have been some confusing as to what fluid is actually supposed to go in this thing, and i'd rather not take any chances.

3) New EV6 design Neon injectors. Supposedly this gives a 1-2mpg jump, and at 187k miles, can't hurt to try vs. some old crusty EV1 injectors, right?

4) 00-01 intake manifold. Supposedly this gives a bump on the older XJs. Legend says that the 00-01 motor makes more power due to manifolds, despite the head actually being worse. Worth a shot.

5) Doesn't NEED, but could use tires. Will keep an eye on CL for a wheel/tire package deal because i don't want to sink money into new tires that won't stay on it for long, due to some longer term plans.

6) Stereo. Stock stereo doesn't sound AWFUL, but it's a tape deck. No CD player, no aux input. This needs to change.

7) Steering wheel. There's some awful cover on a thoroughly trashed stock wheel right now. Thinking a classic Grant 3-spoke to go with the 8-ball shift knob that will inevitably happen.

Long-Term Plans
I've had to compromise on some things for the blue Jeep because i didn't want to give SWMBO something that's a pain in the ass to drive on the street, and she's small. For myself? I don't care that much, and i'll build/drive whatever i want. In a way, this Jeep will save the blue Jeep from me "destroying" it.

1) 5.5-6.5" lift and 33" tires. Indiana Badlands isn't far from me, and i'd like to go play. Still looking around for kits, open to suggestions. Currently have a hard-on for the Iron Rock Offroad 6.5" Critical Path long arm kit. Spendy, but when i consider that the MSRP of the kit on the blue jeep is around 60% of the cost, it's really not awful in the grand scheme of things.

2) Sheet metal bumpers, tow recovery points, winch, roof rack, lights, all that jazz.

3) Supercharger? After seeing this video, i was filled with an epic amount of want. http://youtu.be/yqFW0rBFzQk

Kit is reasonably priced.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
10/29/14 8:58 a.m.

I miss my 2 door 5 speed xj, was just like yours but green. Seeing your dash picture reminds me the stupid hvac had no blend option. Frustrating. I ditched mine as the frame cracked by the steering box and I didn't want to mess with it.

enjoy!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
10/29/14 9:01 a.m.

You got it for free, right?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 9:21 a.m.
daytonaer wrote: I miss my 2 door 5 speed xj, was just like yours but green. Seeing your dash picture reminds me the stupid hvac had no blend option. Frustrating. I ditched mine as the frame cracked by the steering box and I didn't want to mess with it. enjoy!

Yeah... the fact to get any flow through the vents has to have the fan on is a bit annoying.

Bobzilla wrote: You got it for free, right?

Don't make me drag your cute little 4.8 truck down the road with this thing.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
10/29/14 1:24 p.m.

Jesus, my 20 year old XJ doesn't have as many problems yours does. Then again everything that IS wrong with it, I did myself.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 1:37 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Jesus, my 20 year old XJ doesn't have as many problems yours does. Then again everything that IS wrong with it, I did myself.

Mo' owners mo' problems.

None of them are major. The motor mounts is the only thing that really bugs me, and i'm sure if it was an automatic, i wouldn't notice. I know the mounts in the blue one are shot, too. But... automagic, don't notice it.

I'm being pretty critical of this thing honestly. I've already put 120 miles on it since Monday, and running-wise, it's been fine. Motor keeps getting quieter. (Sat for 2 months before i got it.) I'll say again i've never heard a 4.0 this quiet.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/29/14 2:01 p.m.

My 99 has a 5.5-6" lift and 33s. It has 3.55s and really needs to be regeared. I never use OD anymore. I went with a long arm kit as well, but I can't remember what brand right now since it's been years since I did the lift. I'll have to dig through my notes and see what I put on it. When I lifted it I also did a winch bumper, ramsey 8k winch, and roof rack. Looking back I would have been okay with a 2-3" lift, 31s, and a good set of skids. Both the winch and roof rack came in handy when we used the XJ for camping.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 2:07 p.m.

I'd probably be ok with a 3" and 31s, but where's the fun in that?

And i think i want to go play at Indiana Badlands.

This is the kit i'm lusting over: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X6CPK&Category_Code=XLK

Was just talking to a dude who put 150k miles on that very kit, and is just NOW noticing worn joints. Says it's comfy on the highway, and he's run it all through Moab and such. I'm sold.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
10/29/14 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Bring it.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
10/29/14 4:55 p.m.

Great, now I want an old Jeep Cherokee.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 5:02 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Great, now I want an old Jeep Cherokee.

Full disclosure, at least in my area, these are rapidly getting more expensive to the point that i somewhat doubt i'll buy another. I don't think i'd struggle much to sell the blue one for $5k these days, and we paid $3000 for it 4 years ago.

They're awesome awesome rigs in almost every way, but they're way more awesome when you can get decent ones for $2k. On the plus side, the parts support for them is unreal. I used to think Miatas enjoyed an awesome aftermarket. Then we got a Cherokee.

And they're addictive. I could quite easily blow $50k building one.

But yeah... the price is why i had that other thread going looking for alternatives. I'd be taking a long hard look at Rodeos, Troopers, and Monteros these days for the money. This was an accidental "i can't pass this up" purchase.

But yeah. You should want an old XJ Cherokee. Because they rule.

The only other thing is that once you get one, you'll have to get a Miata. Because Cherokees and Miatas go hand in hand. This is why we have a red cherokee and Miata, and a blue Cherokee and Miata.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/14 7:04 p.m.

Great...I've been holding out on the Badlands since I got the Vitara in May(I'm only 1/2-hour away). Now you're going to post all kinds of awesome tales about your adventures there & I'll end up getting suckered into making a trip over sometime.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
10/29/14 8:51 p.m.

So, what you going to do with the aftermarket cruise?

If its going to be trashcan weight, could i get it? Really want to add cruise control to a couple of classic cars, and need something to experiment with.

Also, I lovsd the 2000 Cherokee sport we had when I worked for dss. First time id ever forded a creek. Best off-road and snow vehicle (stock) ive ever driven.

Still want one of my own, but as you've said they're getting too rich for my blood.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Oh, and if you hate red so much, why not two tone it along the body line? Satin black upper and red lower should look pretty wicked.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
10/29/14 8:53 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

Nice Purse

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I was going to sell it, it works fine. Sold the setup off the MSM for $60, but for a GRMer... make offer/buy me some beer. I'll let you know when I have it out.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 9:28 p.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

I got it from Tar-jay. So fancy.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 9:29 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Thinking about maybe trying Haspin first... I have no offroad experience at all. Truck isn't capable yet so you might succumb before I even go.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/14 2:04 a.m.

I love those Jeeps, of all the small SUVs we've had at work they were the most bombproof. A few winters ago I spent about 20 hours a day in one pulling buses out of snow banks.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
10/30/14 7:38 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Great...I've been holding out on the Badlands since I got the Vitara in May(I'm only 1/2-hour away). Now you're going to post all kinds of awesome tales about your adventures there & I'll end up getting suckered into making a trip over sometime.

Let me know and I'll bring the beer and Camera.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/30/14 9:30 a.m.

Do we need a GRM Badlands meet?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
10/30/14 9:37 a.m.

No, because you'll make me regret getting rid of the Dakota and buying this Daytona instead of putting a 318 in the truck like I had planned.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/30/14 11:05 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I'd probably be ok with a 3" and 31s, but where's the fun in that? And i think i want to go play at Indiana Badlands. This is the kit i'm lusting over: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X6CPK&Category_Code=XLK Was just talking to a dude who put 150k miles on that very kit, and is just NOW noticing worn joints. Says it's comfy on the highway, and he's run it all through Moab and such. I'm sold.

I know.one of the designers over there.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cy4NuZTGlksc1X9n1EYnFcA3DGMIVyM0go8f3Uk3ziYtM6ClHraGP3aPQJtjfjmA