Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/18 8:54 a.m.

I don't see any cutting yet.

I am dissapoint.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/18 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I am disappoint as well. It's too cold and I'm not heating the yard to work on it laugh

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/10/18 1:08 p.m.
QuasiMofo said:

In reply to Robbie :

I am disappoint as well. It's too cold and I'm not heating the yard to work on it laugh

Who gets cut first,the donor or the recipient? Take your time and try to figure out how the two will meet before you start cutting. One of the reasons I took the cars part by drilling out a million spotwelds was so that I could change my mind and re-attach a panel if I changed my mind. Came in handy a couple of times. E36 M3load of work though...

Pete

QuasiMofo
3/10/18 1:25 p.m.

Well, the Panhard will get some cutting first, but just a trim of the rusted floor so that I can put in the temporary structure bars and reinforce the rocker will area. But that's after the Subaru has it's major panels and seats removed and electronics secured.

tattooedwelder2018
tattooedwelder2018 New Reader
3/25/18 6:08 p.m.

Want to see some pictures of progress. Have you gone sawzall happy yet?

QuasiMofo
3/26/18 4:22 a.m.

Officially no progress worth photographing. I made an executive decision about the parts donor. I am looking at a new easier donor tonight that will make more horsepower, more torque, have a full frame and in general be a better fit between the rockers. 

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
3/26/18 6:42 a.m.

solid skinny steel wheels in a grey/black color.... and no flares....all I have for input

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/26/18 9:50 a.m.

So spill already on the new donor? I was pretty sold on the Subaru, so what went wrong? Your tape measure discover something or what?

The mention of a frame says really old donor or truck.

Pete

Robbie
3/26/18 10:37 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Or P71...

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/26/18 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I gotta agree with Pete. I doubt a P71 would fit the rockers better. It's also a wild mismatch in footprint. 

I must say, I'm deeply saddened by the news we probably won't see this thing spinning all four under power. 

Robbie
3/26/18 12:39 p.m.

I just can't think of a truck (or really old car for that matter) that makes more torque and hp than a suby and isn't as big or bigger than a p71.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/26/18 1:42 p.m.

2 door Blazer.

QuasiMofo
3/27/18 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Got damn give that boy a ceegar!

The 2wd 2door S Blazer has a wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface of 56/54.5 f/r and the Panhard wheel well is 63/60 f/r from inner points. I'm pretty certain a high positive offset 7" wheel will fit fine. The wheelbase are within .5" as well. 

I've had two deals fall through in three days on good donors. I'm booing to find a driveable one for $1000 or less. I missed out on a lowered 96 with a bad title today that was EXACTLY what I want. 

I'll keep looking though.

QuasiMofo
3/27/18 1:57 p.m.

Plus it lends nicely to an eventual LS swap. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/27/18 3:17 p.m.

A few months ago I had to try real hard not to buy a 2 door 4X4 5spd Blazer for $500. Trashed inside and out, but it allegedly ran and drove. 

SWMBO would have killed me if I drug another car home, especially since it would have just sat for a while being donor status and all. 

Nice thing about the 2 door ones is they have a more conventional rear mounted fuel tank instead of the bus shaped truck type tank under the driver's seat. Much better packaging for car swaps. 

I think you really need a 4x4 and swap in an Olds transfer case so you can still make it AWD! 

I'm sure there has to be some combination of parts that can still make that a 5 speed too!

QuasiMofo
3/27/18 7:21 p.m.

The problem with the 4wd is the overall width of the wheel flange to wheel flange on both axles. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/18 8:31 p.m.

How aboot shortbed s10 and just move rear spring hangers forward(and up to drop)?  I have that thing here still, with enough solid southern body parts to zero it.  The bed is likely worth more than i’d sell the truck to you for.  And because you’re a lovable shiny happy person i’ll throw you the 350 from the chevelle.  It probably needs a cam(i have a new one in the box) because it felt like it was starting to wipe the fuel pump pushrod lobe, or don’t bother and run an electric pump.  Complete with pulleys and E36 M3, distributor, alternator, 4bbl intake, a 600 edelbrock that needs cleaned.  That leaves you with make a floor and firewall out of some metal, building mounts to bolt to the s10 chassis while doing so.  I’ll even provide a radiator, some extra gauges, block hugger headers that might clear the s chassis, flexplate, starter.  Between that and a little wiring you need a transmission and a driveshaft  and you could be running.  

Tree fiddy(one dollar per cubic inch) can have that whole list including the s10.  You have to help me pull the 350 and bolt the 454 into the chevelle.  

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/27/18 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

It was about this time I realized that this cute little Panhard was actually about 8 stories tall and a crustacean from the Paleolithic era, and I said, "Damn you Loch Ness Monster, I ain't giving you no tree fiddy!"

QuasiMofo
3/28/18 2:44 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Let me consider this devil my only concern is if there is 7" to move the front spring mount forward without it acting like a lift kit?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/28/18 5:01 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo :

Shorten the frame?

QuasiMofo
3/28/18 6:55 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Then I get back into making more work than I can do with my available time, assets and skill set. 

Simplicity needs to enter the project. I would rather spend $1100 on a vehicle with all the right parts than $350 and 350 labor hours. 

Remember this is a family cruiser that is expected to be built on a Challenge budget but in reality it's still meant for the family to hop in and hit the gut with.

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/28/18 11:33 a.m.

I'm struggling with the concept of simplicity when you're discussing a body/frame change.

Bur good luck with it, i hope you succeed

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/28/18 11:43 a.m.

In reply to twentyover :

Don't be confused. IF the chassis is a good match, then these builds are dead easy.  Certainly easier than a drivetrain swap. You should theoretically be able to drive the new chassis under the body and drop the shell down. How well you clean up the scar where the two meet  becomes the biggest technical challenge.

Where I am confused is where the Subie fell out of contention. Was it really too wide such that there was no way to fit the rubber under the fenders?

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/28/18 1:09 p.m.

The bigger challenge with an S10 truck frame vs a Blazer frame is the truck frame has a longer shallower kick-up to go over the rear axle that can potentially interfere with the rear seats. 

Any and all measurements you could ever need/want are available in this PDF. 

If you look at the diagrams, you can see how the frame is shaped differently to accommodate rear passenger space. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/28/18 1:12 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'm guessing the chassis was wider than the rockers on the Panhard could accommodate without copious amounts of fabrication. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
npDYQwTS6KinRPziqrMdDrX56k5C2yPt48aAvFXhoWlLBqxUMkS7kEZ70eirQ1eO