7/14/19 10:21 a.m.
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/19 6:13 p.m.

Success! We finished 13 and 15 of 19.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/14/19 6:29 p.m.

Fastest Boxster and beat an S2000 amd a couple of invincible NDs.  Given your total outlay and limited time with the car, I’d call it a big success.  Congrats.

Javelin
7/14/19 7:36 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Fastest Boxster and beat an S2000 amd a couple of invincible NDs.  Given your total outlay and limited time with the car, I’d call it a big success.  Congrats.

Thank you!! There were 3 cars in the class with shocks that literally cost more than my entire car, mods included. We feel really good about the weekend, and we drove there and home on the tires, including on a gravel road. We take Street Car seriously!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/14/19 11:37 p.m.

Aha, thought I recognized your name on the results!
In your last video you turn around just before getting to my car (The slow silver MR2, not to be confused with the holy-crap-fast one from Kansas)
Nice work!

Javelin
7/16/19 4:30 p.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose :

Dammit, I missed a GRMer! Glad you made it out and had fun as well. Are you doing the ProSolo this weekend too?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/16/19 9:43 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Nosir, between the 'getting my ass handed to me' part, the 8 hours of driving, and the clutch on the dos not being quite as grabby as it was a month ago, opting out.

(Plus not sure I'm hardcore enough to camp next to my car back-to-back weekends)

Javelin
7/20/19 1:07 p.m.

SCCA Packwood ProSolo now for Project Porsche!

Javelin
7/20/19 1:09 p.m.

My co-driver is currently 7th of 11 in L2 and is just 2 tenths out of qualifying for the Ladies Challenge bracket after morning runs.

I bumped classes to FP to fill a field so I'm getting ready to run last again.

Javelin
7/20/19 11:13 p.m.

The car scaled at 2984 with 1/3 tank.

Javelin
7/21/19 2:59 p.m.
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/19 9:03 p.m.

Congrats to your co-driver!  And congrats to you for having fun. 

So do you like driving this car in competition more than your Cobra?  I'm having a hard time getting into my CAM challenge car, and would rather tinker on my Boxster.  I'm real tempted to go all in on the yellow little convertible. 

Javelin
7/22/19 10:03 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Congrats to your co-driver!  And congrats to you for having fun. 

So do you like driving this car in competition more than your Cobra?  I'm having a hard time getting into my CAM challenge car, and would rather tinker on my Boxster.  I'm real tempted to go all in on the yellow little convertible. 

That's a great question! We were discussing this a lot over this weekend and the answer is complicated, it depends. For regular autocross, up to NT level courses, the 986 is more capable by a long shot, and more fun on any surface that's half way decent. For ProSolo though, no question, the CAM Cobra is better all day long. The 986 does *not* like drag-style launches and the courses are so short and "straight-ish" that there's no where to make up the groud lost at the begining. We're going to pull the Cobra out of the mothball fleet and get it prepped for a new class, likely ESP since it's basically illegal in CAM, and use it for ProSolo events.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/19 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

How is it illegal for CAM?  I thought that was a pretty wide open class.  Drag launches are definitely an American V8 car thing.  

I really enjoyed my time out in the Boxster.  It is seriously forgiving and you can really feel what the car is doing, wants you to do and can do.  You can overdrive the heck out of a Boxster and it just slows you down.  Overdrive a SN95 Mustang and its spin city all day long.  

I can leave fairly hard in my Boxster but I’ve had much 1/4 mile experience and have low fear of breakage.  Fear is key.  It does lack torque though.  It’s almost unbelievable that the M96 in my Boxster is almost identical to the one in my 996 which pulls way harder.  I’m seriously considering a rebuild of my 996 so I can drive it hard.  The 50 hp difference feels like 100 after 5,000 rpm.

Javelin
7/22/19 1:08 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

My Cobra is a 96, so it's in CAM-C which just had it's minimum weight raised to 3450 lbs from 3250 last year. My car scaled at 3261 at last year's ProSolo and it's stock weight with A/C, PS, PDL, PW, cruise, stereo, etc all still in the car and functional. I'm not adding 200lbs to a car because the SCCA won't let it race in CAM-T with the other fox bodies.

On the 986, we have way more traction than diff can handle on the 285 RE71R's. If you try a high rpm drag launch it will spin one tire or try and nuke the clutch. I could slip the clutch with about 3500 RPM's, but it wasn't happy doing that back to back to back. It's a factory stock 986 S clutch with 30k+ miles on it, which we can't upgrade anyway.

AnthonyGS
7/22/19 6:57 p.m.

Sheesh the weight increase is enough to make me want to terminate my SN95 CAM challenge car.  Are they trying to give it to late model 1LE Camaros and GT350s?  They should put the SN in CAM T since its the same chassis.

Javelin
7/22/19 7:02 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Right?! 

I'm thinking of writing a letter to the SCCA recommending a split in CAM to CAM-1 (78 and older but including 2nd Gen Camaro to 81), CAM-2 (79 to 02 including SN95 Mustangs to 04), and CAM-3 (03 and newer including GTO, etc) with weights matching.

AnthonyGS
7/23/19 3:41 p.m.

The SCCA figuring out a way to make the SN95 Mustang less fun.  I was considering building my SN for CAM long term, but if I have to add lead, I’m out.  There is another West Coaster here with a CAM SN too.  Maybe you should file a group letter?  Making my 250 hp SN weigh as much as a 526 hp GT350 is not the path to parity.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/19 4:59 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Right?! 

I'm thinking of writing a letter to the SCCA recommending a split in CAM to CAM-1 (78 and older but including 2nd Gen Camaro to 81), CAM-2 (79 to 02 including SN95 Mustangs to 04), and CAM-3 (03 and newer including GTO, etc) with weights matching.

Good luck with that. CAM has no steering committee, all of the rules are run through Raleigh and Howard. 

CAM-C is catered towards the new-newer cars and they raised the Min weight to penalize the 4 cyl turbo camaro which was right on the 3250 bubble. 

You can write the lettern but I wouldn't expect changes for a car that even at the old weight is outclassed. 

spacecadet
7/23/19 5:02 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Making my 250 hp SN weigh as much as a 526 hp GT350 is not the path to parity.  

CAM has never been about parity. It's about attracting cars from the pro touring autox groups outside the SCCA to SCCA events. It's also a convenient way to encourage local participation because the open rules encourage people to come play by bucking the normal trends of the SCCA that encourage class parity. 

spacecadet
7/23/19 5:19 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Right?! 

If you want the best luck on your letter I might be more focused in your ask. 

You might make the case for mustang and Camaro with Solid axles to get into CAM-T. 

And you can run the mustang in CAM-S as it sits BTW. 

AnthonyGS
7/23/19 6:15 p.m.
spacecadet said:
AnthonyGS said:

Making my 250 hp SN weigh as much as a 526 hp GT350 is not the path to parity.  

CAM has never been about parity. It's about attracting cars from the pro touring autox groups outside the SCCA to SCCA events. It's also a convenient way to encourage local participation because the open rules encourage people to come play by bucking the normal trends of the SCCA that encourage class parity. 

If that’s the case why the weight rules?  The recent changes debunk all of this.  You had a bunch of ZL1 and GT350 owners crying about parity hence the change.  

GlockandRoll
GlockandRoll
9/11/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I just bought this same car, same year and color even, so I'll gladly be watching this!

Javelin
2/1/20 11:32 a.m.

Oh boy, I kinda let this thread wither on the vine. In CAM news, the SN95's did get added to CAM-T the week after I sold my Cobra, so there is that. 

The Boxster is still with me and still in C Street. In fact, I'm getting ready to do a lot more to it to get it more competitive. This season our local SCCA is 16 events and we are co-driving with the club chair hand her husband (so the two ladies will co-drive the car in CSL and the two gentlemen will co-drive in CS as the L classes run opposite run groups from the open) so we need to be on our game for maintenance and upkeep.

Here's the to-do list for next week, but I promise to get back on the saddle for both this thread and the car.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zkEacQr7qJYpsvodsJegoOcWPsOIwwWvfJNNTQ4FQyZiGL6hmF2xHqxfdkVPpgNx