1 2 3
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/16 6:58 p.m.

Project X has existed for almost a year now for Team Stampie. We picked up the base car last February but she's been sitting while I think of ideas and ponder directions.

Goals of Project X are:

1400 lbs
150 HP
Cost less than $2018

One thing she really needs was a drivetrain. I researched and asked for input here. The Suzuki G13 and the mythical Saturn LLO/T5 were front runners until the other day.

Quasimofo mentioned the Ford Essex V6 as a light weight engine. That got me on Craigslist searching for cheap Ford manual transmission donors. I found a 97 Mustang that had been totaled for $400 but had a running drivetrain. I filed that away until Quasimofo mentioned the split ports starting in 99. I looked back on CL because I couldn't remember what year this Mustang was and was amazed to see a price drop.

Well at that price I can't go wrong so tonight we picked up our Mustang donor.

Project X is going to be a long slow process but at least she has her introduction.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
11/30/16 7:25 p.m.

To reach 1400 lbs i expect non-judicious use of sawzalls and grinders.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/30/16 8:52 p.m.

Is there a truly judicious use of sawzalls and grinders? Never seems to work that way for me.

On the edge of my seat Stampie! Looking forward to the reveal

Stampie
11/30/16 8:56 p.m.

Believe it or not I don't think there'll be much cutting on Project X. She came to me pretty apart. Just a ratchet strap holding the body onto the rolling chassis. Hope to get a weight on that maybe over Christmas break.

Stampie
12/3/16 11:13 a.m.

Today's goal was to get the Mustang running because Chris needed the trailer to move some couches.

Main issue was the radiator fan was pushed back into the water pump pully.

Before

We hooked it to a tree and pulled the bumper support out with a come a long. That POS bent so then we just strapped it the tree and used the truck to pull the core support out.

After

And here's the first start after we discovered the body grounds had been removed by the PO.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KQUw0tV_2Cs

Stampie
4/16/17 12:40 p.m.

Woohoo we have progress. On Friday Asa and I loaded up the Mustang on the trailer and sold her to the junkyard for a 140% profit. I just wasn't feeling the Mustang's V6. It didn't move my soul with the proper sounds. But since the Mustang was in the way of loading Project X on the trailer maybe we can get some baseline weights now.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/16/17 1:26 p.m.

Awsome. Ive been looking forward to the forums first lada challenge car. Especially one powered by a briggs.

Stampie
4/16/17 3:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I'm at a crossroads as to what I want to power it with. I think weighing the rolling chassis will help decide. Sadly I think some of the decision will be because of cool points at the Concours vs. what might actually make it a better all around car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/16/17 3:25 p.m.

I think I may be familiar with this X...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/16/17 3:26 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Awsome. Ive been looking forward to the forums first lada challenge car. Especially one powered by a briggs.

But how many carbs will it have?

Stampie
4/16/17 3:26 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

You might have seen it once on my trailer.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/16/17 3:30 p.m.

Is this a project for 2017, or 2018?

Stampie
4/16/17 4:00 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I know it's not 2017. I feel in love with the original engine donor and want to see how far I can take the Q45 first.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/16/17 4:03 p.m.

Good. Then I guess I'd better get my OWN secret project in high gear, to get it there by 2017 (before you!)

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/17 4:33 p.m.

I'm so excited!

So much of that chassis makes for good donor parts.

If the rear end will be used go grab a 3.73:1 locking differential from a 7.5" Ford Ranger.

Stampie
8/11/18 12:27 p.m.
Stampie said:

Project X is going to be a long slow process but at least she has her introduction.

A few weeks ago Chris and I were discussing future builds and he said let's build (super secret internal Team Stampie codeword) and with that Project X was on again.

Picked up these XXR 15x8s 0 offset up in SC.

Today we picked up our body.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
8/11/18 12:31 p.m.

surprise

yes

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/18 12:54 p.m.

That’s a badass trailer!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/18 12:55 p.m.

Fyi dibs if the bradley body doesnt work out

Stampie
8/11/18 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

It is a bad ass trailer.  I had to hold out on getting the Bradley because one of my trailers is full of 48 Studebaker and the other is full of engines.  I officially put you in line behind Lil Stampie cause he already called dibs.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/11/18 3:43 p.m.

One of my trailers is full of studebaker,  and the other is full of engines. 

I got nothing. 

Stampie
8/11/18 4:52 p.m.

We're home and making voom voom noises. 

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
8/11/18 5:58 p.m.

Lil'  Count Dracula,

Awesome pic , I looked back but didn't see a frame, what are your thoughts, throw a gm v6 fwd in back , I just brought home an 01 v6 to get the heads , my old number 3 cyl. has a leaking intake valve, may get away with re lapping held 50 pounds comp.

anyway if you want the short block/ just like dusterbd13 is using, and the heads, there yours if you can use them, an old T60 trans is perfect with that body.

Stampie
8/11/18 6:14 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

The frame is decided but going to remain a secret for a while. I have an engine in mind but we were throwing around another idea on the way back today. Our number one priority on this build is light weight. 

Stampie
9/22/18 11:21 a.m.

Got our driveline/pedal cluster/brake system/wiring/every berking piece I can use donor. 

Been sitting since 92 eh?  That shouldn't be a problem.  They are known to start right up after sitting for a while. Right?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SAljk1E5yw14tXzR1qVKSMMJF6yodZLhDAyEE7wVhW3A840CNgZehxN7jLbzvV8R