1 2 3 ... 8
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/9/22 5:04 p.m.

Well I decided I wanted something bigger than the Golf R.  That car is a hoot, but my son and I completely fill it when we go skiing and my dog and my son don't really fit all that well in the back seat either.  I also have a 996 turbo, VW Corrado and a KTM 690 Enduro to use when I want to drive something fun, so a larger SUV fits my fleet better than another small, hot hatch.

I'm very space constricted in my garage, I can't go over 78.5" to fit under my lift and I really can't have anything more than 196" or so, otherwise it won't fit.  So that knocks out all the pick up trucks like a Gladiator, or a larger SUV like a Tahoe or Suburban.  I already owned a GX470 so don't want a GX460, the new Lexus nose treatments are hideous, plus their Nav interface is horrible.  At that point I kinda latched onto the Land Cruiser, they're built to a different standard, plus I love the split tail gate they have.  So convenient for skiing, mtn biking etc. 

I shuddered at their entry price though, with what's happening in the market, plus the fact Toyota isn't selling them here anymore and their insane ability to hold their value, they're really expensive.  I found a 2014 at a local broker that was low mileage and in nice shape but I really wanted a 2016+.  Those come with the larger brakes from a Tundra, the 8 speed transmission, more modern interior and stereo plus LED headlights and tail lights. 

I found one on eBay that was low mileage (20k) with some nice parts on it, plus had the brown leather interior I really wanted.  It didn't sell on eBay, so I reached out to the seller and we worked out a deal.  I ended up running the deal through the same broker that had the 2014, that way I could trade the R in to them and get the tax savings.  They're also handling all the paperwork, transport for it (It's in San Diego) etc.

I signed the paperwork for it this past Monday, we're waiting for the seller to get his paperwork back to the broker so they can cut a check to send to my Dad, who will take delivery of the truck for me, then get the trailer to pick it up from my Dad's house and bring it to me.  Hopefully no later than the 21st, as I have a friend and his two sons coming to town to ski with me and my son and I could really use the space the truck has to haul everyone and their gear.

The truck is coming with two sets of wheels/tires, ARB skid plates and recovery points and the Safari snorkel, which I'm not that enthused about.  I'm stuck with it though as you have to drill a huge hole plus other holes in the fender and A pillar to mount it and I'm not spending the cash on body work/paint to remove it.

I've ordered a phone mount, as well as found a set of used TRD "Rock Warrior" wheels to put on it.  I don't really like the 18" wheels it has on it, I'll sell them and go to these TRD 17's instead.

Someone pointed out in my other thread that you have to use the special McGard lug nuts with these, luckily the seller had them and is sending them to me.  My plan is to run 285/70/17 Falken AT3W tires, they're supposed to be great in the snow and quiet on the road.

I also plan on adding a Beat Sonic Apple Car Play unit, which integrates with the stock stereo, plus the Bilstein 6112/5160 suspension setup.  I'm also going to remove the 3rd row seats, I'll never use them and would rather have the additional storage capacity.  I've found a guy in Australia that makes really nice covers for the holes left in the fender trim and I'll get the 5 passenger cargo mat from the 2020/1 Heritage Edition to cover the holes in the floor.

Here's some pics I stole from the sellers eBay auction.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/22 6:39 p.m.

Nice ride! I had AT3Ws on my Land Cruiser and they were fantastic. I put falken rubitreks on the suburban that replaced it, thy seem to be nearly identical.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/10/22 8:44 a.m.

In reply to bgkast :

Glad to hear that!  I had BFG K02's on my GX470 and was tempted to use them again but these AT3W's are supposed to balance out better, be much better in the snow/wet and be more quiet on the road.

My Dad should be getting the check today/tomorrow.  The seller will hopefully drop it off with him Sunday, if not then Monday morning.  At that point the transport will go get it, which hopefully will happen quickly and they bring it here quickly without a lot of stops.  I'd really like to have it not this weekend but the following...

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
2/10/22 8:49 a.m.

will be following....

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
2/10/22 4:04 p.m.

God damn that snorkel is huge. The vehicle itself looks really nice, though. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
2/10/22 10:58 p.m.

I don't see starbucks waste in any of those pictures. Step up your 200 game.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/11/22 9:46 a.m.

In reply to cruisermatt :

LOL, that's the joke that's always made for BMW Adventure motorcycle riders.  I have a KTM, so clearly I never ride to Starbucks for a coffee and a cookie.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/22 9:52 a.m.

Nice rig, doc. I'm sure you'll have fun with it! 

JeremyJ said:

God damn that snorkel is huge. The vehicle itself looks really nice, though. 

I didn't really think about it at first because the truck is already big so it just looked slightly large but now that you point it out I realize that if it looks large on an already huge vehicle... damn!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/11/22 6:17 p.m.

Yeah, it looks huge in pictures.  I'm curious to see it in person, as I've said, I'm not thrilled to have it.  It's not like I need it functionally, it's just an appearance mod and I don't really dig on the appearance of it.  It's just too hard to go back to stock though, with the holes in the fender and the A pillar.

So truck should be dropped off at my Dad's house tomorrow, broker has already booked the transport, it could get picked up as early as Monday.  Really hope it does, then I'll definitely have it next week!

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/12/22 8:46 a.m.

I have the AT3s on my previous Sequoia and they were excellent. I got KO2's on my new Sequoia and to be honest I wish I had gotten the AT3's again, since they felt pretty much the same but were much quieter on the road then the KO2s. 

It's a good choice.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/12/22 8:48 a.m.
cruisermatt said:

I don't see starbucks waste in any of those pictures. Step up your 200 game.

I'm pretty sure half the population of 200s in the USA are located here in the DC region. Most of them have a snorkel and a high-end safari rack, But none of them ever has a spec of dirt on them lol....

acheron64
acheron64 New Reader
2/12/22 5:29 p.m.

If its an armax snorkel at least it flows more than the standard air box :)

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
2/12/22 11:35 p.m.

Safari snorkels have started making larger bodied units and offer a couple different sizes for some vehicles. New engines make a lot more power than older vehicles so I gather they started seeing engines struggling for enough airflow with the slimmer versions. You may be able to replace with a smaller version.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/13/22 9:05 a.m.

In reply to edwardh80 :

I'll have to look into that, although I don't really feel like spending more money on another snorkel.  After I get the TRD wheels on, the next thing I'd like to get is the Beat Sonic Apple Car Play module.  Then when the factory suspension gets some more miles on it I'll replace it with the Bilstein 6112/5160's.

This is weird to say, since I generally can't leave anything alone, but I'm looking forward to having a DD in the garage that all I do is drive it.  That I won't be looking to modify this or play with it other than basic maintenance for a long time.  That'll free up my time for the other cars in the stable (I'm looking at you, VW Corrado!)

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/13/22 8:19 p.m.

I was thinking about the at3w on my Expedition but @ $307 per tire I'm iffy if I should go with the Michelin's that I know. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/16/22 9:58 a.m.

Well, no trucking company picked up the job to bring it from San Diego to Denver.  Which baffles me, as LA is right there and Denver is a big hub.  Anyways we've arranged to have it driven out instead, it should get here this Sunday and I'll pick it up Monday.  Cost is the same to me, so I don't care, I just want it before Tuesday.

r3vhappy
r3vhappy New Reader
2/16/22 10:31 a.m.

I have 285/70/17 Falken WildPeak ATW3 (in 10 ply) on my 05 Sequoia and I LOVE them. Best all terrain tire I've ever had. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/16/22 11:00 a.m.

In reply to r3vhappy :

Got the exact same ones, I'm having them installed on the TRD wheels Tuesday morning.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/20/22 11:03 a.m.

Truck made it to Sante Fe yesterday and is on its way to Denver today.  I'll pick it up tomorrow at lunch and turn in the R.  Have a small list of things to do before heading up to Vail with friends Tuesday evening

#1  Get the TRD wheels/AT3W tires on the truck, gonna snow and mud terrain tires aren't the ticket

#2  Replace all the wiper blades (San Diego truck, I bet they're original and never used) and check the wiper fluid

#3 Put my roof rack/ski rack on

#4 Remove the third row seats

#5 Install my phone mount, hook up the XM radio, program the HomeLink

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/21/22 6:20 p.m.

Traded in the R at lunch and drove the Land Cruiser back to work.  Initial thoughts, the brakes are super strong, which is awesome!  Really comfortable truck, quiet, good infotainment, lots of storage, looks nice.  The mud terrain tires the previous owner put on SUCK!  They're loud and the front wheels don't feel particularly well balanced.

Luckily I've got another set of wheels/tires that are going on it tomorrow morning.  I managed to pair my phone already, transfer the XM radio subscription and print out my insurance card.

On the way home I'll buy wiper blades and then get working...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/21/22 7:03 p.m.

I like that brown interior. Looks sharp with the black exterior.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/21/22 8:03 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

It's a metallic black, which looks really cool in the light

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/21/22 8:07 p.m.

Got her home!  I've successfully paired my phone and programmed the Homelink.  Ordered my wiper blades, they'll be at my corner parts store tomorrow at 7:30am.  Loaded up my "new" TRD wheels, they're going on tomorrow with the AT3W tires at 11am.  Still need to install my phone mount.

Don't have space under the lift to install the roof rack with ski attachments, the TRD wheels should lower it an inch, so hopefully that helps. 

It barely fits in the garage!  I used to have a shop press in front of it, which I moved to the right hand corner of the garage so I could push my hose wheel all the way against the wall to gain room to walk in front of it.  There's no way I'll be able to keep the Kuat hitch bike rack on this thing and still fit it in the garage.  This is literally the largest SUV that'll fit in there, I really need to get a different house with a larger garage and a shop...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/22/22 9:03 a.m.

Well, cementing my suspicion that I need to replace the wipers, I ended up putting almost a full gallon of washer fluid in the tank.  So doubt the wipers have been used in a very long time.  Since I'm heading up into a storm I'll buy another gallon of washer fluid and bring it with me.  I need to drop by the auto parts store this morning to pick up my wipers anyways.

I should've opened up the phone mount when I got it last week.  Turns out it's just the console bracket and didn't come with a bracket to hold the actual phone like I thought.  I know the bracket I want but can't find it on ProClip's website.  I'll have to call them today, figure out which one it is and order it.

Just need to throw the roof rack on, I'll do that after the TRD wheels/tires get installed late this morning.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/22 9:49 a.m.

What's the ceiling height of your garage and what lift is that?

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7K2tB8GBFBN0QHDg9rWOwkaz1rk7zBH7QSfw9InRxZEBsWzCseRFmUYNDdwi97Kq