1 2 3 4
Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/1/15 9:04 p.m.

I kind of think the risk of blowing it up is the same or greater with megasquirt because even though there are srt4 base tunes out there there also seem to be constant issues with overlooking little settings or having a software update mess all your crap up without you realizing it.

The tune on my van, as far as i know, came from FWD performance, was never dyno tuned, and has been run up to 22psi.

I can tell you for a fact that when i was in the process of diagnosing something, i swapped a stock 2.5 t1 computer in and the van started right up and ran. So even if you have one of those you could at least get the thing self propelled and then mail order a functional tune that won't blow it up.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/5/15 6:12 a.m.

So decisions were made....

Our national SDAC meet is going to be the weekend before Chryslers at Carlisle in Lancaster PA. Pitched the idea of going to both and spending the couple of days between each event in either Gettysburg or Philly. This lead to a discussion of how to get there. She was concerned that her car doesn't have another long trip in it, so I said we could take either the daytona or the van and I'd have to get either one fully operational first. She brought up which one would have more room and better seating position, so I'm going to stay the course I was previously on and not sideline the thing any longer.

TL;DR The wife said I should get it done before vacation in July, I ordered some parts off ebay.

This means sticking with the factory ECU. The reason I had initially decided on a MS3 was because I won't have the factory speed sensor. I had planned on using an Android tablet as my instrument cluster. Now, I was told I can easily disable any functions that require it in the ECU, but that also means no speedo. I have a creative solution for it, but I have to see how it pans out.

crewperson
crewperson New Reader
3/5/15 8:07 a.m.

You could use a GPS for a speedo, I seem to read it more than the actual instrument.

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
3/5/15 4:03 p.m.

I used a GPS receiver for signal to my speedo, takes a moment to sync sometimes, but works well enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-5289-Speedometer-Interface/dp/B0077A6B86/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425592968&sr=1-8&keywords=gps+speedometer

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
3/5/15 4:06 p.m.

Oh, and awesome project. Very cool!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/15 4:22 p.m.

We need some sort of project assistance line. I bet if we got a few hundred bucks together and a couple of days with a few of the guys on here we could help you get it done.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/5/15 4:22 p.m.

There are also gps powered speedometers. A bit more expensive iirc 150-350 but its a simple non cluttered solution

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/5/15 9:06 p.m.

If there's one thing you'll learn about me is that simple is often trumped by cheap. At least in the beginning I'll be using an old android phone that I rooted and installed a GPS speedo app on.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
3/11/15 2:56 p.m.

5 speed turbo mini van... such a sleeper! I would laugh if that pulled next to me then id try to pull away from it only to find out I cant pass it and that its passing me.. Then I would be sad... Very cool and looks like a ton of fun!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/14/15 11:28 a.m.

So you're buying a distributor adapter? The distributor itself needs mods as well but they are pretty simple. The wires on my van had been made by the original owner but when i got it one of them had been burned half through by the PO who didn't understand why it had ignition breakup in boost. < I ordered some of Rbryant's wires and terminal adapters and have been happy with that. I wanted to make them myself but i wasnt happy with scrounging chrysler-style cap terminals off old wires and the fact that they were too small to properly fit an 8mm-insulator universal wire set. I rigged something up with a used Honda wire while the new stuff was in the mail but even for me who can and will build plug wires i would recommend just buying Rbryant's.

It's too bad the factory ECU doesnt have two coil drivers or somebody would have already modified it to run a stock 2.0/2.4 coil.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/14/15 12:13 p.m.

I already have the adapter, modded dizzy, wire set with the MSD terminals from Rich. I ordered that early one thinking Id just be using the SMEC. I already have a chip from Rob to use as a baseline too.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
2/2/16 7:45 p.m.

About a year ago, I asked for a bump for great justice. I ask you again!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
2/2/16 9:57 p.m.

I refuse to call the project dead, and I refuse to sell it. Other than that its on the back burner for the near future. I had 3 cars break down between the last update and now. I hope to finish the last one within the next couple of weeks, after that if funds allow I can get back on it.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
2/3/16 3:42 p.m.

Yeah, I caught on to that in your other thread. I'm not far from you if you need a hand one of these weekends.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
2/3/16 10:00 p.m.

Yeah and the cutlass decided to disintegrate the tensioner and take the belt out with it yesterday.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bOio5aIxCNcSbl9Ba6cfd5mo32zuxeI8SmBoqbmBMU7rCGvdiICEgfBVWIhxg7Jg