1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 9:25 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I'm getting there. Hoping after the holidays I'll have all the major pieces. 

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter):

It's an 8Os block. I think the numbers worked out to 84. I'm just wanting to make sure it's stock because long term plans are replacing the cam with all the lift. 

Stampie (FS)
12/20/20 3:17 p.m.

1925 Model T

A few months ago I found a 25 Model T parts lot including a block. Well I need a block for it's serial number to get a title.  My good nephew picked them up near Boston for me. Not a bad haul for $100.  I'm especially excited about the three glass bowl fuel filters.

Stampie (FS)
1/2/21 10:52 a.m.

1928 Model A

My goal was to have all the major components by the 1st. I missed that goal but not like Angry two year and running late.

I needed a RX8 front subframe and a T5 transmission. Last week Lil Stampie and I drove south to get the front subframe but that didn't work out. I was hoping for a holiday sale for the New Year's but no go on that. I needed that subframe so today I went to the yard.

Here's our patient for today.

First I cut the column under the dash. Don't know why but I was hoping it'd just pop out of the hole in the dash.  Next I took the nuts off the spring perch and removed the four main nuts holding the subframe. These are the ones that kicked our behind last week. At this point there's the rear cross brace and then two 19 mm bolts holding the subframe. At least that's what I thought. I had read that you didn't need to pull the engine to remove the subframe. For some reason I took that as the engine wasn't attached to the subframe. As I was removing the last bolt I said oh E36 M3 the engine is coming down also. That's when I noticed the engine mounts on the subframe. Removed  them and the last bolt. Passenger side dropped but the drivers side hung up. Took the sawzall and cut brake lines and wires. Couldn't find the power steering hose. That's when I discovered this has electric power steering in the rack. I'll have to research that. Last hang up was the steering column of course. Removed it at the rack and tada!

I pulled the column up from the inside and took it also. Here's everything put together in hopes they don't charge me for everything. 

Got up to the counter and dude was cool. He even told me that he didn't charge me for the rack.

I total that up to a $140.46 budget hit with the brakes being exempt.

That's a pretty sweet junkyard score there.  Nice way to get a complete, well-braced, sporty front suspension.

Do give updates on the electric power steering.

Stampie (FS)
1/2/21 2:59 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Little bit of research shows there's a controller plus all complaints about how unreliable the system is. Saw that there's a video of a guy depowering the rack so I said that sounds like the KISS principle to me. 

Spent a few minutes decluttering the subframe.  Might take more off but here's what I got so far.

And the total is 2lbs 6 oz lost.

Stampie (FS)
1/8/21 4:33 p.m.

We got around to unloading the RX8 front end out of the truck. 

Lil Stampie sitting down on the job while operating the hoist. 

He guessed 150lbs and my guess was 200.  Little more than I hoped at 225.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2Girlsracing (Steffi) New Reader
1/8/21 6:46 p.m.

Wisefab do brackets to fit an E36m3 steering rack to the rx8 subframe, they're included as part of the lock kit. 

Stampie (FS)
1/8/21 9:23 p.m.

In reply to 2Girlsracing (Steffi) :

I have been looking at custom RX8 stuff and it's nice but this will be a half budget Challenge build first.  Maybe after I kick all the full budget behind I'll do some trick stuff on it.

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/9/21 5:54 a.m.

Its road trip time!

Stampie (FS)
1/9/21 9:52 a.m.

Thanks to Enyar we picked up a 5.0 short block and heads plus some seat sliders. Not totally sure what all we'll do with it but roller cam conversion and ported E7 heads are at the top of the list. Now to just learn how to port. 

Here I was hoping to see a turbo Saab motor...

Stampie (FS)
1/9/21 10:12 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

That's not my fault but could always swap a Saab in later. Although honestly I think I can make more HP with the 351w for less money. 

Stampie (FS)
1/9/21 10:40 a.m.

I forgot we got a driveshaft also so we at least have a yoke for a custom driveshaft. 

Stampie (FS)
1/16/21 7:07 p.m.

1928 Model A:

My shiny has been kicked by the driveshaft search.  Long story but most newer Mustang yokes are 1330 u joints.  The Q45 rear has a very rare flange and the driveshaft that comes on it isn't rebuildable.  I spent 8 hours over the last two days in the junkyard crawling under everything trying to find something 20 inches U-U.  I found a Nissan Xterra flange that would bolt to the Q45 diff but the indexing ring was wrong size and was 1310 u joint.  I found Ford T5 yokes that are 1310.  I could only find a Suzuki front driveshaft at 13 inches U-U or a Nissan Xterra rear driveshaft at 27 inches U-U.  That put my wheelbase at ~86 inches or ~100 inches.  Target was 90-96 inches.  

TLDR I found C3 Corvette half shafts on Ebay for $40 shipped.  1310 U joints and all should be good.

Stampie (FS)
1/18/21 11:03 a.m.

1928 Model A

My yard hasn't done holiday sales two holidays but they give a 25% discount with so many check ins. That plus my memberships for free entry/25% off gets me 50% off. Today was the final check in required to get that discount. 

Here's the haul. One T5 trans, clutch, clutch cable, shifter, flywheel, pressure plate, one drive shaft with a flange, and a yoke.

I didn't get charged for the clutch cable, shifter, yoke, or flange.  They charged me flexplate price for the pressure plate and fan clutch for the clutch. That saved me $5 on those items.

There was a discussion about 5 finger discount from the yards when that appeared in the rules. All of these items were out viewable and I told her what they were.  To me that makes it all fair game. 

However I forgot about the Carter fuel pump that was under the clutch until I was loading my truck. That's not fair game so I went back in and paid for that.

The disappointing thing is when I scouted T5s last month there were like 6. Today there was only this one and it's input shaft has play. I need this to get started so you do what you gotta do. I'll either fix it or use it for mock up and replace it. 

Stampie (FS)
2/1/21 10:54 a.m.

1928 Model A

I feel like I've pulled an Angry and took a vacation from the build. Last weekend I had to go to SC and get my new to me truck. Tried to make a deal on some 351w stuff from CL but the seller dragged his feet until it was too late. 

I had to get my cores retuned by today so Saturday was get everything ready day. I had a cracked case TH400, an old fan clutch, the flex plate that came with the 351w, and the free driveshaft I got with the 5.0 engine a few weeks ago. 

Some people either didn't like how I valued the TH400 or thought I was scraping good parts so I striped it down and gave away the guts.  Here's Patrick's tote of TH400.

NOT A TA's dipstick and tube.

And empty case TH400.

For future reference when you're told to use a 12 point socket for the center support bolt what they really mean is the center support bolt doesn't even look like a bolt. It looks like a round head but a 12 point socket works. 

Next I pressed the 1330 yoke out of the free driveshaft. That'll let me keep it for future use just in case the 1310 u joints won't work for my current shaft I'm building.

The Carter fuel pump ended up being DOA so I returned it for yard credit.  Here's the receipt for the core returns.  I didn't have anything to use for the "Auto flexplate". That was actually the pressure plate that she mischarged me for. The Cadillac engine was frozen so getting it's flex plate was to much a PITA. Might not use that pressure plate anyway. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/21 3:53 p.m.

That rx8 front subframe looks really nice. And if you wanted to get short motorcycle rear shocks or do a pushrod setup the packaging really improves too!

I didn't know they were so nice. Will keep in mind...

Stampie (FS)
2/1/21 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah the shock/spring arrangement on both front and rear kinda concerns me from an aesthetic view point.  I think I'm going to mock it all up and see what happens.  Ok so that's kinda my rule in life.  Do it and hey lets see if it sucks or not.  Might be a get it together then work on stuff like that for the next year.

Stampie (FS)
2/2/21 5:47 p.m.

1928 Model A

Ok let's update the budget.

Known:

Model A                      $750

Seat                              $40

Rear suspension       $151.46

15 inch wheels           $0

351W engine              $200

Front suspension     $130.97

Corvette Halfshaft   $20

E7TE heads                $0

Mustang Driveshaft$0

T5 Trans                     $49.99

Clutch                         $4.99

Flywheel                     $7.99

Pressure Plate           $6.99

TH400 Case               $3

Chevy Fan Clutch     $2

Nissan Driveshaft    $9.99

Total known          $1,377.38

Projected

Engine accessories               $30

Subframe brackets              $0 found on side of road weight bench

Wiring                                     $0 Free from Studebaker guy and 351w pickup

Roll cage tubing                  $160.99 max

SFI Flywheel                         $Budget exempt

SFI Balancer                         $Budget exempt

Autocross tires                    $Budget exempt

Total Projected                     $190.99

Recoup projected

Model A                                $750

351W engine                        $200

Total recoup                        $950

Project total                        $618.37

I may use a Datsun wiring harness I made a deal with Robbie on.  That's $10ish.  Then would be nice for a cam and intake figure $225ish.  Maybe some GT40 heads at $40.  

Stampie (FS)
2/12/21 2:46 p.m.

1928 Model A

It's been raining every time I get a chance to do something to the A.  I did order a mechanical fuel pump and a back up off Rock auto.  It was a close out and just too good of a deal to pass up.  Tomorrow is the Zepherhills swap meet so I'm going down there in hopes of finding 351w stuff.

Stampie (FS)
2/26/21 6:15 p.m.

Just a post so that I don't forget what I have for budget purposes. 

Ford 351w aftermarket HEI distributor $35

Two brand new Hoosier drag tires $150

SBF alternator, miscellaneous gaskets, and valve covers. $2.88

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/27/21 5:11 a.m.

am I the only one laughing that Stampie gave them the standard "a service representative will be with you sometime between 10-2" answer?

*and I totally get that the reason for doing so was to give you the chance to pull together a "crazy challenge road trip"

Stampie (FS)
2/27/21 10:57 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Well yeah.  

So today my project has been to get all my paperwork together for DMV stuff.  I know I looked up serial/motor numbers before and I thought I owned a 25 Model T, 26 Model T and 28 Model A.  Turns out I own two 25 Model Ts and a 29 Model A.  Hmmmm.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
2/27/21 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Sooooooo.  This entire time you've had Double T & A.

Nice.

Stampie (FS)
2/27/21 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

No ... I got the 25 Model T Speedster and 29 Model A from Mark.  Later I maybe whiskey induced bought a 25 Model T frame which still has a super secret squirrel mission.  So basically I was one T'ed and one A'ed at the beginning but now I'm more balanced.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fpp7pniLo5IEfXzop7KE5sD10CFCoysdTzy9F69vHz0V5F9fK8iG27dxv8vdv4qH