1 2 3 4 ... 33
barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
5/2/18 11:36 a.m.

Got the Mazda back to roller status. Pumped all the fuel out and put it in the camry. Pushed the heap out to the street and removed the wheels. Never sat a car on the ground before. No stands, no blocks, just a scrap of 2x4 so I could get the jack out from underneath. This morning I gave the scrapper my address and said come get it. I really like the looks of this car and if I am ever in a position to collect cars and can find a good example I think I'd buy another. But this one just rubbed me wrong.

Hopefully this is the last view I ever have of the car. Hateful little thing.I don't understand how so many things can break without being rusty first. More to come when I find something else to blow money on.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/18 12:07 p.m.

I remember when that came out, it was the softer version of the Probe.  IIRC, it actually did better in showroom stock competition than the Probe.  

Sounds like you followed some sage advice.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
5/5/18 10:58 p.m.

So. Fickle. 

The plan was again to buy the focus back. Some realistic considerations later, and I knew It wouldn't really be available for at least 6 months. Didn't want to wait, So I went out and bought my first ever brand new car. 2018 Honda Fit Sport 6mt in Orange Fury. So far I really enjoy driving it. It is a long term commitment, and has a warranty, so mods will be a while down the road. Should fit the needs of fun, sporty (my standards for sportiness and speed are really quite low), and practical (gotta do dad stuff).

I'll get pictures. But it looks just like the rest of them. Maybe some decals... 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/7/18 11:59 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

I remember when that came out, it was the softer version of the Probe.  IIRC, it actually did better in showroom stock competition than the Probe.  

Sounds like you followed some sage advice.

lots of things that I like in this photo.  

hvoxi
hvoxi New Reader
5/9/18 12:52 a.m.

Seems like for $18k you could get yourself both a safe family hauler + capable project car on the side. What made you change your mind? 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/10/18 6:22 p.m.

#challengemaybe2020 #1981 #fourdoorfox #sixcylindersaintenough #thepricewasright

Did a thing today. I'll just drop some photos and sit on it or a while.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/10/18 6:28 p.m.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/10/18 6:50 p.m.

Don't tell the guys over at fordsix that. There like a cult. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/10/18 7:22 p.m.

Fine, I'll say it first.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
12/10/18 7:35 p.m.
dropstep said:

Naw.
Inline-6 GM ATLAS swap. Really make 'em confused.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/10/18 7:58 p.m.

If it gets a swap (likely) it'll stay in the family because as I understand it the late model 200ci I6 shared a bellhousing pattern with SBF lumps. So no LS, no Atlas. Also we (my dad and I) are cheap and simple so there will be no EFI conversion either. 

Not sure what the rear end is or how much abuse a c4 can take, but the car is light so it shouldn't need a whole lot of power to be fun. Off to the local classifieds to find a 289 or 302 for cheaps. And maybe an 8.8 with limited slip if I can find one cheap enough. Also wheels and tires and........

Moar low, moar lightness... Or I might just start tearing it apart, give up, and send it to the scrapper.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/10/18 8:01 p.m.

For record keeping: https://stgeorge.craigslist.org/cto/d/1981-merc/6751366720.html

Two weeks ago the ad said $1600. Paid $500 now, $150 when I go by there next. *edit: paid in full.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/10/18 9:02 p.m.
barefootskater said:

If it gets a swap (likely) it'll stay in the family because as I understand it the late model 200ci I6 shared a bellhousing pattern with SBF lumps. So no LS, no Atlas. Also we (my dad and I) are cheap and simple so there will be no EFI conversion either. 

Not sure what the rear end is or how much abuse a c4 can take, but the car is light so it shouldn't need a whole lot of power to be fun. Off to the local classifieds to find a 289 or 302 for cheaps. And maybe an 8.8 with limited slip if I can find one cheap enough. Also wheels and tires and........

Moar low, moar lightness... Or I might just start tearing it apart, give up, and send it to the scrapper.

Trans wont work, wrong input shaft and your stock 200 should have the high mount starter making the bellhousing wrong. Rear end is a 7.5 and wont take alot, I 8.8 swapped my car and junked the stock 7.5.  Foxbody specific oil pan will be needed and for the love of God don't ls swap it. Check out fordsix and read lincs thread if you want the cheap route too power and don't care about motor life. He was up to 32psi blowing through the stock one barrel carb before it lifted the head.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/10/18 9:17 p.m.

No pics of Fit? 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/10/18 10:23 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/10/18 10:27 p.m.

Thank you sir!!

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/10/18 10:33 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

The thought of a turbo has crossed my mind. In a past life I boosted a 73 super beetle blowing 8psi through the stock carb.

Engine longevity matters more though with this car. If we do decide to Challenge it we'll be driving it there and (hopefully) back. 

My reading had me thinking that 1980+ cars had the "big-bell" 200 and this is an 81. Not very well versed in Ford though so this may have been a bad plan from the start. Still, I like the car and  I'm sure it'll be worth what I paid whether I flip it or hot rod it or LS swap itwink or whatever.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/10/18 11:31 p.m.

If it has the low mount starter it's the same as the v8 bell. For some reason it stuck in my head as a 78 because mines a 78 Easy enough to tell my starter is easier too change from the top. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/11/18 7:24 a.m.

That is a fox chassis correct.  PM me for a bunch of suspension parts that I could be convinced to take off of the Avatar Mustang.

Ok fine, 

A arms with offset poly bushings and steeda X2 ball joints.  Tokico blue shocks with matching springs, front and rear. 

This is what I'm currently running and it works well enough but the Koni DA's on the shelf are itching to get put on the car. 

Or just sell me that car so I can put it in Lemons. 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/11/18 8:31 a.m.

Very nice! That should be a fun project. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/11/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

PM sent

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
12/11/18 1:06 p.m.
dropstep said:

we ARE a cult... IIRC that will have a c4 behind it and the 7.5 read with a 2.73.. should do 70 if you like running at 4k.

also, that motor is the bestest. 

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
12/11/18 1:13 p.m.

also, yes, it is a "big bell" but not a direct swap to 5.0. See above comments. Takes the same shift kits and such though for the valve bodies.

pull out all of those air pumps and emissions crap, rebuild the 1946 carb, and put a blow through turbo on, you should be safe to 10 PSI with just some mods to the carb. The C4 is not the same the 5.0 one, but should be good to 250 HP, same with the rear. The 6 is great to 55, then dies. 3 speeds is a bit rough there. The stock motor hates any rpm above 4k, but turbo and new springs fixes (IIRC the SBC springs fit? See Linc's thread in the turbo section). The biggest issues is cooling, cylinder 6 likes to get hot so make sure water pump is good. It's a big block of iron that is easy to work on.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/11/18 1:49 p.m.

In reply to FunkyCricket :

Link to the thread? I can't seem to find it.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
12/11/18 2:23 p.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to dropstep :

The thought of a turbo has crossed my mind. In a past life I boosted a 73 super beetle blowing 8psi through the stock carb.

Engine longevity matters more though with this car. If we do decide to Challenge it we'll be driving it there and (hopefully) back.

I'm a big novice, but I have found some things online for a possible 351 build that might help.

Apparently, there is some kind of port located on the 302/351 fuel pump that allows for better fuel referencing to the carb, and there are many kits that allow stock Ford carbs the ability to go up to 7-8PSI on the cheap. 302s and 351s are cheap as chips, but the 351s apparently have some kind of affinity for boost and hardiness and avoid the 500HP "celing" the 302s have, per Motortrend/Hot Rod Magazine and a doctor I work with.

I don't know if this one's bellhousing could be used, but you could get great power with a small turbo using GT40 heads + springs, maybe springing (heh) for a better cam. I really think you could do it on challenge price, though as others are saying that rear end might be your limiting factor here.

1 2 3 4 ... 33

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BTzYX9g9MJxw9A5KjI8Nnf9ZVWzJMwy4eyMb8vgcqzR7oGx0uIryn5GywvzkaFdI