1 ... 6 7 8 9
Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/19/23 12:09 p.m.

Yee Yee!

Scotty Con Queso
5/1/23 1:06 p.m.

Coilovers have arrived. More on that later. 

The next thing I bought was a hot air intake. To get the truck running I used a junkyard Silverado stock intake tube without a filter.

Looked haggard so I bought a $55 eBay intake also made for a Silverado.  It did require "slight" modification. Like hak sawing off 5-inches of intake tube.

After modifying, it looks good in the engine bay.

Scotty Con Queso
5/1/23 1:09 p.m.

Still at a crossroads with this truck. It starts right up and idles well. It rev hangs like no other and tries to die at a stop. It makes me not want to drive the damn thing. RacetruckRon got me going with an off the shelf tune, but the truck needs some tweaking. I'm on the fence. Do I pay someone to tune it or buy a Terminator X and get it running on self tune and tune it here and there myself. I'm leaning towards Terminator X. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/23 1:23 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Still at a crossroads with this truck. It starts right up and idles well. It rev hangs like no other and tries to die at a stop. It makes me not want to drive the damn thing. RacetruckRon got me going with an off the shelf tune, but the truck needs some tweaking. I'm on the fence. Do I pay someone to tune it or buy a Terminator X and get it running on self tune and tune it here and there myself. I'm leaning towards Terminator X. 

When I did the LS swap in my trans am on the first drive I had a hell of a rev hang and died coming to stop lights. I found one of the vacuum hoses on the TB to be missing. How are the pcv/vacuum hoses routed on yours?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/23 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

The terminator X self tune is going to be even further away from where you want to be.  The "self tuning" is just closed loop fueling, you are still on your own for timing and idle tuning.  The Terminator X only makes sense if you wanna get big dumb and put a turbo on the truck.

I'd pay someone to smooth out the current tune or buy a OBDlink cable and start messing with TunerStudio.

Scotty Con Queso
5/2/23 12:50 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Long term goal is turbo for sure, that's why I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet now and pony up the cash for a Terminator X and actually learn how to tune the thing myself.

Last night I put up a post on the STFU.net.co (local automotive degenerate FB page) asking for LS swap tuners.  A guy from a reputable shop spoke up and has offered his turning services for $600.  That includes a dyno session and drivability tuning.  I think that's pretty reasonable and will get the truck running how it should.  I think I'm going to go that route but I'm still undecided.

Thanks again for all your help with this thing. 

Scotty Con Queso
5/8/23 7:54 a.m.

Coilovers assembled. Man I hate dealing with antiseeze.

I want to install these badly but right now my schedule is haul ass home from work for softball, softball, baseball, softball, and then softball. And then the weekends are Saturday games x3 all day and then Sunday is "remember that thing we have that takes all day?"  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/23 9:02 a.m.
iansane said:
Scotty Con Queso said:

When I did the LS swap in my trans am on the first drive I had a hell of a rev hang and died coming to stop lights. I found one of the vacuum hoses on the TB to be missing. How are the pcv/vacuum hoses routed on yours?

That was my thought as well.  Decent sized vacuum leak.

Scotty Con Queso
5/8/23 9:39 a.m.

RE: Vacuum leak.  I've done numerous tests looking for vacuum leaks with starter fluid.  Can't find anything.  Talking with the tuner, he seems to think there's something going on with the VSS causing the IAC to close up.  Not sure since I'm just not familiar with tuning. 

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
5/8/23 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

$600 for a dyno/tune to get it running right, then you decide you want more power so you install a cam, now you need to dyno/tune again. Then, you go turbo, so you dyno/tune again...you get where I'm going with this. 

Going terminator was the best choice I ever made, forget dealing with archaic HPTuners with all the hidden/confusing tables. Yes, you still need to perform your own timing and idle tuning, but it's so much easier to make changes on your own as the software is inherently easier to use and the resources for tuning (other enthusiasts, Sloppy Mechanics tune cabinet, etc) is huge. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/19/23 8:11 a.m.

Took a gamble to save $300 and bought an open box Terminator X. Should be here next week. I really need to start installing parts and stop buying them. 

Scotty Con Queso
5/24/23 12:52 p.m.

Terminator X came in yesterday evening and my gamble on an open-box item seems to have paid off.  Everything is there and in good shape.  I also bought a new Windows based laptop to replace our very old Chromebook so I could get going on tuning. 

I think I'm going to get the truck running again with the Terminator X and get it tagged as a Classic before I start in on the coilovers and Cal tracs install.  I seriously have zero time to do anything lately.  Maybe by July I'll get the Terminator X installed.   

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
5/24/23 3:21 p.m.

Terminator X is an easy install. Mostly just powers and grounds, and plugging in sensors. Be sure to follow the instructions in terms of powering the unit directly off the battery. The most satisfying part is building the tune in 5 minutes on the wizard and then lighting it off right after. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/24/23 4:44 p.m.

The biggest thing you need to get running that's not included with the TermX is an IAT sensor. Sloppy tune cabinet is helpful, I have a pretty clean spark map from my manual, cammed 5.3 combo in the Ram50.  Let me know if you need any help, don't go driving around on that auto generated spark map.

Scotty Con Queso
6/18/23 9:36 p.m.

Been a month since I messed with the truck but actually had some time today. Was able to get the old harness and computer out to start installation of the Terminator X.

Scotty Con Queso
8/2/23 10:28 p.m.

Still planning fuel system and trying to find time to install parts.

Squirrel! Home Depot had this 62" tool chest in sale for $698 and I couldn't say no. Everything in the background (minus the welding cart) is going into this behemoth. 

Scotty Con Queso
8/15/23 10:38 a.m.

Terminator X is installed and ready to fire. But before that, I am going to convert the truck to a return style system using a rising rate fpr and a cheap walbro copy. That should happen this weekend and then I can start building my base tune. 

No pics of the install but I did like the way the truck looked on Saturday while I was having lunch. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/15/23 10:44 a.m.

Why the fuel system changes? 1 I'm asking so I can learn.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
8/15/23 3:45 p.m.

Dig the wheel choice

Scotty Con Queso
8/16/23 8:57 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Here's how I understand it, which could be wrong.  I'm really good at being wrong.

A returnless system is constant pressure system.  Fine for NA or a more set it and forget it.  A return system allows for rising rate fuel pressure which is tunable and adjustable with boosted applications.  

Scotty Con Queso
8/16/23 8:58 a.m.
buzzboy said:

Dig the wheel choice

Thanks.  They are stock hubcaps, which have grown on me.  I have a set of 17's from a Tahoe that may go on here, but for now I'll keep these.

I think the truck will have a very "Cousin Eddie" vibe when it's lowered on these wheels. 

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
8/16/23 10:44 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:
buzzboy said:

Dig the wheel choice

Thanks.  They are stock hubcaps, which have grown on me.  I have a set of 17's from a Tahoe that may go on here, but for now I'll keep these.

I think the truck will have a very "Cousin Eddie" vibe when it's lowered on these wheels. 

Banded stock wheels with hubcaps would be awesome and accommodate some meaty tires.  Love the build, as a fellow coleradoe owner/driver, this gives me horrbile thoughts, lol!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/17/23 9:06 a.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Here's how I understand it, which could be wrong.  I'm really good at being wrong.

A returnless system is constant pressure system.  Fine for NA or a more set it and forget it.  A return system allows for rising rate fuel pressure which is tunable and adjustable with boosted applications.  

Aw yeah, subscribed for sloppy turbo LS build :) 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/17/23 9:34 a.m.

Hadn't thought about boost. Makes sense now!!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/23 5:37 p.m.

Another upside to a return system you, can put a flex fuel sensor on the return line without limiting flow to the injectors or spending big dollars on a fancy adapter.

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n9GEdKccw3tuD46roCmSLk26usSIahKDgnWfMM4PSPE43ShExkhVsYw88id92N47