1 2 3
DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
5/1/21 7:25 a.m.

I got two very different boxes of happiness today. 

Two new lower grills, vacuum hose replacement and 20 new lug nuts.

Proof copies of my new book. smiley

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/1/21 4:49 p.m.

Available on amazon?   always liked the genesis coupe.......thanks for sharing 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
5/1/21 7:57 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yessir, and now that I checked there are no horrible printing errors, I'm comfortable saying so!

And I'm glad you're enjoying the journey with the Genny, I sure am. 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
6/16/21 8:09 a.m.

More little stuff on the Genesis. 

These little vents were chopped up and broken on the back side, causing some vibration.

Pulled the bumper off (and did a little mock up for a later project) and found absolutely no rust or crash damage. Nice little surprises.

But I did find this. When the previous owner updated the intercooler he evidently left the stocker in place. It's not hooked to anything but I wonder why they didn't get rid of it.

Shiny new inserts.

All buttoned back up.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
6/21/21 5:07 a.m.

I'm buying new wheels soon. The wheels on the car right now are very pretty, but I don't trust the quality/condition any more. Because I'd like the quality and subtlety to remain, I'm looking at these OEM Hyundai/Kia wheels as potential replacements. 

These are the stock 18s off of a G70 Genesis.

These are 2020 Genesis G80 18 inchers.

Kia Seltos 18s

2021 G80 18 inchers

2009-2014 Genesis Sedan 18s. 

Which do you guys think would look best?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/21/21 7:29 a.m.

The g70's probably. 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
7/25/21 8:54 a.m.

Just got the Genny dynoed and tuned. The baseline was 189 whp at 5900 rpm at 209 wtq at 3,000 rpm, which seems about right for an otherwise stock theta turbo with a pod filter and upgraded intercooler. After the tune those numbers went up to 209 whp at 6,000 rpm and 253 wtq at 3100 rpm. Which is nice, and will certainly be better if I stop being the idiot who brings a tank full of 87 octane to the dyno.

But the really exciting thing, the change I absolutely LOVELOVELOVE, is the reprogramed e-throttle. I have really disliked every Hyundai/Kia e throttle I've experienced in everything from a brand new Genesis G80 to a Kia Morning. They rev hang like crazy and sometimes even "auto blip" when you let off the throttle to upshift. They also go into spasm mode at light load and respond to inputs with about as much immediacy as an ocean tide. As a bonus, my Genesis Coupe's setup also had the car idling at a nice, choppy 680 rpm. 

The guys at Pross/Lap3 in Pyeongtaek did just an awesome job. Zero complaints or problems when I asked for a higher idle speed, no problem when I asked to kill the rev hang and helpful suggestions and options for improving throttle response. They also corrected a very rich full throttle AFR I had no idea existed. Mid 10s to mid 11s. In a probably related note, I just got the best mpg I've ever achieved driving back home. Just wonderful.

Throttle response is so much quicker I accidentally left traffic lights at 3,000 rpm on several occasions. Heel-toe downshifts are an absolute pleasure now. The engine feels a million times happier to rev and upshifts are way, way quicker since the engine no longer takes forever to drop revs. It really feels like I went from one of these flywheels 

to one of these

The car is sooooo much better now it's hard to express. 

Now, if only I could figure out why the stock tune was so bad. Certainly it wasn't an attempt to hoodwink testing agencies. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/21 10:18 a.m.

I'd pick the G70 wheels. Selto wheels 2nd.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/25/21 10:53 a.m.

G70 wheels if out  of the options presented.  Enkei RFP1's out of the options that were not.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
7/25/21 10:18 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

RPF1 | Enkei Wheels

That's a disturbingly good looking wheel. Hmmm. 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
8/2/21 11:42 a.m.

Just got the best and second best full tank mpg figures ever after the tune. Man, it's good. 

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle New Reader
8/3/21 10:15 a.m.

I worked at a Hyundai dealer in 2017 and always thought these cars had really heavy steering compared to the rest of the lineup, despite that they were a blast to road test. Our electrical guy also had one and one day turned the screw on the back of the turbo all the way up and was blown away with the increase in boost. On the wheel front I vote for these:

they're the factory rim off a 2017+ Sonata Sport. Hyundai #70879. I've been a closet Hyundai fan my whole life and like where this is going, keep up the good work. 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
10/21/21 2:58 a.m.

Got super busy lately so I've been kind of neglecting the Genesis. Trying to start a business and trying to finish my thesis ... 

Anyway, stopped by the local Hyundai Mobis today and bought the parts to replace "questionable aftermarket bauble #48" today. Pictures coming soon.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
2/2/22 9:04 a.m.

Finally got a break from the craziness and swapped out the questionable aftermarket tail lights for the very handsome factory ones. Also, the factory ones don't' fill with water (yet), so double positives. 

These are the aftermarket lights that came with the car when I bought it. They aren't bad, but only about half the LEDs were working and the passenger's side light was leaking both into the housing itself and into the trunk. 

The one on top is what came out. The genuine Hyundai light is the one installed into the car. 

What it looks like now that the car isn't absolutely filthy. I think I prefer the OEMs. 

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
2/3/22 9:25 a.m.

I like the decal on the back. Can you post a link amazon, ebay where I could buy one? I couldn't find it.  Thanks

W

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
2/4/22 1:25 a.m.

In reply to clownkiller :

These aren't available on ebay or Amazon, but I can screen shot you through ordering on Coupang (Korean Ebay) or, if you prefer, I'll snail mail you personally. 

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
2/4/22 12:40 p.m.

I found a good screen shot. I will have some cut.

Thanks

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lwHrCOMJytx5qj0KnGIS5iFxVjuzrpLwQRNdEyQsHfMi8yUJ6PzTWTE6TpiqtDfT