Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/25/19 8:57 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Vigo :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k43yAI-LJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAXaVJsyLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zda1efskMU

So I'll have you know, due to this post I just found myself looking for a wrecked Tiburon for my next Frankenstein project. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/26/19 7:22 a.m.

In reply to Crackers :

YOU'RE WELCOME!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/5/19 7:18 p.m.

Took a half day off. Needed a break from work. Wife is still on spring break so we loaded up the dogs and headed to Illinois for a new to me engine. $174 and 4 hours later we have an engine with a 30 day warranty. Woohoo!

Gratuitous happy pooch pic. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/5/19 9:45 p.m.

Super excited to see this one come together. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/6/19 1:49 a.m.

sounds like a good 1/2 day to have!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/19/19 3:41 p.m.

Can someone tell me why this is such a bad idea? 

$300 coilovers

I know, they're probably absolutely horrific.... 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/19/19 3:50 p.m.

They probably just suck. I doubt they'll break and kill you or anything. There is a non-zero chance that you'll be able to disassemble them and put in inserts that don't suck, which would end up being good. 

The real question is whether or not they're worse than cheap shocks and a generic coilover kit. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/19/19 4:00 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah, I'm still leaning towards springs and KYB's for comfort. I wish the K-sports were that cheap, then I could send them to FEAL and have them properly built.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/19 6:56 a.m.
appliance_racer said:

I believe the lower intake manifold was supposedly the choke point on the 2.7. Hyundai did the EGR function with cam timing. Without variable cam timing the engine is always diluting the intake charge with EGR. We were told this was done to simplify parts counts for production. 

So I was thinking about this on the drive in. I now have an extra intake, so I could port the extra. I may need to try it. I ordered the first round of parts yesterday. Plugs, wires, gaskets and a set of headers because the mani-cats are busted.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/23/19 12:49 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah, I'm still leaning towards springs and KYB's for comfort. I wish the K-sports were that cheap, then I could send them to FEAL and have them properly built.

I dont want to hint too much but if you go on Amazon and look for Ksport coilovers by the Elantra part number there might be a set on there for $340.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/19 3:46 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

I've tried every way I can find and don't see it

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/24/19 2:32 p.m.

So I ordered the headers after looking at the mani-cats. One had sideways blocks of ceramic pieces in them. I could have just hollowed them out but for $107 shipped, I get both headers and a new flex pipe all shiny. Other bits and baubles showing up as well. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/19 10:44 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

I've tried every way I can find and don't see it

Use an Amazon tracker on the part number. You enter a price in and when it hits that price or lower they will notify you. Buy it then. It especially helpful when they get down to "1 left in stock" and they want to move them from the shelves. Ive gotten a set of H&R Sport springs and a set of Ksport Kontrol Pro's both for 1/4 of what they were worth for our Chump Elantra.

Try camelcamelcamel.com and see how that works for you.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/27/19 4:45 p.m.

Progress!

Test fitted the headers. The cheapies have a habit of not clearing the ac compressor. Not an issue. Also cleaned up the best pair of cam covers and laid down the first coat of bright red. Started porting the lower intake. I see how why there were such good gains. No lie there’s an 1/8” all around the gasket (upper and lower ) that protrudes inside the gasket. 

Got other little things like the new plugs and belt on etc. clearing up the cut harness and misc stuff from the junk yard. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/28/19 5:23 p.m.

Injust realized this has become a very “tubey “ engine. 

Lower manifold is about 75% done. Upper needs more cleaning. Cam covers just look like poop. I think I’m going to have to wet sand then again and try one more time. This old paint may just be too old. Who knows how many years it’s sat in the cabinet. I may have to break down and buy a new can. 

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/29/19 7:25 a.m.

I had a 05 V6 6 Speed. Fun car - underpowered but FUN. Very well put together.  Do the Clutch slave cylinder mod. Remove the restrictor out of it. Makes the clutch more linear - not dampened.  The clutch from factory sucks, the transmission is the same as some year Sentra SE-R Spec V.  Id recommend a set of headers as well.  Really opens the car up.  Also exhaust. The stock piping where it splits into duals flattens down pretty harsh. 

Enjoy!

EDIT - Just saw the headers - really need to read before I post.

Here Try this.

Tiburon - CMC Mod

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/29/19 7:49 a.m.

this car already has braided clutch line, restrictor removed, single mass flywheel and clutch kit. That alone was almost worth the asking price. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/3/19 9:29 a.m.

OK.... new goal. Have the Tib ready for Gatlinburg on our anniversary (June 8th). Wife decided to do something on our anniversary and it looks like we're doing a cabin down there for tha weekend. So.... I need to get crackin'!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/4/19 5:10 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I dub thee Tuberon!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/19 7:17 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
bobzilla said:

I dub thee Tuberon!

Tuberance Ron

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/5/19 4:46 a.m.

OK, yesterday was the motivator. The next few weekends are E36 M3 but I have 3 hours every night I can be using and I will. Gotta get this biznitch ready.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/8/19 2:03 p.m.

Oh oh oh..... I may have found a decent suspension for a really good price! Must wait until tommorrow.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/19 2:45 p.m.

I found my livery. silver instead of white... but close enough. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/13/19 2:55 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Same knifeless tape and vinyl bought off of amazon (maybe Vvivid Brand) will get you that livery pretty easy.  

Video of knifeless tape.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWqIBnr-1yg

My guess is $40 to do that blue.  My method for Challenge purpose is to by more vinyl than needed.  Safe your scraps and only budget for the amount of vinyl that goes on the car.  The tape will not be part of the budget, it is a tool.  It does not remain on the car and go down the drag strip.  

mazdeuce - Seth
5/13/19 2:56 p.m.

We were talking about this car all week on One Lap. We're excited.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QWHVZsABBvqIICkLGpxOk8DmJicvtH1dXFDjdxbbErktiw36sQxxIoCYfi0qtw87