1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/3/20 9:37 a.m.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/61855438

Just in case you want a little extra work.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/3/20 10:52 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

That's a bit too much extra work. Now, if I was looking to do a 32v manual swap... 

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 1:53 p.m.

Subaru? High miles, manual, never owned one before:

https://stgeorge.craigslist.org/cto/d/hildale-2001-subaru-forester-manual/7223998931.html

Saab? Low miles, auto, sunroof! No experience:

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6715264

Honda fit! Manual! No ac. Rebuilt title. 
https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6794914

Thoughts?

Final number including tax and fees for the Mercury is 3971.58. Considering the market right now it's not that bad. And it's a lot of car. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/3/20 2:27 p.m.

Old Subarus you NEED a maintenance history. It's either had all the important stuff replaced or it hasnt and you're looking at head gaskets and timing belt at the same time. 

That generation of Saab, run. Don't walk. If you can borrow a car to drive away I'd do that instead. That a malibu with a saab interior basically. A lot of things are unobtanium on it now. They're quick and drive nice but long term they'd suck.

Fit is Japanese built. I personally dislike them very much but of the options listed would be my choice (aside from what I listed).

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 2:42 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Ok then, Hyundai man, sell me the sonata. I was washing those at the local dealer when that car was new. I know it's fairly quick. I don't really care for the transmission, but that's just personal. How do they hold up with 225 on the odometer? How hacked are the tuning bits? Is the suspension any good? Upgradeable?

Im open, but you gotta sell it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/3/20 2:51 p.m.

That engine/trans is cockroach-like. As long as it's had oil changes it'll last forevers*. Suspension is actually good, double wishbone front, multi-link rear. Tim (Sleepyheadbuffalocritterperson) did a semi-prep on one for 2018 OLoA. For a DD that is also fun to be in its a decent choice. It makes almost as much power as the Panther's you're looking at with 2 less cylinders. You could always replace it if it blows with the Azera 3.8 Lambda for some extra cubes and torque. 

There are suspension components available for lowering. There's wheelwell room for 255's and the brakes are pretty good stock. Plus they gave all the doo-dads that make a modern car and tons of safety built in.

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 7:12 p.m.

Well, despite some sage advice, I'm driving home another ford. Pics incoming. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/3/20 7:21 p.m.

I looked at the ad for the Fit with a stick. Do they seriously only get 27 mpg? That's pretty pathetic!!! I remember after so called "hybrids" had been out a while, the first guy I knew that bought one new got a sporty one... was braggin' bout 36mpg. I was driving a 96 Buick Regal that did that (ok, ONLY 35mpg) on the hwy!

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I'm sure that's with a slightly heavy foot and just around town. My 18 fit said 29/34. I never saw less than 34 around town and it did 38-40 on the highway. 

Wife said no to that 1st gen because rebuilt title and no ac. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/3/20 7:28 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Hooray! laugh

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/3/20 7:57 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

I'm sure that's with a slightly heavy foot and just around town. My 18 fit said 29/34. I never saw less than 34 around town and it did 38-40 on the highway. 

Wife said no to that 1st gen because rebuilt title and no ac. 

THAT is worth giving up a boat for a roller skate for! 27 ain't!

And yes, we are impaitently waiting... on the edge of my seat...

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
11/3/20 8:13 p.m.

I really hope it's the Grandma-kee, it looks CLEAN, and would be the perfect "safe family car" compromise (after opening up the exhaust a little laugh).

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 8:14 p.m.

And I'm reminded why I hate the dealer process. I have private financing, why do I have to wait for the finance office. It's a wholesale car. You're not selling me an extended warranty. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
11/3/20 8:22 p.m.

YES!  I think that answers my question.yes

I think they do it to punish you.  I had a pocket full of cash and they made me wait to see what rate they could get me even tho I told them there was a less than zero chance I'd finance.  

I asked them to wash the car I drove there in and they did.  30 mins later I told them they either detail my old car or give me the paperwork.  They gave me the paperwork without a finance quote.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/3/20 8:40 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:

YES!  I think that answers my question.yes

I think they do it to punish you.  I had a pocket full of cash and they made me wait to see what rate they could get me even tho I told them there was a less than zero chance I'd finance.  

I asked them to wash the car I drove there in and they did.  30 mins later I told them they either detail my old car or give me the paperwork.  They gave me the paperwork without a finance quote.

Obviously, I too am happy, if you and I are guessing correctly! (Love the Grandma thing ya did! Took me a re-read to get it!

And love your negotiating method!

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 9:30 p.m.

Unfortunately I didn't drive it home tonight. I had #1 with me and nobody to drive the rental back home. So I'll get it tomorrow. I own it, and it is registered. 

I didn't get any new pictures, but the dealer ad I linked on the last page was updated with pics. *edit* and the ad was removed when the car was sold. So since new page and all, this is the only pic I have:

It's not perfect, but way cleaner than the Mudstain.

Silver grandma spec MGM. Power everything. Keyless entry (anyone know how to find or reprogram the door code?), heated mirrors, split bench, good leather, am/fm/cd, cruise, 

It doesn't have a sun roof, and only comes with one remote fob. Also the driver window has auto-down but not auto-up. I feel like I'm really slumming it here. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

And eventually I'll open up the exhaust. More than a little. This is a single pipe car. I have a panther crazy friend with a bunch of speed parts left from his last project. Tuner, 30lb injectors, accel coils, some others. Eventually I'll get another set of tires mounted on my 5 spoke mustang wheels, install some drop springs, and see if I can find heavier sway bars. I'm way over budget for a challenge entry, but that doesn't mean my mods won't be cheap. Also eventually a proper lsd with either 3.55 or 3.73 gears. Should be easily sourced for an 8.8

wae
wae UberDork
11/3/20 9:39 p.m.
anyone know how to find or reprogram the door code?

I know that the trucks have a GEM up under the dash with a label on it that has the default code printed.  Failing that, FORSCAN is free and should be able to get the code out of the computer.  You can also print out a list of all the possible codes and just go through them one-by-one.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/3/20 9:43 p.m.

They used to put the door code on a sticker in the trunk somewhere, but they quit at some point. Not sure what year they quit though.

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 9:44 p.m.

Also I'll be doing a bit of maintenance. This probably still has the factory plugs in it. The rad hoses still say motorcraft, and the serp belt doesn't look very fresh. check the brakes, things like that. 

Also I looked up the safety ratings. It apparently does pretty good on everything except side impacts for front seat occupants. It may have side airbags. They were an option but I didn't check. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/3/20 10:43 p.m.

An HPP (handling package) rear sway bar is 22 mm. Can be hard to find these days.  Mine came with 15mm rear; not worth upgrading to the common 19 mm police bar. Unless yours came without one at all. The front is different from no rear, 15 mm and 19 (p71 - cop and taxi package) but I don’t remember what they are. The adico bars are nice but rear only is too much for some front bars. 

Stainless hedders and duals are EXPENSIVE!! But not really any cheap options... let me know if ya find one!

I imagine you’d has 2.73 gears... lotta folks think 3.73 is too big a jump, but you’ll prolly love ‘em!

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 10:51 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I'll see if I can get a spec sheet. If ford still has the files available I have folks who have access. 
Headers are probably a step too far. At least for the near future. Cat back, good mufflers, better intake, tune. That's probably all I'll throw at it for a while. 
About 6 years ago I helped a buddy re gear his. Went from 3.24 to 3.73 and it was substantial. Limited slip rears are junkyard easy, and most are 3.55 or 3.73 in the police cars or explorers or such. If not, ford racing sells gear sets for $200. 
But for now? It's just gas and drive until I'm back on my feet and the legal insurance nonsense is in the rear view. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/3/20 11:00 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :
But for now? It's just gas and drive until I'm back on my feet and the legal insurance nonsense is in the rear view. 

Honestly, that's all I've done to mine for the last 50K!  Bit of minor maint., and added a hitch and wiring. Towed 200 gallons of fuel today. 1800Lbs of fuel and trailer.. other than care in stopping, and keeping it in a lower gear. all smooth!!

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/3/20 11:45 p.m.

Also 

#grannymuscle #fatanswer #makeroadssmoothagain 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/4/20 6:49 a.m.

I will convert you..... I will. 

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners