1 2 3 ... 6
spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/20 11:01 p.m.

I've been driving this car off and on for 12 years.. but it's never been my car.

It's been my parents car....  specifically my dad's. My parents bought it 12 years ago next month. I remember the day they brought it home VERY clearly.

R2 is looking like it's going to need time to shake it down, and I don't have the time to do that before I drive it across the country to TX.

My dad suggested I buy the Fit off him.. which I've been kinda trying to do for YEARS. Insurance called today to give me numbers for Ronald and it's enough to buy the Fit and then I can worry about parting Ronald and Selling R2 in the meantime. 

Car has lived in the midwest for it's entire life, but I borrowed this car for the summer 9 years ago when i did my first internship at NASA JSC. This car cas been to the Alamo and it went to the last space shuttle launch. I have a lot of memories in this car.

I even drove this car to senior prom and lots of other fun senior year memories from high school. I learned to properly drive a stick on this car.

It has ALWAYS been special to me...

7/30/20 12:29 a.m.

The plan is to deploy this car as my new DD and sell R2 and Ronald to fund a K24 swap for Hazmat.

That plan allows me to pull the rear seats out of hazmat, toss in the roll bar and the harnesses..... and focus on it being a track car first and foremost.

The Fit may be used for Gridlife Spec Fit.. but it's not my primary concern right now.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/30/20 3:58 a.m.

a wild couple of months

I recommend getting some fresh rotors, stainless lines, and HP+ pads... that way you can roll it onto a track if the need arises, while Hazmat is "in work".  Also, keep in mind, miata wheels won't fit over the larger Honda centerbore

congrats, good luck!

Sweet! I love some FIT.

Edit: Not to be too much of a vulture, but I'd be interested in some of Ronald's bones when the time comes.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 7:23 a.m.

Same. Id LOVE the hardtop if its budget enough and we can find a way to get it to the challenge. 

Ive always liked the fit, but never owned one. Just drove them a bit.

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/20 7:52 a.m.

I had a GE8 Fit. Awesome cars with some suspension and tire work done. Mine was a 09 Fit Base Manual. It was a car you could drive 90 percent of its ability 90 percent of the time and have fun.  Never fast, but FUN.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/30/20 8:13 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

The plan is to deploy this car as my new DD and sell R2 and Ronald to fund a K24 swap for Hazmat.

That plan allows me to pull the rear seats out of hazmat, toss in the roll bar and the harnesses..... and focus on it being a track car first and foremost.

The Fit may be used for Gridlife Spec Fit.. but it's not my primary concern right now.

I fully support the first two lines of this. The third I do not. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/30/20 8:29 a.m.

The Fit IS go. I really miss my little orange car. Gonna buy another at some point. 
Great color on that one. May I suggest white wheels?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/30/20 8:44 a.m.

I love my daughters Fit every time I drive it. I would NEVER have supported you getting rid of Ronald for this Fit normally, but since Ronald is dead, I think this is a good move. 

BoxsterSteve
BoxsterSteve New Reader
8/2/20 12:52 p.m.

They are a quirky little car with a ton of interior room. I followed mazdeuce's Fit thread and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The wife's friend brought hers by, and my son drove it around and proclaimed that he has to find one for himself. He's 6'4"and has no issue with headroom or space for his gangly arms and legs.

And he's a more proficient miser than I am and wants a car that is super cheap to run and insure. I think he found a winner.

8/3/20 10:23 a.m.

Spent my weekend working false grid at Gridlife Mid-Ohio.

Lead car in this photo is my buddy Matt.

he gave me some tips on what i need to do with the Fit for wheels and tires and I've got a plan on how to move forward!

I rode in his car with Adam Jabaay driving at Gridlife Midwest festival in 2018. that was the lightbulb moment for me on how good these are as reliable little track cars, abiet.... slow ones.. 

Dad and I are headed out tomorrow to go car shopping for him.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/3/20 10:31 a.m.

for wheels and tires and I've got a plan on how to move forward!

So what wheel/tire combo are you ordering?

Bet when your parents bought it new, they never thought it was a race car. 

8/3/20 10:48 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

no set plans on wheels, but matt made me aware of the issues with rolling the rear fenders to make 8" wide wheels fit.. and the Falkens don't like an 8 anyway.. but the old Maxxis spec tire for the class did. so thats why he had to.

so looking for 7.5's or 7's

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/3/20 10:55 a.m.

Do you live in Michigan?  I think I was on track in my rx7 rally car with that blue fit at Grattan earlier this May...

8/3/20 10:56 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

i do not, that blue fit is from the TN area too.... so maybe he was there? but i doubt it.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/3/20 12:47 p.m.

no set plans on wheels, but matt made me aware of the issues with rolling the rear fenders to make 8" wide wheels fit.. and the Falkens don't like an 8 anyway.. but the old Maxxis spec tire for the class did. so thats why he had to.

My 15x7 TE 37s would look fantastic on it devil

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/3/20 3:21 p.m.

Yup. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/3/20 5:02 p.m.

I have a set of bronze 15" Konig Helium that I'd sell you cheap. I ran them on my 2013 Fit for a few years. Pretty certain they're 6.5 wide. Are you in IL currently?

8/3/20 6:05 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I am, you have a PM.

8/4/20 9:56 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

My 15x7 TE 37s would look fantastic on it devil

David S. Wallens said:

Yup. 

Man TE37's would look AWESOME... but man i'm not sure I'm balling on a $1k+ set of wheels on $3k street car budget... lol

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/5/20 9:29 p.m.

At the current moment the Fit has... The same amount of go? MUCH better looking wheels. And tires that have tons of tread and no dry rot!

8/5/20 10:17 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Thanks again man! It was great to meet you and your lovely wife. 

Also, you were right.. totally rides better.. these have a lot more sidewall than i realized

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/6/20 11:40 a.m.

Nice! My wife and I have an '09 that we bought new. I love that thing. Still trying to convince her to get something to replace it so I can use it for rallycross, but I'm pretty sure she's going to drive it until it literally falls apart (which will be a long time from now, we have 160k on it and are still on the original clutch).

8/6/20 2:23 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

Mazdeuce can tell you one major reason why rallyx in a b spec car is a bad idea.

but i understand the sentiment, i suggest going to find a Miata.

8/15/20 5:34 p.m.

After nearly 2 weeks of actively looking we finally found the new car for my parents. 

We gave up in finding a clean and affordable Mazda5. 

Turns out the trunk floor load in height of a Gen3 CR-V is only 2 inches higher than a Gen 1 GD Honda Fit. Which was a concern of my dad's. 

Dad is getting a major upgrade.

09 EX-L AWD CR-V with 14k miles less than the Fit. I'm handing them some extra $$ towards the sale of the Fit to makeup the cost difference over thier original budget. I HATED every CR-V and Mazda5 that was in their original budget, target age and miles, that we looked at. We bought the Fit from this same dealership 12 years ago. The first pencil(buyer's order) that the sales manager brought me the other day when we first came to look at it had a $900 accessories charge in it. I laughed so hard, muttered under my breath that it was berkeleying bullE36 M3 and my dad and I left. Someone met us in the parking lot that day as we were leaving and tried to work out a deal in the parking lot. It left me with the feeling they were workable on the car and not above making a deal, unlike another dealer I went to. 

We cameback today and knocked out a deal.

Also, Fit officially rolled 150k miles yesterday! 

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c7kWoTiPdDIuQfegy9dmiMjswHNgSqyrdq9vDNTrIeb7yuyopiDGbsAAZvTbpLRx