Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/1/20 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I shall put it in the pile of Michael. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/1/20 5:58 p.m.

It may wind up on the pile of corvair. Or pile of neon. Or just a pile....

Stampie
3/1/20 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

As long as the pile isn't at my house unattached to a vehicle. 

Stampie
3/5/20 10:16 a.m.

In case you were wondering, yes a carbon fiber RX8 driveshaft does appear to bolt up directly to a 350z diff. Means hopefully just swapping the trans yoke gets me a zeroed out custom driveshaft.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/20 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That's a very interesting finding there.  And topical to me.

Are you going to have to change the length at all?

Stampie
3/5/20 12:12 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I was wanting something about 8 inches shorter than the 350z driveshaft.  This will be more like 10-12 once done if I use the 350z trans yoke.  I'm trying to find out the spline count for the RX8 vs 350z to see if I can use it as is..  Fortunately for me I can build my chassis to fit the driveshaft length.  The RX8 driveshaft does have staked in U joints but looks like there's a tool to cut them out. 

TVR Scott
3/5/20 1:34 p.m.

How long is that RX-8 drive shaft?

Stampie
3/5/20 2:21 p.m.

u-u it is 42.5 inches.

TVR Scott
3/5/20 6:33 p.m.

I don't have the rear end installed right now, but I'm estimating I'll need a driveshaft length of about 18".   So I'd have a little left over from one of those.

Stampie
3/5/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Did you see Robbie's thread that I brought back? If you want I should have the 350z driveshaft minus the transmission yoke.  If you want to experiment with it.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/diy-carbon-fiber-axlesdriveshafts-also-anyone-have-a-broken-350z-driveshaft-i-can-have/150806/page1/

TVR Scott
3/5/20 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I did see that resurrected thread.  Found it after you posted to this thread.  Though I actually searched for "RX-8 driveshaft swap" on Google, read the whole old thread, and then discovered that you had resurrected it.

I will be interested in your cast-offs.

Stampie
3/5/20 10:14 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Funny how when you search for something cool Google always points back here.  Let me know your timeline cause that's something I'll get to whenever.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/20 8:11 a.m.
Stampie said:

u-u it is 42.5 inches.

Damn, that's almost perfect length for Datsaniti...would have saved me about $150 in the budget. Let me know what you find about the spline count.

Stampie
3/6/20 8:21 a.m.

The googles say the 350z yoke is 30/32.  Here's the RX8 yoke.

I count that as 23/25 so that won't work. Plan is to cut the stakes and hopefully swap yokes using the RX8 U joint.  Here's the stakes. 

Stampie
3/7/20 9:06 a.m.

Well that was easy enough. In my research yesterday I emailed a u joint store about with what I wanted to do. You can tell it's a small one man shop because I got an email back saying he was getting a knee MRI but he thought he had something if I converted to 1310 yoke. He asked if he could call me Monday. Sure thing and I started looking at eBay to see what Nissan offered. Looks like the SUVs and trucks had 1310 replaceable u joints. The Armada 4x4 driveshaft even looked like it might be close to the correct length. 

Went to the yard and was about to turn on the row for the Armada when I noticed the SUV on the next row was a Pathfinder. 

Added bonus was some guys had just finished pulling the engine and it's aluminum driveshaft was laying on the ground underneath it. That was easy enough. Didn't have to get a tool out or even get on the ground.

This yard has you put your phone number in as your check in. Every once in a while I get a text after check in with a discount coupon. Today I got a 25% off coupon but since I already have a membership I get 25% off to begin with. I've always assumed you couldn't combine them but decided to ask on check out. Hell yeah they gave me 50% off. Pretty sure I can sell the aluminum for scrap to recover my $15.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/7/20 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

holy berkeley, what a score

Stampie
3/7/20 12:28 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Cool thing is using Robbie's u-u trick on eBay I can build a custom length driveshaft for about $50 using junkyard parts. That's if the RX8 carbon fiber driveshaft doesn't work out. 

Stampie
3/8/20 11:37 a.m.

We got back from Amelia Island and I was ready to go. Last night when looking up stuff it appeared that the yoke I got was actually 1330. I saw some Nissan yokes like mine that were groved for both 1310 and 1330 so I wanted to see. Jumped on the press and not much longer I had this.

Unfortunately my yoke is 1330 only but I'll find out tomorrow if the U Joint man has something that'll work. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
3/8/20 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

for $16 at my local NAPA I just got a 1320-1330 conversion ujoint, it may well come OEM on something. Perhaps with that info there is one in the parts yard. Otherwise I'd bet you can get a new one pretty darn affordably online.

Stampie
3/8/20 5:13 p.m.

In reply to GoLucky :

Yeah problem is I need to go 1330 to some weird stuff. Other option is I build my own driveshaft in the junkyard. 

Stampie
3/12/20 10:08 p.m.

Got with pimpm3 the other day and we have a final price on the 350z. Here's the budget as it stands.

Known:

$200 Model T frame

$313 Nissan 350z ($260 cash, $33 labor 4 hours x $8.25, and $20 tip to ex boxer)

$30 Frame boxing material

Estimated

$150 Roll Cage (deal made just needs to be consummated)

$100 Timing chain (hope that's the actual problem with the engine)

$100 Wheels (need to junkyard them - high estimate)

$20 Junkyard driveshaft build

Recovery:

$0 None done to date

Total:

$913 

Stampie
3/14/20 2:36 p.m.
Patrick said:

I’ll give you 75 for it

Here's really why you didn't want it.  The hatch it closed. Big difference in gap from left to right.

Today's plan was simply make it not look like a total inop vehicle from the street.

Before

We removed the washer reservoir. In the process gaining two 10 mm nuts that I relocated places on the engine that were missing some. We netted a good reservoir, pump, and fill tube. 

We then removed the reminders of the broken plastic support up front yielding the first of what should be many donor 10 mm bolts.

And the after picture.

Stampie
3/16/20 4:46 p.m.

We have recovery!

After I accidently fixed the Miata horn Saturday it sounded like crap. Pull the 350z horns. 

And now the Miata horn sounds right. Added bonus of two 10 bolts for the bucket of free fasteners. 

Three most recent completed eBay auctions. 

I'll take the low of $25.

TVR Scott
3/17/20 10:24 a.m.

So what are you actually doing with the Z?  Is it purely for parts to scavenge and repurpose?  I feel like I missed the info on that.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
er53ITrEus038jestD0yvjAAIGDDGlTtg1nHVZrbInwDox2cThYsST7yJum8nnUK