1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/19/23 5:17 p.m.

I took two half days this week to put in more hours on the Lotus. I was getting stressed by having a non-driving car just the week before competition.

So, today I drove it! 

It is very fast.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/23 5:29 p.m.

And Very low. From that angle it looks as tall as the El Camino fender!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/23 5:37 p.m.

I would consider splitting the rear lengthwise and moving the entire quarter panels out when you get to anesthetics.

I can't wait to see this car!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/19/23 6:39 p.m.

Fantastic!! Any major issues arise on shakedown drive?

wvumtnbkr
5/19/23 6:52 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I took two half days this week to put in more hours on the Lotus. I was getting stressed by having a non-driving car just the week before competition.

So, today I drove it! 

It is very fast.

Quote for 2 reasons...

1) pure awesomeness.

2) it almost looks like it has a gulf livery.  Which is very badass.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/19/23 6:57 p.m.

Somebody send him some cans of blue and orange paint.

maschinenbau
5/19/23 7:49 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Just one so far, but it seems to be fixing itself

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/19/23 10:35 p.m.

Excellent. Somehow I don't think our 2020 method of "rolling" the fenders would work as well here. All the same, anything for those 335s amirite?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/19/23 10:42 p.m.

This is so awesome.  Super glad to hear it's working.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
5/20/23 6:29 a.m.

Great!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/23 6:53 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

So, today I drove it! 

It is very fast.

Awesome!!!

It's amazing how having the rear tires stick out several inches completely improves the appearance. I'm also sad I'm not going to be there to see it this year. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/23 10:41 a.m.

Great success!

maschinenbau
5/20/23 12:16 p.m.

To bring everyone up to speed, I've basically just been wiring the past few days. While the Toyota powertrain wiring has been complete for a while, I had to build a chassis electrical system from scratch. To do this right takes a lot of time and the progress isn't very visual. It is also very tedious when recycling wiring from the donor car, which means lot of butt splices and color changes. I made sure to include everything needed for a street car, including fans, high/low beams, turn signals, brake lights, and even reverse lights and horn. I also expended great effort to keep the Toyota key tumbler, which meant extending the powertrain harness via more tedious butt splices.

To fix the hood-to-fan clearance, I cut a chunk out of the hood and screwed it to the nose. 

I wasn't a big fan of this hasty solution, but it was good enough for a first drive!

...Which went really well! Like I mentioned above, the front fenders rubbed a bit, but some careful cutting of the inner lip fixed that. The second drive was much more pleasant without the constant scraping noises. I won't get out on the main roads yet, but around the neighborhood everything about the car seems...fine! It runs, drives, shifts, downshifts, stops, steers, and doesn't make any funny noises (except that stupid alternator). Sitting in it is a little weird, but cozy. You feel awkwardly close to the windshield, until you turn your head and realize you are simultaneously close to the rear window. It's just a very tiny car, so you are close to everything in it. The seat and belts feel comfortable and secure. The pedal ergonomics are surprisingly good, though a bit narrow. The steering feels amazing. This is a manual rack and pinion, but the heavy rear bias makes it easy to turn, even while parking. It begs you to corner harder, and I very much want to. Brakes are very powerful, enough to lock the fronts on command, though probably a bit too front biased. It's hard to tell because the tires and pads are all very fresh, so more bedding/scrubbing may be needed first. And the sound...it actually sounds very good to me with nothing but the manifold pre-cats and y-pipe, unlike my VQ Datsun. This V6 sounds like a proper sports car, perhaps even...a supercar? I'm also quite sure it pulls harder than Datsaniti ever did...it is alarmingly fast.

After the successful first drives, I rewarded myself with an aesthetic mod. The radiator placement and lack of an engine up front meant this car was just begging for a deep hood duct. 

Hood still tilts open. I may even find time to glass it in properly.

I'm feeling really good about myself and the Free Europa now. A running, driving car is a huge, welcome relief with the Challenge only a week away. Like I said on page 1 of this story, the $2000 Challenge is this car's destiny, and I'm going to take it there. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
5/20/23 12:22 p.m.

Hot damn, after years in the making you got this thing going! Looks fantastic! Congrats!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/20/23 12:34 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Berk Yeah!

Congrats.

wvumtnbkr
5/20/23 12:45 p.m.

berkeley yes!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/20/23 1:48 p.m.

The only downside to this build is that the legend of the Free Europa has come to an end. Its like the emptiness you get after finishing the last chapter of the last book in a good series.

Now what?!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/20/23 1:55 p.m.

I'm really excited!  You have done what I could not. It's fantastic to see it coming together!!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
5/20/23 5:45 p.m.

Awesome! I can hardly wait to drive mine!!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/23 10:20 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I'm feeling really good about myself and the Free Europa now. 

Dude! As well you should.

Rad.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/23 10:25 a.m.

Dude.

Dude!

DUDE!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/23 10:28 a.m.

also, please do not paint this year.

2023 = insane rat builds

maschinenbau
5/22/23 1:15 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

also, please do not paint this year.

You say that like I even have the time! I might spray primer over the bare patches of fiberglass, otherwise it's just numbers and send it.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/22/23 1:22 p.m.

It looks awesome!!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/23 1:37 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

bonus concours point from me if you don't primer the bare spots

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners