1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/9/21 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Are there plans in the works to get it even lower?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/21 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Right now we're at diminishing returns. The rear suspension is about 4 inches off the ground as is the pan up front. To go lower I'd have to cut springs in the rear and I think change torsen bar up front. 

Now for some bad news. I broke out the nitrous kit and set it up to test. 

First I discover the relay is bad but nbd as I can just run it off the horn circuit as planned anyway. Then I bypass the relay and hear clicks so happy dance until I feel each solenoid and discover that the fuel one isn't making happy clicks. I kinda remember having another kit somewhere but might not be running nitrous at the Challenge. 

Stampie
10/9/21 3:51 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

If I'd known you were going to turn this into a championship race car, I might have used something more precise than a plasma cutter to drill that snorkel hole in the fender. 

I didn't mind the plasma cutter hole but did you have to make it press fit with the PVC?  Snorkel gone. 

Before that I started working on the carb. This fitting just fell off the old carb. Pretty sure that means vacuum leak. 

Out with the old and in with the new.

I hit Ace Hardware up for some nuts and bolts to hook up the throttle and TV cables. Throttle cable looks pretty simple but I need to make this:

Look like this for the TV cable.

Adapter plate installed.

Looks like we'll have to remove some weight to get the throttle to move.

The throttle/TV bracket will need some work also. 

And about then I found myself starting to make stupid decisions so I called it a day.

Stampie
10/10/21 5:11 p.m.

I ordered a 2 inch spacer because I realized that's the easy button to get the carb to fit. Here's a better picture showing the interference. It hits top and bottom. 

This evening's project was swapping the distributor. This will complete the de computer controlled carb and timing. First I took pictures of the old to make sure I could get the new in the sameish timing.

Then pulled the old one. It reaffirmed my belief that all true GM V8s have the distributor in the front. Here's the old and the new. 

Lil Stampie gave me some E36 M3 about the polished housing but he did say we should use the red cap because "red is faster".  New one in.

Cap on and in somewhat the same timing.

Wires attached and ready to go. The clip holding the wires made me feel like I was cheating. 

Figuring it never hurts to have spare parts I threw the old in the trunk. Found where the PO had put the previous previous cap in the also. With it was another HEI module. Of the three total we have not a single one is OEM GM. Oh well just has to last a few miles. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/10/21 9:26 p.m.

I don't know why, but it never occurred to me that the engine would be in a north-south orientation.

I just ran 12v through my fuel solonoid. It no go clicky either.

How about we do a pass on the motor to get a time slip recorded, then jet up the carb and run a 50 or 75 dry shot? What's the worst that could happen (and probably will)? Are you planning to have this still run after Friday night? Have speed holes in the block been absolutely ruled out?

Stampie
10/11/21 5:51 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I'd prefer to send it to a new home with it still able to self motivate.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/21 9:13 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I just ran 12v through my fuel solonoid. It no go clicky either.

n2o n00b question/suggestion: are your nitrous and fuel solenoids interchangeable? Mine appear identical aside from the color and label.
If they are actually the same, and Doc's n2o solenoid tests good, could it replace Stampie's bad fuel solenoid? 

Stampie
10/11/21 9:30 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

They look different and are labeled for each. I assume they're different because of fluid vs gas. I have a purge solenoid that I think works. I'll phone a friend if I get time this afternoon.

Stampie
10/12/21 5:27 p.m.

Yesterday we worked on a project that we didn't get far in so that'll come later.

Today the FedEx dude dropped off a box. 

What's that inside?  Why it's Rivera racing shocks.

Lil Stampie wanted to do the first one. That usually means I get frustrated at how slow he's going and then jump in to do stuff. 

Here's the before me jumping in.

It wasn't too bad. Hardest thing was finding 18mm sockets. I swear I have like four 10mm sockets but searched hard to find two 18mm ones.

First one done.

At this point Lil Stampie was hungry so next one will get put on tomorrow. 

10/12/21 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

This is an excellent development! 

Stampie
10/13/21 4:30 p.m.

Only took us two days but now we have matching rear shocks. 

Stampie
10/15/21 1:21 p.m.

Well we're under a week to go guess we should get the car running.

Got the carb sitting in place with the 2 inch spacer. 

Just barely enough clearance for the throttle and TV cables. 

Modified the bracket for them to fit.

Felt all good about myself. Just needed some fuel and vacuum lines so I went to close the hood and E36 M3 it won't close with the air cleaner on. Came up with several options.

1) Run no air cleaner.

2) Run no hood.

3) Run with hood sitting on safety latch only.

4) Realize I'm hungry and needed to think clearly.

Went to lunch, picked up a vacuum check valve because our brake check valve wasn't checking.  Then decided to order a 1 inch spacer and hope that gives us enough room.  Hopefully it's here in time. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/21 2:16 p.m.

Egr delete plate 

Stampie
10/15/21 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah yeah I know but I'm semi trying to leave this so it can revert back to stock after the Challenge. I might keep the carb for the Model A. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/15/21 2:25 p.m.

EGR delete epoxy.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/21 2:28 p.m.

berkeley the egr valve drill some holes in a chunk of something, silicone it, and bolt it on.  It's probably non functional anyway

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/15/21 2:32 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

berkeley the egr valve drill some holes in a chunk of something, silicone it, and bolt it on.  It's probably non functional anyway

Almost verbatim what i texted him

Great minds think alike!

Stampie
10/15/21 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard and Patrick :

This is my 85 Buick Riviera. When y'all get your own you can do with it whatever you want. 

Stampie
10/15/21 4:41 p.m.

No more bog.

Yes I added a throttle return spring right after that. 

Stampie
10/15/21 6:07 p.m.

Loaded up for a road trip tomorrow. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/21 6:35 p.m.

Is this shot happening this weekend?  Should I be on the road right now to hang with y all?  

If so, I need a room to snore in.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/15/21 6:38 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Challenge is next weekend. You'll want to be there the Thursday afternoon/evening, then friday and Saturday. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/21 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The malaise is real. 

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/16/21 6:39 a.m.

were on the road now!

10/16/21 7:10 a.m.

The landing pad is ready (out of respect for my neighbors, I used a broom and not the leaf blower).

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FrVeBcmZ3jPVFnwcFRzws5hKv3t6j6BVKtcEOr58mPDDJelhkFpRiHf5glYwMVMP