1 2 3 4 ... 54
Crackers
Crackers Reader
10/31/16 11:54 a.m.
jfryjfry wrote: Last thought is most appealing - widen the fenders!! Everything looks good with larger fenders

Or split the hood/cab down the middle and widen the whole thing.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/31/16 2:42 p.m.

Another vote for keep the suspension stock and widen the fenders, makes everything easier.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/31/16 5:32 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Another vote for keep the suspension stock and widen the fenders, makes everything easier.

You would need to go to some kind of pushrods for the springs.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
10/31/16 7:18 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: Another vote for keep the suspension stock and widen the fenders, makes everything easier.
You would need to go to some kind of pushrods for the springs.

There's actually a ton of room in the front suspension of the SC300. One could fit a short coilover in there if you were ok with limiting suspension travel. It would be too short for a DD, but acceptable for track use.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/31/16 7:19 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Hard to tell from the pics, maybe a small coilover would fit through the UCA?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/1/16 6:17 a.m.

Need to see the head on view of this picture

Wondering how much of this is figured out already versus "making this E36 M3 up as I go?"

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
11/1/16 6:30 a.m.

I'm a fan.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
11/1/16 9:18 a.m.

Awesome. I'll assume you know about this Cosworth powered Model A. (Psst. The cool kids call it an "A" Model.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSGSL3Nrmc

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/4/16 6:48 a.m.

"How To Make the Drift Tax Work For You!" Part II of SC300 part-out

Both doors and front fenders: $120 on craiglist

Steering column controls / turn signal unit: $20 on craiglist from the same seller

Heater control valve: $31.65 on eBay + shipping

The SC300 is looking more and more like an empty shell and the budget is looking more and more turbo-friendly

I also started playing around with drivetrain and body fitment. I put the engine and trans on jackstands with the lowest part (oil pan) 4" off the ground. Then I trimmed a hole in the firewall for the trans bellhousing and slid the whole cab over it. This was my first time cutting original Henry Ford steel and I feel a bit unworthy. I'm just a 20-something year old kid with an angle grinder, what do I know? I guess the original hot rodders were once in my shoes too.

This DOHC straight six sure is longer and taller than most V8s. I might have to cut up the firewall and raise the body height to make everything fit under the hood and behind the grill shell. The shifter is in an acceptable place, though I might switch out the linkage to a MKII Supra unit to bring it a few inches forward.

My fiancee thinks I'm crazy. I'm a lucky man.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
11/4/16 7:52 a.m.

Wait, that fits perfect! Get some tubes and put the radiator in the bed.

And, just use the stock subframes. Some lovelely 2x3 tubing and bracing will make it fit wonderfully.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/4/16 9:01 a.m.

how did I not see this before? I love it.

put me in the "use the stock subframes to get it running and driving first, then improve on that if you want" camp. You might even be able to cut out some of the stock sc300 floorpan to keep the strut towers mounted in the correct locations and stuff. Just add a little bracing where needed.

I had a very similar plan for my BMW v12 7 series challenge car back before I sold it.

Can't even say how happy I am that you are doing this.

Robbie
11/4/16 9:04 a.m.

p.s. stock saab gt25 and gt17 turbos (from the non-aero 9-3s 99-03) are DIRT cheap because everyone swaps to the bigger td04s - even the td04s only fetch $125 or so used. You could likely keep those manifolds and run twins...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/4/16 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Robbie you are a mind-reader about the Saab turbos! I was actually looking at 94-98 T25's for purely aesthetic reasons. The turbine outlet is a nice circular flange compared to the odd potato-shaped gt25/gt17. Even with twin T25s, it will probably just blow hot air past 10 psi at high speed, but that should be plenty and I'm more interested in response.

java230
java230 Dork
11/4/16 9:21 a.m.

That fits lovely. Cant wait to see more!

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/4/16 9:44 a.m.

I can't decide if this build is horrifying or brilliant and wonderful. Either way I can't stop watching the progress.

Robbie
11/4/16 9:51 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

I may have an IC or two for you cheap in you are interested. Let me know.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/4/16 10:03 a.m.

Little too Rat for my Rod, but it proves something.

I would turn the negative of being too tall into a positive by taking a fiberglass splash of the hood, and carving an opening so as to showcase the power-plant below. Just peek the valve cover and turbo hump up through the top. Maybe also make it longer so as to extend the wheelbase and have room for a rad.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/16 10:26 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME: That is everything I don't want this to be. I just want a cool little hot rod with a bit of patina and a modern engine in vintage garb.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
11/4/16 10:40 a.m.

Wait....you have this great project and an understanding fiance?

You, young grasshopper, are an amazing young man.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
11/4/16 11:45 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I'd rock that E36 M3 to be sure! Granted, if it were something I'd own I'd want something a little more practical. (read: can be driven in the rain)

Also, I don't think I could drive more than a couple miles from home in any direction before high centering, but I digress.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/4/16 12:06 p.m.
Crackers wrote: In reply to NOHOME: I'd rock that E36 M3 to be sure! Granted, if it were something I'd own I'd want something a little more practical. (read: can be driven in the rain) Also, I don't think I could drive more than a couple miles from home in any direction before high centering, but I digress.

Hey no worries, that thing is on airbags and just lowered for the pic. I myself have no desire to own or drive a Rat Rod of that caliber. I don't need shine, but ergonomics are important to me.

Roadkill did a great show where they took a Lambo of some flavour out and a Rat Rod so they could compare the shock and awe value of the two. The rat rod was like wearing a rat trap. NO THANKS

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/16 1:37 p.m.

"How To Make The Drift Tax Work For YOU" Part III: This E36 M3 is getting ridiculous Guys. I have a problem. A money problem. No, not the type where you need more of it, but the type where you have too much of it that used to be in the form of car parts and is burning a hole in your pocket trying to return to car part form. The SC300 is parting out too easily. I just can't keep track of all the suitors. Before I quit my day job and start dragging rust-free Lexuses (Lexi?) up to the salt belt, let me summarize the last 2 days since the previous update:

Craigslist Buyer #3 and his son stopped by yesterday. He has a '98 in the body shop which had "a tree or something" fall on it, so most of his body panels are bad. Then it rained on the wreckage so most of the rear electronics and interior are trashed. He went home with:

- Hood and hinges

- Deck lid

- Driver and passenger seats

- Rear seat

- Rear quarter window trim

- Rear speakers and trim thingy

- Stereo amplifier

- $240 out the door

Craigslist Buyer #4 came by today. He has an R154 swapped SC that he plans to track. He went home with:

- Both side skirts

- Trunk hinge shock/strut thingamabobs

- Cruise control motor gizmo

- $100 Combined with the previously mentioned eBay sales and Buyers #1 and #2 from earlier this week, my Challenge budget is now $1,378.93. That includes the Model A body parts, Lexus engine, trans, front subframe, Ford 8.8 rear axle, and what's left of the SC300 shell. Which I still have a clean title for. And a few boxes of parts still sitting on eBay.

GRM, please help me before I blow it all on Megasquirt, turbos, and steel. Or, don't.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
11/6/16 4:45 p.m.

Nah we're going to watch what happens. Like when your toddler is about to something that you know will hurt but not badly enough to go to the hospital.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
11/6/16 9:20 p.m.

I'll go make some popcorn so I can sit back and watch this one.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
11/6/16 9:25 p.m.

Buy the steel first, that way you have a chance of making it roll before it languishes in project purgatory.

1 2 3 4 ... 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5vx3pkyhwAK2drKAixMAUmOZu6HmVVkgMsGtxILMPDACMPRAAC4FJApCWXVuF5SD