1 2 3 ... 19
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/19 12:51 a.m.

Yep. It’s official. I have a $2019 build car. Also, for the first time since January 2013 I am back to being a crooked h owner. I’m also a hypocrite if you followed my rants back in my early elantra days. 

This was taken right before we got onto the interstate to head home. 8 hours of driving with the wife and 2 dogs. A clean title, 2 sets of keys and remotes and a snapped timing belt. Lots of good stuff on this one.  Brand new general exclaim tires, complete clutch upgrade with new hydraulics and braided line. She’s not perfect by any means but finally.... a real challenge car. 

So, starting price: $500

bad news.... wife said I can’t play with it until the truck is more done-ish. But don’t worry I can slap a new engine in it in a weekend if I need to!

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
2/10/19 2:50 a.m.

Excellent!!!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/19 5:25 a.m.

Yay!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/10/19 5:27 a.m.

This.

Is. 

AWESOME! 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/10/19 5:30 a.m.

Giggity 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/10/19 5:58 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Yep. It’s official. I have a $2019 build car. Also, for the first time since January 2013 I am back to being a crooked h owner. I’m also a hypocrite if you followed my rants back in my early elantra days. 

A) Woohooo!  Awesome

B) "rants back in my early elantra days"... I pretty sure those rants have continued forward to not too long ago... especially w.r.t. the V6 Tiburon

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/19 8:17 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Yeah.  I would have definitely preferred a 2.0 5-spd but we take what we can get at the right price. This thing does have a lot going for it. Muffler delete, since it has the sunroof that means it got the better suspension with their largest sway bars (think z51) which I just verified. Hell the 19mm stock rear sway bar isn’t even made by Hyundai anymore. They only offer the 18mm stock replacement. 

The bad news is this is the heaviest tiburon made. I’ll have to be creative about weight reduction. This is also pre-cracked ecu and as far as I know no one tunes the early cars without cvvt. 

For challenge, my plan is running, clean and as pretty as I can get it for the very least amount of money I can spend. Post challenge I’ll focus on suspension, weight reduction and additional power. I’ll be no where near Seth and his Honda for power or weight but I believe this will be the first Hyundai (unless someone beats me this year). It has a rebuilt ac system (compressor, lines and dryer) a really good stereo and cruise. 

I’ll  be looking for 17x8’s and probably a 245/40 tire for one Lap if I go coilovers because they’ll fit. I’ve got a friend with scales so before I do ANYTHING I’m weighing this thing. I would be happy in the 2900lb range if it could. But we’ll see. 

I guess that means I need to start looking for a co-driver for next year soon. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/19 8:20 a.m.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/19 8:25 a.m.

Those are really nice looking cars. Rock on.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/10/19 8:48 a.m.

245 40 is a bit wide for an 8 inch wide wheel.  A 9 or even a 10 would be optimal.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/19 8:56 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I’ll have to do some research in the old boards. I’m thinking that 8’s were about as wide as you could get under the fenders without rubbing. I’ve got 255’s on 8.5’s now from the front of the truck. They fit pretty well. 

sleepyhead
2/10/19 9:47 a.m.

you could always "stampie rule" maschinbau's wheels/tires from last year?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/2000-challenge/2019-gastropods-come-join-us/143978/page20/

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/19 9:52 a.m.

The tires are good for the challenge. They’re date coded 2017 and have almost 8/32 in the stock 215/45 size. Post challenge is when I’ll start stuffing the most under the wheel wells. I’d love to try a 17x9 but I don’t want to buy a set. I’ll need to build myself a tire/wheel measuring system for this thing n

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
2/10/19 9:53 a.m.

This looks like a great car to start with!

mazdeuce - Seth
2/10/19 4:17 p.m.

Or........I could save my RS4's in 225/45 17 before I cord them and I bet you could get a half dozen AX runs at the Challenge. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/10/19 4:26 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

That would knock me out of the ‘pods classing by doing that. Or we just talking for fun? 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/10/19 4:27 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Oh yea, Gastropods,  I forgot about that. laugh

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/10/19 7:49 p.m.
bobzilla said:

This with kinksbumpsbruises is way good looking....great score!!!.....V6, what's hp on this?

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/11/19 7:36 a.m.

Bob, pm me and i can send you some Energy Suspension bushings(19mm for sure for the rear bar) and i also have 23mm front bushings(if they will fit the Tiburon front?) from Energy Suspension we wont be using on the Elantra XD.

On another note, if you plan on keeping the stock airbox, there is a Spectre Performance air filter for $20 on amazon. We bought it for our Elantra and its world better construction than a K&N.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-HPR9392-Air-Filter/dp/B009DIW6N4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549892009&sr=8-4&keywords=Tiburon+performance

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 7:38 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

If'n I remember correctly they were 170hp/16xtq. Interwebs show these in the 2900-3000lb range but I seem to remember those were always very optimistic numbers. As for power, looks like these engines did well with the normal stuff. I/H/E put them in the 170whp/170tq, adding a larger or ported T/B and intake pushed them upwards of 180-ish. I'd be happy with 170 squared and get the weight down to 2800 or so. That would put it in the same ballpark as the Forte but with a better clutch. 

The fog lights are completely clouded over and leaking. So I think I'll likely remove those and connect some brake ducting to them. Seems like the easy button answer. Weight reduction plus brake cooling. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 7:42 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

I'm not allowed anything on this yet.... and I figured an ebay CAI is $40 hard to screw that up. Since this car has the 19mm rear, that SHOULD mean it's got the 27mm front.I'll have to check that when I get to start working on it.  I'm considering one of the whiteline adjustable 22mm rears for this. they're still expensive compared to the rest of the parts ($140 is "expensive" lol) but I think it'll be worth it. 

What made me happy, and this is stupid for what I intend with this thing, was the factory stereo still works and it has the factory Infinity sub in the hatch and it still thumps(ish, they were never that hard hitting). That is staying even if I yank every other thing out. I need my tunes!

Also.... Sunroof removal. What are my options? I think this could be a great source of weight loss.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/11/19 7:53 a.m.

Can you source a non-sunroof headliner? There is a lot of stuff on the internet about patching sunroof holes, but one of the great advantages to removing all of that is getting headroom back. To do that with a car you want to drive 5k miles around the country in 15 months I'd keep my eyes open for a regular headliner that you can fit. 

I'd be looking at making a carbon blank off of the factory glass and RTVing it into place, but mostly because it would be super pimp. 

sleepyhead
2/11/19 8:09 a.m.

That’s what they’ve done with TL’s, but the first one they didn’t rtv it... they cut the lip so it squeezed into the pen sunroof gasket which held it there for “highway” work... ~90mph

ymmv

i reckon plywood could do the job and be as sound isolating... and be a place to do some “highlight” art instead of putting a “blah” one headliner in... would probably have better headroom too?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/11/19 8:16 a.m.

for future reference: 17x8 +40 245/40 fit no rub on Tein drop springs/stock struts. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/11/19 8:59 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Plywood is for splitters. 

1 2 3 ... 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ugea0C3BVfjbwUBVxonx5OUBBYP5ZrJLEHwyPUJZvOy5NPhyXH32WerawEyBd8ci