1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/19 11:54 p.m.

Alright, first event in the books. Check out the video here: 

The car performed flawlessly and it really took me by surprise how good it is out of the box. I am by no means a "Nationals-level" driver and yet I was able to win CS the first time out and place 2nd in the S2 Index out of 10, and 25th of 76 on overall raw times. I couldn't be more pleased with the results, I think it really shows that I am barking up the right tree with this car. I was also the fastest Porsche, besting another CS 986 S and a BS 987 S Cayman (and my codriver).

Javelin
3/4/19 10:34 a.m.

And the second event is also in the books, video including GoPro footage from in car here: 

Once again the car was flawless, we had no issues at all. It was really great through fast transitions and the high-speed slalom section was epic! Once again I got 2nd in Index out of 9 and 23rd of 71 overall but the really impressive part was setting the 4th fastest overall raw time in the morning run group (which was 7* colder than the afternoon run group). For the first weekend out and as little development as I have done so far I couldn't be happier. My co-driver was also the 2nd fastest female overall raw and PAX and was stoked at how well it drove.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm on to something here...

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/19 12:26 p.m.

Part of your success is very likely from competing in a car that is hard to drive fast (live axle Mustang) and going to one with a far better design.  I’m glad you are having a blast.  I’m going to try and get at it later this spring myself.  I had the far all packed and ready but went to the doc Saturday morning instead with my lil girl.

Javelin
3/4/19 3:44 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Sorry to hear about your daughter! Everything okay?

AnthonyGS
3/4/19 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

She’s all better today.  Back to school tomorrow.  Signed up for event in May.  We have our 10th wedding anny vacay in April.  Probably be ready to autoX the challenge car this summer.  March will be sell Miata month and blow out Mustang parts to get out of storage unit.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/4/19 9:47 p.m.

Ever since we ran our Boxster at Nationals, I maintained that it could be a winning car with some development. The handling is so sweet and easy to drive at the limit

Javelin
3/5/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Mustang parts you say???

Javelin
3/5/19 10:21 a.m.
loosecannon said:

Ever since we ran our Boxster at Nationals, I maintained that it could be a winning car with some development. The handling is so sweet and easy to drive at the limit

I think you may be correct. I need to find a hot shoe who's actually a fast driver to take it out.

Javelin
3/7/19 2:36 p.m.

Today I analyzed the data from the first two events. Surprisingly, I was the 3rd fastest car raw in my run group day 1! I figured out I need a way to put heat in / retain heat in the tires without having a codriver.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/19 3:14 p.m.

Semi-related: how do you get an autocross number? Is one assigned on your first time at an SCCA event or what? I'll be at the next race at PIR but I'm not sure how I can number the car before I go.

Javelin
3/7/19 3:34 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Check your class/index to see if anyone is using the number you want. If not, it's yours at registration. Note that the software doesn't allow single digits, so you'd be "04" instead of "4". I highly recommend magnetic numbers, they are affordable and easy and allow you to somewhat "claim" your number. I've been using 15 since 2001.

thatsnowinnebago
3/7/19 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

That's all on OR SCCA's website, right?

Javelin
3/7/19 7:27 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

The links are. The actual registration is through scorekeeper.

thatsnowinnebago
3/8/19 2:20 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Sweet, thanks!

/threadjack

AnthonyGS
3/8/19 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I actually ordered mag numbers from autox numbers after seeing your vid. 

Mustang parts, you should buy my 03 IRS setup....  or not.  Shipping would be pretty rough.

Javelin
3/8/19 9:53 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

In reply to Javelin :

I actually ordered mag numbers from autox numbers after seeing your vid. 

Mustang parts, you should buy my 03 IRS setup....  or not.  Shipping would be pretty rough.

Awesome on the magnets!

On the IRS, where the berk were you last year when I had to replace TWO differentials in the Cobra?!? Gah!

It's okay... it's a drag car now basically.

Javelin
3/16/19 12:47 p.m.

Take a ride in the Boxster for ORSCCA Autocross #1 at Portland International Raceway!

Javelin
3/23/19 1:34 p.m.

I'm spending the day preparing for the next event tomorrow, and planning the next changes.

Javelin
3/23/19 11:54 p.m.

While I'm busy driving at event 3, you can watch how I did at event 2!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/24/19 7:01 a.m.

I'm glad this is working out so well. I've only driven Boxters on course a couple of times but I adore them every time I do. It's interesting to go from difficult to drive non-competitive cars to something good. I bought a nationally competitive STS car a few years ago and was immediately nipping at the heels of the national level guys after years of being solidly mid pack. I think sometimes you also get a car that you just "click" with that plays to your strengths. It's a cool feeling. 

Javelin
3/30/19 2:47 p.m.

Disaster strikes! The Boxster caught a cracked wheel while car shopping and had to take the flatbed home. Luckily the tire seems to have survived and the wheel should be fixable. But now it's dilemma time, do we fix the cracked one or buy a replacement? 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/30/19 4:23 p.m.

Buy a replacement.  While people have told me they've had success welding wheels I simply refuse to run one.  Especially in a motorsports environment.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
3/30/19 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Is this an opportunity to buy four lighter versions of the same sized wheel? For safety of course. wink

Javelin
3/30/19 9:08 p.m.
docwyte said:

Buy a replacement.  While people have told me they've had success welding wheels I simply refuse to run one.  Especially in a motorsports environment.

Good point. Used ones are less tha $200 shipped each for the rears. Apparently the other side has already been welded once.

Javelin
3/30/19 9:09 p.m.
freestyle said:

In reply to Javelin :

Is this an opportunity to buy four lighter versions of the same sized wheel? For safety of course. wink

Ugggghhh! I'm tired of spending money right now! frown

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xl4HrUHld4H9bRezT0jTze7P40AM2BlmNjwjWNphcifxmODZgSop4c1kYzT5GNod