1 ... 52 53 54
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/20/23 9:31 a.m.

Hell yeah. Is the eighth mile in Dallas GA still open?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/20/23 12:44 p.m.

Very nice! Little frustrations can really kill a project if you don't get them.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/20/23 2:01 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Hell yeah. Is the eighth mile in Dallas GA still open?

Not sure, this one is in Calhoun - Paradise drag strip. You should meet us there Dec 2nd. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/23 1:19 p.m.

Center console

I also fixed the sloppy shifter. It had a rubber bushing that was worn out, so I removed the rubber and welded it solid. Much easier to find reverse now.

While adding the console mounting tabs, I repositioned the parking brake cable bracket so I have more adjustment range.

Console lid is off a GMC Envoy. The cupholder is a generic marine part. No more using a shoe on the floor as a cupholder on the way to cars and coffee.

Weird car has weird siblings.

With the colder weather the engine has started pinging really bad at anything beyond cruising load, so I have to revisit the tune. I currently have EGO turned off and mid-20 degrees of timing in the problem area. May try reducing timing and playing with EGO control. Really I just need to pay a real tuner to do this right before I mess something up.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/23 3:36 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

IDK exactly what that engine wants, but generally speaking i wouldn't consider mid-20s BTDC a whole lot of advance.  maybe you're just running lean because colder air = denser air = needs more fuel?

maschinenbau
12/12/23 3:39 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I agree and thought my initial timing was conservative. Possible it's due to the cold, but I thought the IAT sensor would account for density. Maybe I should check that sensor cal...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/23 3:43 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

even with sensors in range, fueling could be off because you've changed airflow on the inlet and the exhaust side.

maschinenbau
12/12/23 4:42 p.m.

Hmm. I pulled timing across the board, updated the sensor cals, turned EGO on, and did some more thorough autotune pulls. The fuel map definitely needed some more adjustments and I was able to do longer, more sustained pulls this time. Seems fine, no pinging, so I added the timing back. Still seems fine and runs fantastic. I guess I just need to keep putting more miles on it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/12/23 5:07 p.m.

Crappy gas?  Old gas?  Been sitting for a while?

maschinenbau
12/12/23 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It does often sit a while, and it was low on gas...

I might pull some plugs so you all can read them to me.

maschinenbau
12/18/23 9:02 p.m.

Turns out I had both fuel and spark issues. The fuel pressure regulator was randomly sticking open, causing pressure not to rise with manifold pressure, and therefore run lean. I took it apart and cleaned out some debris, and it hasn't come back yet.

The spark issue we found on the dyno. Yep, today was dyno day! I knew going into this my final number would probably start with a 1, but my main goals were driveability and response, and therefore more enjoyment of this car. DBW Motorsports in Atlanta did a great job with the scrappy Microsquirt ECU and made it run better than I ever could. They went above and beyond to diagnose a spark breakup issue, which turned out to be at least one bad coilpack (remember the used 370Z parts I bought?) One pack was replaced but another is suspect, so we stayed below 6500 RPM. While it might make over 200 whp revving to my intended 7200 RPM, I am happy to settle with a healthy and driveable 190 whp. A full new set of coils should ultimately fix the issue but it runs and drives so much better now and I am very happy with it.

Dyno day video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5wcRCHrZkk

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/4/24 8:50 a.m.

This thing is so wild in person. Love it.

maschinenbau
3/30/24 3:05 p.m.

Just been taking it to shows as often as I can. The tune has been performing perfectly. Money well spent.

Parked next to rustomatic's Falcon

And finally got to pose with my alma mater's mascot the Ramblin' Wreck, a 1930 Model A.

1 ... 52 53 54

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LfXNnQoIkHCNBTxjNkD66Z5PLqPWlq08Ocf6n00B5KZPq19W8SKPbyEljogiOPSn