1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 33
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/27/20 9:50 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr (FS) :

It's dead. Pretty much nothing left on the drivers side. A road trip and race are a hell of a send off for the old car though. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/27/20 10:07 a.m.

Holy E36 M3. Glad you're okay, bummed about the car.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 10:15 a.m.

Steering wheel left a mark

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/27/20 10:33 a.m.

Daaamn.  Came here hoping for a pic of you guys at home, this sucks.

Hope everything checks out ok and you get home to the family soon.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/20 11:01 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

All said, in that little old car, being run down by an 18 wheeler, in the dark, in a snow storm. I should be a lot worse off. The circumstances are not ideal, but at least I get to see my wife today. 

barefootskater wins 2020 challenge "biggest understatement". and another story to tell.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 11:01 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Sorry to disappoint!

I think the wheels are a total loss though, which is sad. Dad said they were wedged in there and he couldn't get them out before the cops cleared the scene. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/27/20 11:07 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

That really sucks and I'm glad you're both OK and I have a bad idea for you to bring this full circle.  I have no idea what the "reconstructed title" process is in Utah, but if it's pretty loose or you know a guy... is it possible that the remaining portion of the Mustang could have the T Bird grafted on and solve the registration problem that had you driving it in the first place?

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 11:12 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

A story indeed. 

So, this may get sappy, and I make no secret about being religious. The last month with the thunderbird seemed like everything was working against me. Stuff broke, took forever, I had other things pop up which cost me several days work on the thing. 
Then, Thursday before we left, the car straight up wouldn't start. It always starts right away. Would. Not. Start. For anything. So we changed plans and took the other car. 

If we had been in the thunderbird, we'd have been in the same place, on the same road, at the same time. 
That accident would have ended very differently. That's all I have to say about that. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 11:14 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Creative!

No. the mustang is totaled. The thunderbird registration is easily solved. It just takes time. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/27/20 11:29 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

The night my 64 el camino was totalled in a t boning,  the miata clutch slipped. Never did again.

God looks out for us if were willing to let him. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/27/20 11:35 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

If we had been in the thunderbird, we'd have been in the same place, on the same road, at the same time. 
That accident would have ended very differently. That's all I have to say about that. 

This was one of my first thoughts but didn't want to post it.  A cross country road trip in a questionably legal, questionably safe, totally uncomfortable car sounds fun until things go sideways.  I'm guessing you would have stopped earlier without windows though.

I like to think the wheels added enough rigidity to the rear of the car that they helped the outcome.  I'd be more bummed about the brand new tires that were on them.  Maybe they'll help you get a few more bucks out of insurance.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

The wheels were great in all aspects. Thanks again!

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/20 11:53 a.m.

Wow! E36 M3, glad you are both still intact and not too banged up!

Cars can be replaced, scars and stories are what makes life interesting, but the important thing is that you get home to your family again.

dextervw
dextervw New Reader
10/27/20 11:54 a.m.

ooooof... glad you are both alright.  Heal up fast!  

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 11:58 a.m.

Good news! They tested me for covid. That's a big fat negative! Not that I was worried, but at this point any good news is welcome. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/27/20 12:04 p.m.

Glad everyone is ok. Prayers to you and yours. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/27/20 12:45 p.m.

Holy Berk! Glad that wasn't worse than it was. Get home safely and rest man. 

wae
wae UberDork
10/27/20 12:53 p.m.

Wow...  That's providence there.  I'm glad to hear that you and your dad are okay.  And while it's a shame that it's the end of the road for the Mustang, what a ride it had to get there!

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 1:14 p.m.

In reply to wae :

And I was super jazzed to get that muffler installed. I think dad managed to grab it. May end up on the replacement. 

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/20 1:21 p.m.

Make sure insurance knows about all those go-fast parts you had on the car! Need to get top dollar for your trouble. If a trucker hit you he should have a decent policy, especially if he drives for a company.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/20 1:44 p.m.

I'm glad you're ok man, really glad you're ok.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 2:11 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr (FS) :

Yeah I'm planning to inform them I actually spent money on the wheels, the tires were new, two sets of wheel spacers, a race muffler, fancy suspension stuff. We'll see how it goes. 

What I was told, the guy (doing 55. BullE36 M3.)came up on me, doing 45, and tried to change lanes to pass. Hit some ice, lost control, and the trailer hit the drivers rear and knocked us off the road. The truck flipped on its side and slid 200 feet and completely blocked the frontage toad. 
BullE36 M3 on a 10mph difference. He hit me hard, pretty much collapsing the rear end, and the drivers side was basically ripped off. 
I have no sympathy for shiny happy people like that nearly killing people because they can't be bothered to account for road conditions. Almost every truck on the road this morning flew past us. Most must have been doing 70. This particular guy was unlucky. His truck landed on the drivers side and pinned him in, crushing his arm. From what I heard, the arm is coming off. Elbow was totally mangled. I feel bad for that, really, but his injury wasn't the only one he caused. Loss of cdl should be mandatory. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/27/20 5:15 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun)
10/28/20 1:07 a.m.

Home safe and sound. I'm going to bed now. 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/28/20 9:29 a.m.

What a bummer! Get better, hopefully there are no lasting injuries to get over.

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 33

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ON3cnf08ibOf4tqQyvbPNXY7kyXkNBKWhW6lg1XuxosZ5vHnYIiFFNyrUjUeJtK2