1 2 3 ... 6
AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto
8/30/17 9:57 a.m.

I thought some of you would like this. It started life as a white 89 automatic with 80 thousand or so miles.

I picked this car up last year. Was sitting in someone's yard rotting away, no roof, no seats, in the rain, for several years. He said it didn't run, wasn't getting fuel. Several parts were missing. I tossed him a lowball offer and he took it.

Trailered it home, found that the firewall connector for the wiring harness had completely corroded. I sprayed and wire brushed it, and it fired up long enough for me to get video.

Knowing I wouldn't be hanging onto the L98, I brewed a master plan. Since I typically LS swap anything under the sun, why should this be any different?

I parted out the car and actually ended up making a few hundred bucks. I took this money, and bought a 2000 GMC Sierra with a 4.8 and a bad trans. I pulled the engine and trans, sold the trans and the truck, and had $200 total now in a complete drop-out engine and rolling Corvette. Once I sold the wiring/PCM from the 4.8, along with the AC components, I was sitting on free.

So, bodyless Corvette, 4.8. How can we draw some attention? Four shiny turbos, eventually lower the car and widen the track several inches, and then work on a cage.

Oh, and the car starts with a fingerprint scanner.

The engine is completely stock. I took it out of the truck, took off the exhaust manifolds, swapped oil pans, and dropped it in the car. I haven't even taken the valve covers off. So the novelty is kind of wearing off with the dry rotted tires and ~350-400 HP. It does an insane burnout, but I want more. I picked up some C6 Z06 wheels and tires and I'm going to space them out 2 inches all around. I'm pulling the stock engine, putting in a monster of a cam, adding water injection, and cranking up the boost from 8 Lbs to 16-18 lbs.

As it sits, I only have $3500 in the entire car. Cam, water/meth, and boost will put me at $4000. I'm hoping that by the time I fab up my own cage, add 5-point harnesses, a second fuel pump, and get a real torque converter, I'm still only in it $5000.

Until then, here is a small compilation of what I've done in the last few months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XJy6Onn43k

HonestSpeedShop
HonestSpeedShop GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/30/17 10:09 a.m.

i need this in my life! that is so freaking cool!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/30/17 10:31 a.m.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/17 11:04 a.m.

In reply to AwesomeAuto:

Forget spacing out the wheels - you need to figure a way to mount 315 duallies on the back!

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
8/30/17 11:42 a.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: In reply to AwesomeAuto: Forget spacing out the wheels - you need to figure a way to mount 315 duallies on the back!

It is already a bit wide now, and I can't load it on a trailer that has railings on the side. The new wheels I have are 19x12 with 325 tires on them and I have to run a 2" spacer to keep the tire from rubbing the frame. I do drive the car a lot. With dually wheels it just wouldn't be practical at all.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/30/17 11:57 a.m.

When you say "drive it a lot", do you mean take it to Home Depot to pick up plumbing fittings? Because I hope that's what you mean.
This is bonkers is the best possible way, and we need way way more pictures.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
8/30/17 12:19 p.m.

I drive it to the local car shows/meets. I've driven it to work, relatives houses, a friends local shop. If its not buried in the garage I hop in and go for joy rides often. Anytime we have people over for dinner, I take them for a joy ride and lots of donuts and burnouts.

I'm putting the engine on my buddies dyno in a month or so, and I'll upload the videos to YouTube afterwards. I'm hoping to make ~800 HP on the engine dyno with the little 4.8 on pump gas without stressing it too much. I could probably push it further, but the car barely weighs 2000 lbs and its already terrifying to drive.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
8/30/17 12:30 p.m.

I'll post some pics. A lot of what is there is temporary. The car is getting caged this fall and I'll be cutting off the Halo, a lot of the leftover fiberglass, removing the temporary bumpers and headlights.

I've even considered swapping out the intake manifold and intercooler, but for now I'll run them because it keeps the car cheap.

Oh, and the sidepipes are badass, until you forget they are there when getting out of the car.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
8/30/17 12:51 p.m.

I think I'm in love

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
8/30/17 1:09 p.m.

Cmon man you got to give us more details. What turbos? What did you do for exhaust manifold?

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
8/30/17 1:28 p.m.

Turbos are just generic Chinese ones from Ebay. Almost all of the 50mm ebay turbos are the same, with the differences being mainly in the turbine housing.

Manifolds were made from 10 gauge 1.75" mandrel bent tubing and divided T3 flanges.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
8/30/17 1:30 p.m.

Horee Chit!!!!

I want to drive it...

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/30/17 1:49 p.m.

Assuming there aren't that many fingerprint scanner key'd C4 corvette death karts. I'm assuming this one the one I saw on the Sloppy Public page. Good to have you here.

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/30/17 2:07 p.m.

Very very cool!

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
8/30/17 2:09 p.m.

How do you deal with the positive camber that the c4 likes to have in the rear once you take all the weight out?

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
8/30/17 2:10 p.m.
simon_C wrote: How do you deal with the positive camber that the c4 likes to have in the rear once you take all the weight out?

Surprisingly, I haven't had that issue yet with this. The back is light enough I can pick it up off of the ground myself by the back bumper.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/30/17 4:18 p.m.
AwesomeAuto wrote:
simon_C wrote: How do you deal with the positive camber that the c4 likes to have in the rear once you take all the weight out?
Surprisingly, I haven't had that issue yet with this. The back is light enough I can pick it up off of the ground myself by the back bumper.

On ours we put longer sprring bolts (about 10.5 inch)and cranked max camber on control arms. We got 1.2 degrees negative.

When using longer bolts maintain some preload on spring.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
8/30/17 4:20 p.m.

This thread is freaking amazing and I hope it gets updated forever.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
8/30/17 6:00 p.m.

I like this guy.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
8/30/17 6:02 p.m.

I'll try to keep it updated. I'm pretty excited to get the new cam in and crank up the boost. I've tried turning it up as-is but it just makes the valves float sooner.

I'll get the cam in and get it tuned and driving, then the engine is getting pulled and put on the engine dyno. It only takes me an hour or so to pull the engine.

I am hoping that a quad turbo engine on the dyno making 800 or so HP draws in some YouTube views. I'd really like to get a YouTube channel going since I'm working on some pretty crazy stuff right now.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
8/30/17 6:14 p.m.
AwesomeAuto wrote: I'll try to keep it updated. I'm pretty excited to get the new cam in and crank up the boost. I've tried turning it up as-is but it just makes the valves float sooner. I'll get the cam in and get it tuned and driving, then the engine is getting pulled and put on the engine dyno. It only takes me an hour or so to pull the engine. I am hoping that a quad turbo engine on the dyno making 800 or so HP draws in some YouTube views. I'd really like to get a YouTube channel going since I'm working on some pretty crazy stuff right now.

I'd definitely subscribe to a channel with such content...

Do you already have it up on YT at all?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/17 6:36 p.m.

I assume you are familiar with Leroy the Savage the c6 vette cart?

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
8/30/17 6:37 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XJy6Onn43k

Some of the projects I have and videos I've recorded are every bit as ridiculous as this one. I just haven't had time to make decent videos yet.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
8/30/17 6:38 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: I assume you are familiar with Leroy the Savage the c6 vette cart?

Yes, but I don't give him credit for it. He bought his vette after I did, he bought it already in kart form, and hasn't done any of the work to it himself, yet he gets all of the credit. I loathe people like that.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/30/17 6:43 p.m.

I see an Ohio Temp tag. Will I see you at my local Home Depot?

I sure hope so. Awesome!

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RW8rnDO3Fp9ptHkEUmFqWxbG6i5KSebl4l1nYmFwx7g5DsD2OXx5SsOHhxMcFhLO