1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/21 4:13 p.m.

Some very cool projects!

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
9/17/21 9:14 a.m.

Holy Crap - I'm so glad that Jag is in good hands!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/21 10:03 a.m.
Kendall_Jones said:

Holy Crap - I'm so glad that Jag is in good hands!

Man, after a few little fixes that thing has been AWESOME. Well, I have a pretty low bar for awesome but it really has been a refreshing change from my usual beaters. It does need valve stem seals so it smokes like crazy on in gear decel but totally worth it. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/21 1:19 p.m.

I love the variety!  This thread delivers.  How did I not see it until now??

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 2:15 p.m.

This is all amaizng.

iansane
9/23/21 2:40 p.m.

I'm currently yanking a donor engine from an Audi v8. What a colossal pain. My buddy thinks I'll put this in his '85 4000. Yikes. We'll see!

After commuting in the LSe30 for a week, I wrinkled the front fender and cracked the fender flare. Womp womp.

The tire just barely caught it after I backed into a parking space and then tried to readjust by pulling forward. Lame. Never readjust! I'm really, really thinking about cutting out the part of the fender starting just above the trim. But I've been told it's too driftboi. 

I also took the car to RadwoodPNW last weekend and one of the guys said they knew someone writing an article about swap cars and might want to interview me about it. That could be cool.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/21 2:50 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

You do you, if it works for you, don't listen to the haters. 

iansane
10/25/21 3:38 p.m.

This car is ridiculously easy to drive. And insanely fun as a daily. But I know I'm going to get into trouble now that the rain is here. It's just so quick to step out.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/21 4:35 p.m.
iansane said:
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

It is a bit hard to tell, but since you are saying FWD drivetrain, in the back I'm thinking its a Goblin. 

https://dfkitcar.com/

I think you nailed it. The Goblin has those rear coilovers hanging out in space looking fairly unsupported and what looks to be the cage/frame welded directly to the rear subframe or at least the bushing inserts. It was clean, but honestly looked home made. (and disappointinly N/A)

Could also be a Midlana as those are similar, but completely homebuilt.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
10/25/21 4:42 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Some of the Porsche 924/944 folks like to salvage the limited slips out of the Audi V8 rear ends to upgrade their Audi 016 transaxles on the cheap.  So don't lose that rear end as it could offset costs (or maybe you can use it for something down the road).

iansane
10/25/21 4:48 p.m.

In building the e30-ute I tried to retain the sunroof functionality. Well, at least half of it. I wanted it to be able to popup, if it couldn't slide back (since half the roof of the car was missing...) Primarily because that's the only way I use the sunroof on my e30. Come to find out that the GF never uses the sunroof at all. Add to that, the fact that I could never get the drains to function correctly after removing over a foot from the center of the sunroof cartridge and I just decided to cutout the sunroof entirely.

No going back now! In the interest of killing two birds with one stone I decided that I would cut out the sunroof and build a small frame in which I could mount a roof basket. My idea was that I would weld it directly to the roof rails for structure.

That worked out pretty well. I pretty much eyeball'd everything and the visors tuck up perfectly in front of the frame. Now I needed new skin for the roof. I was going to cut off a chunk at work and use it but it was actually easier to haul off a whole 4x8 sheet...

Skinned the top and plug welded it to the frame along with perimeter welding.

And now is where the discussion of what kind of roof basket I was going to build came to a head. The GF provided supplies...

Yes. That's a mini shopping cart. There are actually two that I welded together, and cut out about 5 inches of height.

I still need to paint the handle red (I had to destroy the stock red one) and build some small brackets because I want to mount the little child seats up there. (Not that they'll ever be used but I want them). I was unsure if the GF would like the whole shebang being quite small but she says she loves it. I know the pooch loves it.

iansane
10/25/21 4:51 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

Whoa. More info on this? I'm pretty sure my buddies '90 uses an 016...

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
10/25/21 5:37 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Hi from your neighbor down south!  (PDX)

Here's some links for you:

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=23820

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=308155

If my 924 had an Audi transaxle, I'd be interested in trying this myself.  It has the Porsche dogleg unit.  I didn't keep my 951S long enough to pursue doing it there.

Almost swapped the 924 over to a 7A, but decided I'm going boost the 2.0L until it pukes (BAE turbo manifold + MS2 + Mitsubishi TE04h/intercooler) and then swap a Chrysler 2.2 turbo because I've got a freshly built one sitting around that has forged internals, aluminum flywheel, Holset, etc.  I sold the swap parts to JH36, but he sold them on because he decided to build his Camaro instead.

Loving this thread.  FYI, you can also drag/drop or upload pictures directly to the forum, even on mobile, if that helps you with updates.

iansane
10/26/21 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

I'm down in the PDX fairly regularly. My dad just moved to hillsboro and I'm always working on his dodge truck (rebuilding the trans right now).

Man, that LSD info is super tempting. Someone is supposed to come haul off the car this saturday. If it weren't out in the gravel I'd definitely pull the diff. I wonder if I can get motivation to do that before the car disappears...

iansane
11/18/21 10:50 a.m.

Well that's a bummer.

On the plus side, I put coiloves on the s4 last night. Just need to get rid of the purple tint now.

And I see now I'm missing a lug bolt... That's weird.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/18/21 11:25 a.m.

Sad news on the E30

I really like those wheels on your S4!

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/21 12:49 p.m.

Sorry about the E30. You're no stranger to rescuing cars, what's the plan?

iansane
11/18/21 1:32 p.m.

Yeah, the e30 definitely sucks. I had to wait almost 4 hours for a tow. I'm pretty sure AAA forgot about me.

First part is dissection. I'm fairly certain the core support is destroyed but I have almost a full front end on another e30 I can rob. So I can probably get it running/driving quickly. Good time to make the core support a bolt on deal instead of the welded version. It'll likely need front frame horns as well. The tube bumper did not distort and mangled the hell out of the front frame rails.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
11/18/21 1:40 p.m.

That roof basket is amazing! I'm going to have to try to recreate that.

iansane
12/10/21 11:00 a.m.
Shavarsh said:

That roof basket is amazing! I'm going to have to try to recreate that.

It definitely needs a hair more work but I like it, even though it's smaller than I wanted, and the GF loves it so I consider it a win.

Well the e30truck is basically done. I welded on a new core support/frame horn and slapped some new(used) sheetmetal on it. It now sports an e30M3 hood (but functionally there is no difference between M and nonM. Actually, the guy I bought the hood off of seemed really cool. Replaced the one on his car with a carbon version. We met up in a park and ride and chatted a little bit. The guy was waxing about racing old blower bentleys, f40s andhow modern cars just don't excite him. What a life. I didn't want to mention his nice M3 hood was going on a frankenstein.

The tube bumper needs a bit of a tweak for fitment and then I think it can roll out of the shop so I can work on other projects. Maybe the m50 swap, maybe the impala. 

I also got around to mounting some bigger 31s on some spare 15s I have. (thankfully my work has a tire machine).

It was funny shoving all that in the back of the s4. I ran out of welding gas and loaded up everything on my way to work. I enjoy getting full use out of my cars.

Then I tried to fit the tires up to the truck with little success.

That's with a 2" spacer and about 2 threads on one lugbolt. So not exactly "mounted". The tires hit the factory spring perch (which I knew was going to happen as the 27" tires are millimeters away from the perch). The plan is build some coil overs for the smaller spring diameter and maybe a small set of flares if I need to. And obviously a lot of trimming of the fender! I also think if i go tires things big I'll have to add power steering back onto the truck...

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
12/10/21 12:57 p.m.

Don't think we can't see the dicks. 

iansane
12/10/21 1:14 p.m.
JeremyJ said:

Whoops. Ha. The girlfriend fancies herself an artist. Fixed, I think?

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
12/10/21 4:19 p.m.
iansane said:
JeremyJ said:

Ha ha. I certainly wasn't offended, but carry on.

I'm always impressed by your work. The swaps are super impressive and way beyond my abilities. Keep that E36 M3 up. 

ejs262
ejs262 New Reader
12/11/21 2:10 a.m.

I saw your username, and I couldn't help but think it sounded familiar from the days when I was on TGO every night, clicked the thread and was not let down! nice projects, glad to see you're still at it! I lived over in Bremerton for a few years, and had a buddy in Bonney lake who I used to work on Fieros with all the time, I'm over on the east coast now though. 

iansane
12/14/21 12:51 p.m.
JeremyJ said:
iansane said:
JeremyJ said:

Ha ha. I certainly wasn't offended, but carry on.

I'm always impressed by your work. The swaps are super impressive and way beyond my abilities. Keep that E36 M3 up. 

Ha, I wasn't thinking you were offended but probably not good to have on the forum. And thanks!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sZf0xSb8ZgOjdFcA4DqtSJAs0JupNUjryQY1cMwcv0twOR3UrNzviFleTu3pv71T