1 2 3 4 ... 17
pigeon
pigeon Dork
8/23/10 5:35 p.m.

Saw this baby today for sale but didn't have time to check the price as I was already late, but I had to slow down and grab a pic for this thread:

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
8/23/10 9:10 p.m.

This thread reminds me that I've thought it would be cool to have a Trans Am sub class for the Challenge- only pre- '74 cars can apply, and ONLY if that car has run in any Trans Am race.

IIRC the ones I can remember that have been at the challenge- BMW2002 Ford Cortina Mustang plymouth something Datsun 510

I had a GTV lined up to do it, but decided to buy a race car that I can just put on the track.... which has turned into a WAY TOO LONG A STORY.

Anyway- pretty cool to see these Trans Am cars. One of my favorite historic series of all time- both for over and under.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/10 9:53 p.m.

I was pretty sure the only AMC to run the Challenge was a 71-4 Javelin in the first one or two?

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
8/24/10 7:01 a.m.

Tell you what- if I ever come back to the challenge, I'll make a nice glass piece for the winner of the trans am challenge. My own sub class.

And if I ever get back into the studio, I'm supposed to make a piece for any OWNER that wins the challenge autocross. But this is a major digression from this cool build thread.

P71
8/24/10 8:43 a.m.

Hey, I'm still in Challenge budget! Paid $500 for the Javelin, I traded a 2.3T Ford motor for the 401 and bellhousing, the trans came from that same Ford (which was a $300 car which I made like $1300 back in parts), and the wheels are off of the P71 (no idea on those, but I only have $500 in the FR500's with tires so I need to swap those on!).

Granted it doesn't run yet. Or drive. Or even roll (locked up RR brake).

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
8/24/10 9:34 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: This thread reminds me that I've thought it would be cool to have a Trans Am sub class for the Challenge- only pre- '74 cars can apply, and ONLY if that car has run in any Trans Am race. IIRC the ones I can remember that have been at the challenge- BMW2002 Ford Cortina Mustang plymouth something Datsun 510 I had a GTV lined up to do it, but decided to buy a race car that I can just put on the track.... which has turned into a WAY TOO LONG A STORY. Anyway- pretty cool to see these Trans Am cars. One of my favorite historic series of all time- both for over and under.

If it is a Trans Am class shouldn't you be required to run a properly sized engine?

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
8/24/10 9:55 a.m.
Kia_racer wrote: If it is a Trans Am class shouldn't you be required to run a properly sized engine?

nah- just as long as it looks like a Trans Am car- I like the current rules.

I also know that a turbo 4 cyl can be competetive with a V8 swap, and if someone was REALLY smart, you can probably do an NA 4 cyl that would be quick enough in the drags that stomping everyone in the autocross would be the right thing to do.

( that last part was derived from 1) a certain turbo Alfa was FTD ((and I know current cars are quicker than that was- just bear with me)) but 2) it was slower than the owners normal Alfa which is also slower than a certain national Spider ((which is also slow vs other national DSP cars)). So IMHO, there's still a lot to be gained by doing a killer autocross car).

Anyway- just the body is important. And since I would be making the glass, I think I should be able to choose the method of awarding it...

Eric

P71- sorry about the digression. If there's enough interest, I would consider making some stuff for 2011, but too soon for 2010, as I'm not going to get enough studio time to make something cool.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/24/10 10:09 p.m.

I, also, am enamored with this build...

Thanks!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
8/24/10 10:32 p.m.

304 - 343 - 360 - 401 = same block and heads, si?

A stock-appearing Javelin would be a total time warp.

P71
8/24/10 11:04 p.m.

Jerry,

Yes, all AMC motors are the same physical block. Bore and stroke is all that changed. Even deck height stayed the same. That means you can swap cranks for all sorts of ridiculous combos. This Javelin has a 360 in it, and I have a 401 to go in it (eventually).

wheels777 and Platinum90, Thanks fellas! It's nice to know that people who have built (or are building - Supra) like what I'm going to do!

P71
8/24/10 11:09 p.m.

Javelin Update - 8/24/2010

I didn't work on the Jav itself today, but I did take a lunch break off to go to the DOL. Long story short, all of my paperwork is in order and the car is legally mine with notarization. All I have to do is present it to the Washington State Police for inspection and I can have a title and registration.

What that means is I have to get it running and driving under it's own power and able to pass a safety inspection. So after I get it cleaned up a little and running I need to fix the brakes and make sure it has decent tires on it. It will also probably need an exhaust. There's one broken lens and I'll have to check the light bulbs. I have direction!

As a bonus, the DOL lady used to own a Hornet so I was able to sweet-talk my way into transferring the Hornet's Collector Plate (pay registration once, never have to renew, no front plate!!!) to the Javelin (which is sweet because it ends in 073 and both the Hornet and Javelin are 73's).

So, not very exciting but vitally important to the project. (It's been abandoned longer than I've been alive and there was no title). I'll work on it soon, I promise!

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/25/10 10:02 a.m.
P71 said: wheels777 and Platinum90, Thanks fellas! It's nice to know that people who have built (or are building - Supra) like what I'm going to do!

Lets hope, with your new found employment, that your build takes considerably less time than mine! Remember that Mustang solo car/ lemons build. Yeah, that's been back burnered for a while...no progress there either...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/25/10 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Jensenman:

lol @ "1980-looking Javelin"

They needed better futurists in their ad dept.

P71
8/26/10 10:32 p.m.

Javelin Update #3 - 8/26/2010

I got to fiddle today, so of course I worked on the Javelin. I snooped around and took pics of everything. The good news is the original 360 is what's in the engine bay and it seems to be really clean and rust-free. The bad news is it's a front drum car (with power brakes?!?!??) and it has no tach (expected on all but the AMX's and 401 Javelins).

I also started cleaning the interior up a little bit. Not detailing it, just doing like I did the engine bay, clean enough to work on/in without a hazmat suit (this car has been sitting longer than I've been alive). Why do I need to sit in it? To make vrooming noises in the driver's seat, duh!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
8/26/10 10:50 p.m.
pigeon wrote: Saw this baby today for sale but didn't have time to check the price as I was already late, but I had to slow down and grab a pic for this thread:

oh, my, sweet goodness.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
8/26/10 10:54 p.m.
P71 wrote:

Is that gauge blank on the far right, or does it do anything?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/26/10 11:08 p.m.

Very nice score, the cool kid from my Aussie childhood had one of these and a Lotus Europa...yeah he was really cool

P71
8/26/10 11:38 p.m.

Blank. That's where the speedo would move to and the tach in the middle. Easy to fix

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/10 8:43 p.m.

Holy crap, an update!

Javelin Update #4 - 10/13/2010

Now that the wedding is over with I can work on cars again. Priority #2 (after Priority #A, which is fix the damn Miata) is getting the Javelin running. Took a couple of steps towards that goal today.

First, the rusty nut holding the air cleaner was freed and the 4Bbl saw the light of day for the first time in over a decade. As I suspected, the air cleaner housing was full of "fluff" (from mice nests I gather), and the air filter kept them from getting into the engine. I cleaned it all up with a shop vac and some degreaser.

I also got the first batch of new stuff for the Javelin. My grandfather has been racing AMC's since 1968 and ran one of the first aftermarket parts companies for them. He's still in business today so he sent me some "bullseye" emblems that he resin-coated as an experiment, and a priming tool.

This thing goes down the hole after you remove the distributor and gets spun by a drill at the other end to establish oil pressure and prime the motor. He machines these in his home shop.

Next step is to take out the spark plugs, fog the cylinders with oil, change the oil, turn the motor over by hand until TDC and remove the dizzy, prime it with the tool, replace dizzy and plugs, install battery, run fuel line from pump to gas can, and fog down the carb with some starting fluid before turning the key. Hopefully by the 24th...

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
10/13/10 9:22 p.m.

I always thought it would be funny to give an AMERICAN Motors Company product a theme involving some other country's flag. Maybe France, just for the irony.

Good luck getting it running.

stroker
stroker Reader
10/13/10 9:34 p.m.

I saw that Red/White/Blue one on the side of the road in the photo and my hand reflexively reached for my checkbook.

Somebody here has to save that car.

Javelin
10/13/10 10:48 p.m.

Where is it and how much? It's a 73 or 4 Javelin according the grill, and there's major price differences depending on year, motor, and options.

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
10/13/10 11:02 p.m.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-story-of-my-engine-by-ray-larson_topic12796&SID=cf1fcf9ae57z1c9zf932z1e9d8fc2b78.html

This is a link to the build of Ray Larson's '72. It is the MCSCC high-speed autocross series BP-Class track record holder. It is a beautiful car--spotless in and out.

He is one of the nicest guys I know, and will talk to you for as long as you want to listen, if you need any guidance.

...here is my car, circa 1987--sold it in 88...

Best wishes on you build!

Auto ADD
Auto ADD Dork
1/11/11 12:48 p.m.

Any progress? Bump because I want to see this car done.

Javelin
1/11/11 12:50 p.m.

Not really since the winter freeze came and the Javelin is outdoors.

Progress will be rampoing up though now that I have a DD once again and finances have stabilized.

1 2 3 4 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7NQ2Ws7qFxyItFzVLAB97aPeWifXgx9fGNhpcMiCSwNVgXX5dzazwcbuEY5XuOIk