1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 54
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/28/21 6:15 p.m.

Nevermind, that coolant temp fitting worked. Apparently the temp sender and coolant low-level switch are different threads. M16 vs M12 or something, even though they are right next to each other on the head and look identical from outside.

maschinenbau
11/29/21 2:53 p.m.

I haven't driven or done much to the hot rod in a while. Mostly been focused on the Lotus, then moving houses, now setting up my garage all over again. I took it to a cars and coffee back in...September? I still haven't set up most of the gauges, and it doesn't seem to run quite right. Low idle (inop IACV), hesitation, seems very down on power honestly. If you recall, I'm running a stock automatic ECU. The harness was hacked up before I got it to facilitate the manual swap, and even more so now (though somewhat tidy). It's possible a sensor or two got lost in translation, and I just need to troubleshoot. 

So instead I bought a Microsquirt standalone ECU and harness. It's cyber Monday after all, and DIYAutoTune is local to me. I may not touch it for a few months, but figured I'm going to use it eventually so might as well.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/21 3:15 p.m.

wait is there a deal on the microsquirt?

maschinenbau
11/29/21 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

10% off everything til tomorrow

maschinenbau
5/1/22 10:24 a.m.

I took the hot rod out a few times recently. It's been trapped in the garage behind the Lotus project all winter, which is a convenient excuse for my lack of confidence in driving it. I really need to spend a few weeks sorting out all the little issues, like no hand brake, gauges still not wired, awkward pedals, exhaust hitting the frame, constant bottoming-out, lack of turbocharger, etc. But this thing breaks necks on the road! People really seem to love it.

Here it is with a Delica. I didn't know these were so huge, longitudinal RWD, and 4G64 powered! Just a cool pair of 'JDM' rigs.

maschinenbau
5/15/22 6:07 p.m.

I did the car show thing today, and even came home with hardware!

I didn't know this still counted as a "rat rod" but I'm not complaining. Also found this perfect restoration of a '30 pickup. With a keen eye you may spot the differences.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/15/22 6:15 p.m.

Well done sir!   

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/22 7:49 p.m.

Golly, that header has turned some gorgeous colors!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/15/22 7:51 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I took the hot rod out a few times recently. It's been trapped in the garage behind the Lotus project all winter, which is a convenient excuse for my lack of confidence in driving it. I really need to spend a few weeks sorting out all the little issues, like no hand brake, gauges still not wired, awkward pedals, exhaust hitting the frame, constant bottoming-out, lack of turbocharger, etc. But this thing breaks necks on the road! People really seem to love it.

Here it is with a Delica. I didn't know these were so huge, longitudinal RWD, and 4G64 powered! Just a cool pair of 'JDM' rigs.

This is the real hump for any project car. If at the "End" of the project you walk past it 10 times to take a different vehicle on the journey, then  it is not "done".

What I have learned is that the difference between an awesome show car that you drive to shows  and get envious comments from, and one that you WANT to drive every day his huge. 

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
5/16/22 4:44 a.m.

How on earth is that a Rat Rod?

Did they mix the 'Rat Rod' with the 'Best in Show' trophies?

maschinenbau
5/16/22 8:32 a.m.

NOHOME said:

This is the real hump for any project car. If at the "End" of the project you walk past it 10 times to take a different vehicle on the journey, then  it is not "done".

What I have learned is that the difference between an awesome show car that you drive to shows  and get envious comments from, and one that you WANT to drive every day his huge. 

Big truth right here. I'm seriously contemplating a long break from the Europa so I don't lose another year being too unsatisfied with this car. But I'm also afraid of having two non-movers in my limited shop space. And of course there's the GRM Europa curse of perpetual unfishedness... got some soul-searching to do.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/16/22 12:27 p.m.

As someone who has been "cursed" by that, give yourself some freedom.  You have accomplished 10X what all the previous owners of the Europa COMBINED ever dreamed of.

This should be a joy, not a stress.  Give yourself the freedom to take a break from the Europa.  It will get finished.  It won't matter if it's grand entrance at the event is a year later.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
5/16/22 9:12 p.m.

I thing you have triggered a seismic change in the "Rat Rod" genre with that trophy.

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
5/16/22 10:56 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Can you tweak some stuff on the rat rod without immobilizing it? I've come to find that having multiple non-mover projects is pretty demoralizing so I try to keep that to a max of 1. Maybe shuffle some stuff around so you're more inclined to drive it more often and want to improve it? Also this hobby is still supposed to fun, easy to forget that when you're grinding to get ambitious goals done. Always okay to cut yourself some slack and stop working on something after a big push.

Course if its an extra hand you need I'm always down to come hang!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/22 1:40 p.m.

Yes, I think I can take smaller bites out of this. Starting with suspension. I made poor coilover choices back when the budget and my suspension knowledge were both smaller. After lots of careful measurement and calculating, I arrived at these single-adjustable actually-for-cars-not-wrecked-sport-bike coilovers. Should double my suspension travel front and rear, and reduce binding. 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
6/8/22 3:54 p.m.

Good move!  I'm liking the QA1s I recently put on my Falcon.  Nice shocks are never the wrong idea.

maschinenbau
7/3/22 3:26 p.m.

No progress made yet but I went to a cars and coffee today. I just love how this thing sits!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/4/22 3:38 p.m.

i'm at the same stage with the galaxie. i'm several fine tweeks away from just loving it. just need to find the motivation to slay the last few demons and it will be what i want to drive all the time 

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
7/4/22 3:53 p.m.

My question is how good of gas mileage do you get with such a light car? 

maschinenbau
7/5/22 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Gambit :

Speedo/odometer and fuel gauge are some of those tweaks that need tweaking, so I have no idea! 

maschinenbau
7/7/22 10:36 a.m.
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/7/22 11:39 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Grabs popcorn..  patiently waits for superchaer hot rod shenanigans.

maschinenbau
8/1/22 8:55 a.m.

Here are some more pretty pictures from last weekend

I started looking at the coilover swap. I got this far and realized if I make a cut, the car becomes inop. I will try to fab as much as I can first before cutting into the frame. The lower mount is removable, but the upper mount will need some in-situ modification.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
8/1/22 9:02 a.m.

Can an old school blower be made to fit this?  It would fit the aesthetic.

maschinenbau
8/1/22 12:46 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Anything is possible with enough fabrication. Might as well be the theme of this build!

1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DXbo8Y7cJEWyVDK0IcePQJxZkoXGAAdlSauhbhkxUjUs5vmOhKtkfjgDvoEU1AKZ