1 2 3 4 ... 33
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/18 7:35 a.m.

Looking forward to being your crack dealer - check that - performance parts supplier for this build.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/13/18 7:52 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

After everything with insurance is worked out, I decided from keeping the truck or not, and the snow melt I'll have to bring your dad's new wood lathe up there and work out some negotiations

tedroach
tedroach Reader
2/13/18 7:55 a.m.

Sorry to hear about the migraines. I hope the lawyer is able to help you get this settled. I think this truck will look awesome as a fleetside. Are you planning to paint this one black?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/13/18 7:59 a.m.

In reply to tedroach :

Every truck I've owned since I graduated college has been black. If this one stays it will also be black. Nothing looks better than black on a vehicle

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
2/13/18 8:00 a.m.

I kinda dig the stepside just because I don't see many around, but a fleetside is definitely more useful for truck stuff. 

This fall I did a corvette servo in the 700r4 in my truck and it really improved the transmissions character. The same can be done for the 4l60e; it's about a 30 minute job that doesn't spill much trans fluid and costs about $40 bucks. Possibly the best $40 I spent on the truck. I got mine here . 

I'll be watching this one to see how it turns out. Sucks about the Elco but hopefully this eases the pain some. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
2/13/18 9:43 a.m.

Yup it has 2 inch lowering springs up front and 2 inch drop spindles.  In the back it has a c notch and a flip kit.  The kit came with new no name drop shocks.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/13/18 9:49 a.m.

Awesome.  Never had a truck that low.

And i need to look at the servo mod. Never played with automatic transmissions beyond fluid and filter other than to replace broken ones. Anything other than service, and possibly a servo/stop leaks/cooler?

With it being an electronic trans does that mean that there is a grm method for Flappy paddles?

Patrick
2/13/18 9:56 a.m.

I knew a guy back in 01-02 that built his own flappy paddle box for a 4t60e in a grand prix.  I’d assume it’s probably easy with some pea sized microprocessor now.  

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
2/13/18 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I also never have fussed about with trannys much, it was super easy. Literally a huge ring clip/circlip and you pry it out with a screwdriver and a plyers and it's done. In my truck I didn't have to drop the trans, and I doubt you would on this rig either. I haven't heard of much else necessary for them at moderate to stock power levels.

Flappy paddles would be fun- where there's a will there's a way, I know people make kits to do it so I'm sure someone clever could figure out what's involved with making it happen.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/13/18 1:44 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Cool thanks for the details! (And hope you knew that wasn't a dig at all, I just remembered you saying you ruined it. Now I understand what you meant - I assumed it meant you permanently messed something up, not just made it less capable of doing truck things.)

The truck sure looks cool that low.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
2/14/18 8:51 a.m.

I must have missed the story....  what happened to the el Camino???

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/14/18 9:33 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry

got the driver's door pushed in roughly 14 in by girl that was texting and driving and T-boned me

Patrick
2/14/18 11:03 a.m.

Willing to take the camaro wheels in trade for stuff you need if you don’t plan to use them

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/14/18 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Definitely haven't gotten that far yet.

Any decision on what we talked about yesterday

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/14/18 12:51 p.m.

Dbd13, love this (while looking at my '91 ext cab 3/5drop 5.7l 5 spd fleetside).....any chance of getting the bullet out of dab2.0???

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/14/18 1:07 p.m.

The thought crossed my mind. However at Motors getting pretty tired in there. There's really no sense in it except as a rebuild candidate or spare parts. Neither of which I have the space for. When I go to build another El Camino I will have Patrick find me a 4.8 LS

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
2/14/18 2:11 p.m.

dibs on the old shortblock for rebuild fodder! No... seriously. I need one to start a motor build

Patrick
2/14/18 2:46 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

dibs on the old shortblock for rebuild fodder! No... seriously. I need one to start a motor build

Seriously have tried to give one away before.  It’s here if you want it, sitting on a pallet underneath a semi trailer.  Roller cam 350 tbi longblock with intake.  It had a hole in oil pan and got rod knock, I bought it as “runs great no noises” then spent the time putting it in my car and mysteriously the guy i bought it from changed his number and didn’t work at the shop he had me pick it up at anymore when i started it and heard knocking.  Cost is same as cubic inches - free fiddy.  Dad will load it with tractor.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/14/18 2:58 p.m.

This is true.  I've seen it. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/14/18 3:01 p.m.

In other news, tools, spares, and a light overnight bag are packed. Jeremy is doing a nut and bolt check for me tonight, and i have money burning a hole in my pocket. Is it Friday yet?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/14/18 3:07 p.m.

Also: is there any reason why I couldn't use cheap ebay airbags, homemade brackets, and some sort of compressor and tank for onboard air/load assistance? Anyone done this?

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/14/18 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I may have to take you up on it. Roller cam motor makes it easy to choose which way to go with the cam. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/14/18 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

I almost did. You should.  

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/14/18 3:33 p.m.

I put in a 1000lb coil helper spring on mine to adjust the ride height. My 40 year old springs ain't got much spring left. These bolt to the axle and fits in the c-notch around the bumpstop.

These be the ones

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/14/18 4:20 p.m.

I ran similar on the s10. It works, but I'm wanting to try something more..... elegant. 

1 2 3 4 ... 33

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MAgMxCrAW1y9DxJFhF0VvKfUsQv0TsDPqOpOPwkCPEe5M4wRazVjPK4TSVKFlnkf