1 ... 17 18 19
AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/7/21 7:42 p.m.

Well, the 2021 season is in the books and the car has the scars to prove it. I managed to get her out to a handful of events and even a few shows before 2020 part two kicked off.

The plan for the year was to get the interior buttoned up and dry. Many parts are still on back order and the floors still need to be patched.

The front wheel bearings are crying now and there's an unhealthy clunk from the centre of the car. I suspect the front torque arm mount, hence the new UMI piece. Also the engine is dog slow, runs like crap, and burns oil and coolant.

Kind of sucks to be $15k into a car that still needs everything.

I have all the parts to fix the suspension and bearings, still waiting on the T-top bar, door panels, and window guides. I'll order seats harnesses and carpet after the floors and seals are done.

As for the motor, I just don't know. I've been fighting with it since day one. replaced the fuel pump, carb and ignotion system and still can't seem to get it driving proper. There's still a lag, now there's a miss and it's still running richer than bezos. I'd love to just drop it off somewhere, hurl a wad of cash into someone's face and say bring it back when it's right but I know of no such person.

I'd love to go fuel injection but it is cost prohibitive right now. This whole car has been built on a student's budget without any credit cards. It may be crap but at least I own it.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/7/21 9:34 p.m.

Tbi swap option? I know there are a few diy write ups going around somewhere 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/7/21 9:40 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

The big hurdle right now besides gravel driveway and budget is the fuel tank. I would need an electric pump and associated wiring to run any FI system, and if you're not familiar with the 3rd gen, the tank is hiding above the rear axle, so you've got to pull the rear end to access it. It's an ordeal.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
10/7/21 11:43 p.m.

Dropping the tank is super arduous to an individual without a lift but no big deal to the right shop. Shops be like, "hell, that was only 2 hours" but people at home kill an entire weekend doing it.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/8/21 7:39 p.m.

Well berk.

SWMBO had the 'rolla today so I ran to the store in the Z. On the way home the right front brake caliper decided to lock up. The tow home was... expensive.

One more thing to add to the list.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
10/8/21 7:58 p.m.

Seems like the early ('82-'85ish) seals were a lot worse than the later ones. This goes for not just the brakes but the whole car. I was running around on the original unrebuilt calipers on my '87 until I did the LS1 front brake swap on the front in late 2018 and am still using the original seals on the rears. No issues.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/8/21 8:26 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

I replaced the calipers with new ones like 5 years ago, they've been great right up until today. I'm probably going to have to go through the whole system and replace everything.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
10/20/21 5:58 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

"...running richer than bezos..."

You, good sir, made my morning 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/19/21 2:39 p.m.

Today marks 5 years of ownership. It's been a ride.

She's still parked awaiting brake parts. Weather is crap and I only have a gravel driveway so it might be a minute before it gets done.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
11/19/21 3:36 p.m.

I know this doesn't fix your front brake problem but I have pretty much all the stuff needed to swap a 10bolt to the later PBR discs if you wanted it? (I also don't know what you have for rear brakes). I had wanted to sell it for a hundred but honestly, if the brakes get off my parts shelf and get some good use out of them a case of beer would persuade me.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
11/19/21 4:52 p.m.

I gotta say I like what you have done with that car and find your writing style highly entertaining.  I too know the pain of the gravel driveway, scrap plywood is your friend if you can find any.  Hopefully the weather is getting better and we should have a somewhat dry weekend and Thanksgiving week.   

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/19/21 5:28 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Like a radio with a broken volume knob, I can't turn that down.

1 ... 17 18 19
Our Preferred Partners
XjTxpEABiZhXL3H3xBItc2qhQ5uHoTI53ZX9QCuMExmbZqf6gQO7rFGPawRNAqU1