1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24
beanco
beanco Reader
8/22/19 8:00 a.m.

I have 2 of those swivel seat bases and I know where 3 more are locateddevil

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/22/19 8:06 a.m.

I need some swivel seat bases for my van.  Assuming I'm ever home again for long enough to work on it. 

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/22/19 6:08 p.m.
beanco said:

I have 2 of those swivel seat bases and I know where 3 more are locateddevil

How tall are the Ford swivel bases?  The ones I snagged from a conversion van are a couple inches shorter than the stock mounts.  I can live with that on the passenger side but on the drivers side it will make the angle to push in the clutch uncomfortable. 

logdog
8/22/19 6:09 p.m.
Ian F said:

I need some swivel seat bases for my van.  Assuming I'm ever home again for long enough to work on it. 

Your van is too cool to be yard art!

We need to start an Eastern PA van club.  We can cruise slowly through town and creep everyone out.

logdog
8/26/19 7:50 a.m.

Did a little more work this weekend.  

The radius arm bushings were a little on the worn side.  Unfortunately the radius arm itself had a good amount of rust on the shaft which made the part the bushing rides on thinner than it should be.  I cleaned it up and made a mental note to maybe pick up a set next time Im in California.  Its not a problem now but in 30 years when I take it to the local Hovercraft & Space Coffee show I might need them.  

Pretty blue bushing installed.  While I had it apart I cleaned and repalced the wheel bearings.  The brakes are about 50% so I will ride them until Spring.  Gotta spread out the nickle and dime-ing.

logdog
8/26/19 7:59 a.m.

I also got the sway bar brackets I bought on the previous page installed.  I have visions of painting them all pretty but I got lazy and figured that sweet patina will add tens of dollars to the value when this rolls across Barret Jackson.  

An interesting thing I learned about the frame mount bushing brackets.  When I pulled the sway bar off I grabbed the hardware but didn't really look at it or the holes in the donor frame.  I knew the holes were already in my frame but I wasn't sure if the captured nut were installed.  I figured best case scenario the nuts were there, worst case I would be fishing some in the frame horn.  What Ford did was pretty interesting.  The hardware are actually self tapping bolts.  They use the existing holes and cut the treads as you run it in.  No frame hardware needed! 

Im pretty excited to see how the sway bar helps.  I bet it will be the Miata of Econolines.

Also, when did Moog start making everything blue?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/19 8:42 a.m.

blue bushings may have been a corporate initiative after a new CEO was hired.  like when the new boss comes in and changes the company logo.  this is pure speculation on my part.   maybe they just repackage a part made by someone else, because they want that part in their catalog but it's not economically viable to actually produce it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/26/19 9:17 a.m.
logdog said:
Ian F said:

Your van is too cool to be yard art!

We need to start an Eastern PA van club.  We can cruise slowly through town and creep everyone out.

I think van clubs are out there.  When I was traveling through western MA yesterday on Rt 2, I passed three old-school (70's and 80's) Dodge van customs and an 80's Chevy with a 4x4 conversion.  One of them was straight out of the 70's - with fender flares, a wing and air-brush paintings on all sides. They must have been going to a show or some sort of gathering.

I remember blue Moog parts on their higher quality lines back when I was selling them in the late 80's and early 90's.

beanco
beanco Reader
8/27/19 9:14 a.m.

the sliders are 10" from ground in the front and angle towards the rear -1".

logdog
8/28/19 8:03 p.m.

In reply to beanco :

The aftermarket ones I picked up are only 7.5 inches tall.  The stock non-rotating ones are the same height as yours.  Im  sending you a PM.  

logdog
8/28/19 8:04 p.m.

Mmmmm.  Smelly.......

logdog
9/3/19 10:10 p.m.

Spent some time over the holiday weekend chipping away at the van.  Eventually we will get this completely back together.  

Reinstalled the heater box

Replaced the water pump

Installed the clutch

Reinstalled the transmission and crossmember.

Still need have a bit to reinstall and a few more parts to pick up but we are on track to being ready for the rally.

Spent a lot of time laying under this thing.

logdog
9/3/19 10:12 p.m.

In more happy news, I am buying 2 seat brackets from beanco so this thing is going to be even more shagadelic soon!

logdog
9/30/19 4:08 p.m.

The seat brackets arrived a few weeks ago.  They are patiently waiting on me to clean them up, paint, and install.  I hope to get it done before the rally.  They sit in the corner reminding me that I need to get my butt in gear. In the background you can see the front tire of the "Pit Bike of the Month" from the current issue.  Its kinda like having a celebrity in the garage. :)

I had some things come up and some out of state travel so it wasnt until last Saturday I was able to get it completely back together.  We took it out on a prolonged test drive as seen here as we creepily sit on a side street in Carbondale PA waiting on a pizza.

Unfortunately on our test drive we discovered a problem.  The new Felpro rear main is leaking.  Bad.  Like fill the oil and top off the gas bad.  I was pretty annoyed. The seal appears to have no damage and its installed straight.  I wasnt real keen on how it looked.  It wasnt a metal case like the OEM and national brand ones.  It was some rubber coated thing.   Anyway, on Sunday morning we dropped the trans (which went quick since she hit the top while I hit the underside) and I ordered a National seal.  We are back to this sad

Garage time in October (or as I like to live my life "Rocktober") will be at a premium but I shouldn't have too much trouble getting it all back together.  I may have to skip some of the interior stuff I wanted to do before the rally.

logdog
10/3/19 9:12 p.m.

An interesting thing about the Felpro seal vs the National.  The Felpro doesnt have a spring.  The National looks more "conventional ".  So fingers crossed that it works.

logdog
10/3/19 9:18 p.m.

Tonight I also learned that a 29/64 drill bit is larger than a 25/64.  Thanks to my old man eyes I misread the drill bit size on the helicoil tap.  The lower starter bolt was chewed up so I figured now was as good a time as any to repair it.  The upper starter hole had been helicoiled at some point in the past.

Well, since I screwed the pooch with the drill, I went up to 1/2 inch so I could install a spacer sleeve with a 3/8 bore.  I kinda got lucky in finding something that would work perfect in a box of misc hardware.  I slapped a bit of loctite on it and tapped it into place.   Im not sure if I am going to try and thread it, or just use a longer bolt with a nut.

Georges1991
Georges1991 New Reader
10/4/19 3:03 a.m.

Just gotta say, I'm not a "van guy" but boy do I want this van. Bad.

Nice work!

brownelz54
brownelz54
10/4/19 5:51 a.m.

Hey,

Did you make this car from scrap car?

I want to set furniture in my luxury bus. where do I find old bus and wood for furniture?

CNC routertable, and all stuff available.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/4/19 9:28 a.m.

canoe ?

logdog
10/4/19 12:47 p.m.
brownelz54 said:

Did you make this car from scrap car?

I know its a canoe, but if I had a dime for every time somebody asked me this about one of my heaps!  laugh

logdog
10/4/19 12:50 p.m.
Georges1991 said:

Nice work!

You are a Dodge guy right?  You need a Possum Van!

logdog
10/14/19 5:20 a.m.

We got the van all back together this weekend and so far so good.  No more hemorrhaging of oil.  

Of course we hit a traffic jam on the test drive.

logdog
10/14/19 5:27 a.m.

Booty shot!

logdog
10/15/19 7:57 p.m.

Not too long before we bought the van the school district rebuilt the kingpins.  Unfortunately whoever did them was a bit of a butcher and stripped out the lower screw cap on the left side.  It was half falling out when we went to grease them.   We picked up a new cap and after carefully cleaning up the threads we were able to tighten it down and grease the pin.  Fast forward 12 months - last weekend while greasing the front end the pressure popped the cover loose a little since the threads are still a bit boogered up.  Necessity being the mother of invention and all, we stuck on another new cap, installed a 90 degree nipple (ha!) and used a sensor socket and bottle jack to apply enough pressure to offset the grease.  Worked like a charm!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
10/15/19 10:31 p.m.
Georges1991 said:

That’s because everyone deep down is a “van guy” They just might not know it yet.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
74v26WdsRejEPimyZs3N2SNmw7BYVjUKgK7KIJvmFbyPhu6Bc5wejRABZT74pJnJ