Killer!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/9/20 6:46 p.m.

Looking forward to the journey ahead. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/9/20 6:50 p.m.

So excited to see this reach the steps required for a final paint color.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/9/20 6:51 p.m.

I dig it!  Looking forward to seeing it pretty and turquoise.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/9/20 7:55 p.m.

Love the color choice.  Keep going Dozens of people on the internet depend on your updates.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/20 8:05 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Right back at you! 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/9/20 8:12 p.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

Oh. Hell. Yes.

java230
java230 UberDork
8/9/20 8:28 p.m.

Oh God. Welcome to the filler hell hole. 

Bbbbuuuuuttt can't wait to see it! 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
8/9/20 10:23 p.m.

That is a beautiful color and should look awesome on the car.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/9/20 10:36 p.m.

1958 was a very good year for turquoise. I used a '58 Studebaker turquoise on my Lotus Elan.  It is eye catching in traffic without being red /yellow/orange, which is a very real consideration with a really tiny car.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/10/20 8:23 a.m.

Amazing color choice. Please continue. 

8/24/20 10:10 a.m.

2 weeks of what I've started to call "rust busting" - cutting out rust, drilling out rivets/bolts, hitting every surface and crevice with the cup brush, and general angle grinder dirty work. I haven't even touched the welder yet. The headlight housings and the radiator shroud are in pretty good shape, not much to do there except patch the hole on top where the radiator cap won't be anymore.

The bedsides and tailgate really need work. They have been "repaired" over the years, with thicker gage sheetmetal welded and/or soldered to them. I split the thick stuff off the bed sides, leaving behind an ugly lumpy crease where the top of the bed sides fold outward. I have been hammering them back to straight as a break from the grinder / stress relief from work. I figure every hit of the hammer saves a few minutes of sanding. It's also kinda fun. I also have no idea what to do about the fender mounting flange. It might need to move upward due to the Low.

The tail gate and lower bed were worse. Lots more hammering of dents required. The tailgate hinge brackets will need to be remade entirely.

The lower beam was full of original wood, which of course is rotted and holding moisture, causing the whole piece to rust out. I will also re-make this piece and weld it back in.

Anyway, this E36 M3 sucks and thought I'd share it with you. And no, I haven't even opened the doors yet. Or even the can of bondo. Ugh. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/24/20 11:38 a.m.

Oh the joys of old stuff.  You'll get there - you have come so far already.

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
8/24/20 3:24 p.m.

Well hey, at least we're not at OMG holy hell levels of lake-quantity sweat-producing humidity in Georgia right now . . .

Oh, wait, nevermind.  At least everything's not on fire . . .

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/24/20 3:41 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Do yourself a favour and buy the good Rage Gold. So much nicer to work with than generic. Spreads easier and fewer pinholes and sands well.

java230
java230 UberDork
8/24/20 3:56 p.m.

Ill second the rage gold. I still had plenty of pin holes, but I have no idea waht I am doing. 

9/7/20 1:40 p.m.

Enter the "trunk bed". The floor of the truck bed is also the trunk lid. Not sure how else to explain it.

Still a lot of details to sort out. In no particular order: tailgate hinges, alignment and straightening of bedsides, joint between bedsides and trunk, gap between bedsides and fenders, truck bed wood stain, do I want bedliner or paint, etc. There is entirely too much labor in these three parts, and I still have a long way to go.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/7/20 3:09 p.m.

Looks great with the bed on. I like the "trunk"

I really dig the trunk. 

RobDelia
RobDelia New Reader
9/10/20 9:31 a.m.

Something says "mini stake bed" to me.

9/12/20 6:01 p.m.

Had to make forward progress without touching the grinder for once. So I painted the windshield frame and installed the glass. The seal is some kind of sticky tar strip. The instructions say to wipe motor oil all over and it will swell up overnight to fill voids. We'll see about that. All I know is it makes a big sticky mess. Then I can trim the excess. Lots of frustration with the gasket slipping and catching on the frame edges, but I eventually got it. 

Because my windshield opens for ventilation, there is another gasket between frame and body not installed yet. Also here's the rear window. It just gets a strip of u-channel trim, and only has a trim piece that sandwiches it to the body. 

9/20/20 2:43 p.m.

Back to sheetmetal progress. I figured out how to tie in the bedsides to the trunk. Something about round pegs and square holes...

This joint helps with installing the bedsides. A lot easier to line up the carriage bolt holes in the frame. But it looks incomplete.

Keeping the white frame clean is already driving me nuts, especially since I store it outside.

9/25/20 5:36 p.m.

I think bed sides are done with metal work. I think truck bed and tailgate are done with metal work. One last part to patch up before a big batch of primer and bondo town. I'm still pretending doors don't exist.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/25/20 6:00 p.m.

Nice patch

1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9tyHgSw62uGrekeih3VU5a3YkVtCpXtHnyxgnTZlzdKdh4dtsKzeRdYmgxP32q3i