1 ... 13 14 15 16 17
stroker
stroker Dork
4/24/14 12:06 p.m.

What are you going to do with the holes in the rear quarter panels where the trim was attached?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/14 2:39 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

Eventually I'll weld them up. Right before it gets real paint.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/24/14 3:13 p.m.

I like seeing you use and improve this car instead of just storing it under a tarp because it's not "done" like so many other cars.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
4/24/14 3:24 p.m.

What you are doing is really cool & resourceful.

Javelin
4/24/14 9:19 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I like seeing you use and improve this car instead of just storing it under a tarp because it's not "done" like so many other cars.

Thank you! That's kind of the whole idea of this car and build. I'd rather drive it a lot and enjoy it than have it waste away in the garage because it's not perfect and I don't have the time/money for it.

Javelin
4/24/14 9:36 p.m.

Here's some completion pictures. I ended up with three coats of the silver as well. I am really, really happy with how well this turned out.

A new emblem from Gramp's chrome shop finished it out perfectly!

You'll notice the stripes have also magically disappeared. A pack of brand new razor's in the gasket scraper took care of that. Yes, there's a few scratches, but not nearly as many as you would think (using watered down Dawn in a spray bottle for lubrication helps), and it's less than the road scar scratches already there.

Yes, there are some tiger stripes on the roof, but they aren't all that noticeable. The paint job blends nicely with the original paint. It basically looks like slightly worn original paint, which is great for my purpose.

The Javelin gets tucked away in the garage.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/25/14 7:06 a.m.

Next time use plastic razor blades to prevent the scratching. Good work though, it's looking nice!

Javelin
4/25/14 8:46 a.m.
crankwalk wrote: Next time use plastic razor blades to prevent the scratching. Good work though, it's looking nice!

I tried those first, they weren't able to get the old stripe vinyl off, they just slid over the top.

Javelin
4/25/14 8:51 a.m.

Some whole car day shots:

The sides still need to be compounded to match the hood/roof/trunk.

It was now time for our big local show, the "Unique Tin", where they do a big show followed by a cruise through downtown open only to the show cars. The Javelin got a lot of looks and thumbs-up this year being 1 color. Here it is in front of our local brothel (featured on an upcoming episode of Hotel Hell).

With the side through compound #1:

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
4/25/14 9:13 a.m.

I like the black tail light panel. Thinking about doing that with my Mustang.

Javelin
4/25/14 2:34 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I like the black tail light panel. Thinking about doing that with my Mustang.

Thanks! I'd do it with Plastidip first so if you don't like it you can take it off. My E36 M3 needed paint either way.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
4/25/14 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Exactly what I was thinking. The panel could use painted because of some gas stains, but since it's the original paint, I don't want to do anything permanent.

Javelin
4/26/14 2:38 p.m.

Mini-Jav "driving" the Javelin!

Fall pics:

I bought a Harbor Freight garage for it for winter storage. In the summer it's our lawn & garden shed).

Javelin
4/28/14 8:55 a.m.

Ink follow-up! The Javelin's inaugural magazine blurb was in the "Reader's Projects" issue of PHR. Well, a year and a bit later it was chosen as the only AMC in the "Reader's Rides" issue. That makes four printings in three different magazines so far. (SWMBO still doesn't understand how anyone else can like it)

Fast-forward to Spring of this year year, and she's out of storage and back around town.

The paint needs another rub down after sitting all winter, but you can see the roof hides the tiger stripes pretty well from a few feet away.

At work:

Javelin
4/28/14 8:58 a.m.

And let's bring you to the present. First, it's time for a new pair of shoes.

Yeah, that ought to do it...

I give you the world's first Javelin on FR500's:

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/28/14 9:28 a.m.

Well done Jav. I normally really don't like big modern wheels on older cars, but they work better than most. Near MOAR LOW though to really carry it off. Any plans to hit it with the low stick?

Javelin
4/28/14 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

I had just bolted them on, the suspension needs to settle after a trip around the block.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/28/14 11:23 a.m.

Awesome. When's the next Friday night drag night for the Javelin?

Javelin
5/3/14 11:33 p.m.

Photoshoot with the suspension settled. I don't think the 14's will ever go back on, even with the slicks.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
5/4/14 12:38 a.m.

Hell.
Yes.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
5/4/14 4:29 a.m.

Sweet

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/4/14 7:16 a.m.

That looks fantastic! Very nice work! This thread is very inspirational to me and my project car.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
5/4/14 8:22 a.m.

I hate to be a stance-tard, but I vote hitting it a little bit harder with the lowering stick, even compared to the P-chop

Javelin
5/4/14 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

There's no Photoshop here. That's it's actual stance.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
5/4/14 9:06 a.m.

I think lowering it would be a crime against humanity.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uak0aueVfqahj0cIV3CeQTEHrnZdjn8UkYd35AsU9y2Jr2xjoGhUJpwiflkbuW0h