Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/4/21 9:05 p.m.

Why do you have an armadildo?

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/4/21 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Thats Hank the Vanadillo.  We got him as a mascot before the World Tour of Texas rally.  He recently had surgery because he fell off the dashboard and I had to glue his ear back on.

Mr_Asa
8/4/21 9:49 p.m.

Ahh.  I wasn't sure if Hank was real or not.  I've known people that have had weirder pets.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/22/21 8:42 p.m.

Did you see the 300 turbo build yet? Over 500hp and nearly 600lbft of torque.

This would be a cooler option than a swap IMHO

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/24/21 6:46 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Haven't had time to watch the video yet.  I will admit I have stared under there wondering if a turbo would fit.  I think one of the biggest obstacles to any mods will be clearance with the doghouse.  I would like to find someone with an aftermarket intake and carb so I can get some measurements for reference.  

Mr_Asa
8/24/21 9:49 a.m.

Based on this photo and the way they mount the turbo in the video, I think you've got room.  Intake may be interesting, though.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
11/24/21 2:21 p.m.

Now I need to get one in the Power Wheel size!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
11/24/21 3:50 p.m.

Sweet!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
12/28/21 9:32 p.m.

Its all pretty boring stuff I didn't document well in pics, but over the last week I built an exhaust with one of those universal kits of prebent pieces and a Walker universal commercial truck muffler. Really helps the straight 6 sound like a delivery truck.

I replaced the shift rod bushings at the transmission.  I still need to replace the bushings at the column.  I replaced those before but they are plastic and the aftermarket ones seem to wear quick.   I also made a bushing for the clutch pivot out of some hardware store brass bushings.

I replaced a worn clutch linkage rod with some heim joints.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
12/28/21 9:38 p.m.

I added a tach as well.  Its mounted to a modified exhaust clamp that I cut and welded a bit to clear the ignition rod and shift collar.  I want to replace the nuts with cap/acorn nuts.  I went to 2 hardware stores tonight and neither had any 3/8 ones so I guess it will have to be an internet purchase.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/29/21 9:03 a.m.

I've always used a hose clamp to attach a tach to a column but I really like the exhaust clamp idea. I might have to try and borrow your technique... unless of course there is a patent preventing me from doing so laugh

Mr_Asa
12/29/21 9:45 a.m.

Keep an eye on the heim joints.  I tried to do them with something once and I didn't realize how well they pivot around.  The old part was like that rod, only freedom of movement was around the mounting points, so it could pivot there but nothing else, that made it good for side-to-side movement as well as front to back.  Tried the heim joints and they'd pivot when I tried side-to-side so I had to scrap the idea.

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
12/29/21 10:08 a.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

I replaced a worn clutch linkage rod with some heim joints.

That photo brings back memories.   

We bought a brand '81 E150 with a 300/4 speed, and the clutch was so stiff it went through the entire clutch linkage by 10,000 miles.    We replaced all the linkage with Heim joints, and never had a problem again in the next 180,000 miles.    The original clutch itself did last for 140K, which was pretty good considering that van spent most of its life overloaded and/or towing in the city.

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
12/29/21 3:19 p.m.

This is a great thread.  It motivates me to get my family out with the Astro and travel this year. That is all very good.  You're also making me wish for a manual transmission, which is not good.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
12/29/21 8:28 p.m.
Gunchsta said:

I've always used a hose clamp to attach a tach to a column but I really like the exhaust clamp idea. I might have to try and borrow your technique... unless of course there is a patent preventing me from doing so laugh

Ive used hose clamps before.  This tach had a flat bracket and since its a 3 on the tree shifter the muffler clamp worked great to give everything clearance.  I welded a 5/8 nut to the clamp and ground out the bottom for ignition rod clearance.  I welded a 1/4 nut inside the 5/8 one to bolt the tach bracket down. Paint and felt tape finished it up.

A couple more pics

I found some brass acorn nuts today. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
12/29/21 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

For sure!  I watch all the shifter and clutch linkage closely since its such a Rube Goldberg contraption.  I basically copied the kit I put on the CJ5

logdog (Forum Supporter)
12/29/21 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Some of the stuff for trucks is available aftermarket but the van stuff seems to be different enough it requires more creativity.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
12/29/21 8:36 p.m.
GasTungstenArc said:

This is a great thread.  It motivates me to get my family out with the Astro and travel this year. That is all very good.  You're also making me wish for a manual transmission, which is not good.  

Swap it!

Ive seen a single factory manual trans Astro in person.   A guy I was in tech school with had it.  A 2.5 iron duke with a 4 speed.  

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/30/21 8:29 a.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks! Those are great pics. I'm going to utilize your idea for sure, I got a tach for my Mercury this christmas and it's deserving of more than a hose clamp. I appreciate it. 

Keep up the good work, this is a terrific thread. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
12/30/21 8:30 a.m.

Ive seen a single factory manual trans Astro in person.   A guy I was in tech school with had it.  A 2.5 iron duke with a 4 speed.  

Wow that sounds freakish. Must've been an early one? I've never seen anything other than a 4.3 auto in an Astro. That rules! 

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
12/30/21 8:55 a.m.
Gunchsta said:

Wow that sounds freakish. Must've been an early one? I've never seen anything other than a 4.3 auto in an Astro. That rules! 

I believe that the manual transmission option existed up to 1989, but that could be off.  Yes, at this point, the survivors are overwhelmingly 4.3 auto, which is what my 1987 is.  

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
12/30/21 9:55 a.m.
GasTungstenArc said:

Swap it!

As much as I would enjoy the result, I have immovable obstacles preventing that.  

1) Although I am planning to V8 swap it (L31,) I really don't have the time to lay out a manual swap in addition to the V8 swap. (Baby in house, old house with needs)

2) My wife will need to be able to move freely from the front passenger seat to the middle row seat in order to take care of the baby.  That freedom was one of my selling points for a van against an SUV.  A stick on the floor would complicate that movement and present a tripping hazard as well as a road safety concern.  

3) My wife currently does not drive, and when she eventually does, a manual transmission would be another leap for her.  She comes from a place where very few people drive, so just driving by itself will be a leap.  Although I will be the primary driver, I want her to be able to drive with confidence.  

4) I might want or need to have something between the front seats, and six-on-the-tree is not an option.  

So auto will have to do.  :(

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
12/30/21 4:40 p.m.

What's the redline on that bad boy? laugh

logdog (Forum Supporter)
12/30/21 7:28 p.m.
Gunchsta said:

I seem to remember it was a mid 80s cargo van.  This was around 95 and most of us had early to mid 80s cars.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
12/30/21 7:29 p.m.
11GTCS said:

What's the redline on that bad boy? laugh

Im going to guess around 4k rpm!laugh

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V9p3efQJr5l5ITlo0jzk6cas7JS2ZL5f1inCGc1qZfMpXsx0FIukd4zuXhuTeAqd