1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/16 12:39 a.m.

The front already has the largest factory sway bar, the rear has nothing but the 8.8 has the mounts on it, so I may be able to swap an Explorer one on.

600 may be a huge jump, but I was coming up with the same number.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
4/20/16 9:05 a.m.

Worked on a friends 69 mach1 back in the early 80's. It was built for road racing at the time and it ran 900lb front springs with the rear leafs being from a F250 camper special. can't remember what the front swaybar was from just that it was bigger than I'd ever seen before. It also had adjustment holes on the end to stiffen or soften the action if needed. The rear was from the same f250 the springs came from. When we drove it on the street it was actually not to bad a ride. Not as jarring as you would think. All I remember was that it was flat when you cornered it and it was a bear to drive on the street but was a blast at S.I.R when we ran it on open days back when you could do those things.

I'm guessing you're going with a livable ride for the street as well as a firmer on for the cones. Any chance of being able to get a set of koni shocks?

www.sriperformance.com Try these guys they have used springs and modular swaybars for cheap. They get most of there stuff from Joe Gibbs racing. Used to have another place that I used years ago but they went under with the big dive in 08. To bad as they really had some great pricing on there stuff.

The hard part is figuring out what you like and can use for what you are doing. I know how to make my cars handle and work for me but that might not work for someone else. I'm just shooting out starting points that hopefully help you get to where you want to be.

Javelin
6/20/16 9:46 a.m.

So this happened:

That's 12,000 miles in 4 driving seasons, not bad for the "play" car. It also drilled home that I've done everything with this car that I've wanted to. I've taken it to a cruise, a car show with my daughter, drag racing where I won a few rounds, autocrossing where I won my class, and my dad, mom, and sister have all driven it (mom did a burnout and sister autocrossed it!). Basically I am rebuilding it because I'm bored. So I did this:

Which promptly happened, but part of the deal was I had to put the new headliner and carpet in. Suck.

I also coated the trunk with new splatter paint:

As for the headliner, well, this was lurking under it:

Ouch. Yes, the new owner knows. The new headliner is in already along with the package tray and back seat. Just have to finish the carpet and it's ready to deliver.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/21/16 11:02 a.m.

That's a surprise! What's next?

Javelin
6/26/16 10:34 p.m.

This is an absolute E36 M3 job to do that I never want to do again in my life. Turned out well enough.

The package tray is borked, but at least the seat is decent enough. Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric dye FTW.

That was also a complete E36 M3 job that I never want to do again. If I ever get a car that needs carpet again, it's getting a Mexican blanket floor. Again, it turned out okay. They short trimmed the toe area by a ton, but that's how the original carpet was.

All in all, not a bad place to be anymore. At least you won't get tetanus any more. The berking thing is quiet with the new tailpipes and some actual interior though, holy cow!

So this is it, this is how it looks the night before the big trade. It was a ton of fun and I'm totally going to own another AMC again one day. I'll keep in touch with the new owner and update on progress. He claims he's going to paint it!

Javelin
6/26/16 10:35 p.m.

Apologies, apparently I took these photos with a potato. I'll go try again!

Javelin
6/26/16 10:47 p.m.

Cleaned the grease off of the cell phone camera and tried again, but still pretty potato-ish.

Javelin
6/27/16 8:50 p.m.

The last shot under my ownership. She ran well and I washed it and topped off the gas.

New owner immediately put better wheels on. Bullitt replicas in 17x9 and 17x10.5. They look way better on the car!

So that's the end for now.

mic drop

oldpaint1
oldpaint1 New Reader
8/14/16 11:37 p.m.

So Sorry to see it gone....can't see some of the pics, but can tell it's been sold/swapped. I love these cars, and joined GRM just to follow its progress. Glad you had fun with it, and may it live on with the new owner!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DA1WPLPoNjMQxGAXYeArzgvVmNnsLeKQ4kcskVZrwENZrMGARFBBzBdBHRXfwVVz