1 2 3 4 5 6
birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/12/22 10:56 a.m.

Lightweight rails and inner fenders?

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
3/12/22 6:14 p.m.

Because I don't think I posted them, here's pics of the quarter I need to replace.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/22 8:13 p.m.

classicJackets (FS)
3/15/22 12:12 p.m.

Gotta try to stay good with the neighbors. What better way than a lunchtime sawzall session?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/22 12:28 p.m.

trans tunnel.  i can haz?

classicJackets (FS)
4/6/22 2:15 p.m.

Because my neighbors don't hate me enough and I don't hate myself enough and I'm a cheap bastard  - I'm gonna drag home a partially disassembled 1983 280zx tonight for $500. It should still have drivetrain/rear-end (minus AFM and possibly ECU, hard to say what else is missing yet, seller isn't super quick to respond) which will make it valuable to me, and enough other parts to sell I should be able to profit.. and a Clean title so a scrapper can take it when I'm done!

I also LOL'd at the subframe bushings in back - definitely have to replace these..

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/22 2:24 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Man, I remember the first time I jacked up my buddies 77 z, dropped it on some stands watched the rear diff mount droop away from the chassis another 2". Eye opening.

birdmayne
4/6/22 2:39 p.m.

Turbo ZX? Manual transmission?

classicJackets (FS)
4/6/22 2:45 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Manual N/A

birdmayne
4/6/22 3:32 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

In reply to birdmayne :

Manual N/A

Thats the flat top F54 block, which makes a nice high compression build with the N42 head you have. IIRC that combo should be around 9.7:1 and flow nicely. 

classicJackets (FS)
4/6/22 3:35 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

I had read that from you, previously!

It should also get me a 5 speed and 3.90, which (on stock tire size) drops RPMs at 70mph from ~3360 with stock 4 speed to 2760. Would be really nice!

birdmayne
4/6/22 3:47 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

In reply to birdmayne :

I had read that from you, previously!

My kid repeats himself constantly. I know where he gets it from

classicJackets (FS)
4/6/22 8:04 p.m.

Downside is it's disgusting and PO kept some of the stuff I was hoping to be able to sell, but it's here in all it's glory with engine/trans/diff all here.

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
4/6/22 11:24 p.m.

Good drivetrain combo, the 3.9 is fun but sucksssss with the stock 4 speed for highway driving. Im turning like 4k at 65 with my miata size tires. You just gonna swap the whole thing over or rebuild it first?

Also lol on the diff bushings, mine was the same way. Just finished doing the full poly kit on mine and it's fantastic, highly recommend that + the technoversions front diff mount since that is probably shot too on yours.

classicJackets (FS)
4/7/22 9:25 a.m.

In reply to papamilad :

Good suggestion on the diff mount, that looks nice!

As long as the engine turns I'll probably go ahead and swap the whole thing over. Since my N42 engine is seized/needs a rebuild anyway, and I'd rather try to get in the road. It would be cool to eventually combine this block and my N42 head for a higher compression engine, but I would bet that would require a step to Megasquirt and I'm absolutely not ready for that yet lol.

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
4/7/22 1:42 p.m.

Reading some old hybridz forum posts gives me mixed feelings about the N42 head and flat top piston combo. Some people say it's crazy knock prone and some people say it's just fine. Good excuse to run flex fuel maybe lol. Hard to find straight forward info on the best way to build these motors but I bet many issues can be solved with modern ignition and efi

birdmayne
4/7/22 2:11 p.m.
papamilad said:

Reading some old hybridz forum posts gives me mixed feelings about the N42 head and flat top piston combo. Some people say it's crazy knock prone and some people say it's just fine. Good excuse to run flex fuel maybe lol. Hard to find straight forward info on the best way to build these motors but I bet many issues can be solved with modern ignition and efi

I've come across some of that as well, with most of the big Z guys I know saying that running a big cam will help. Plus, who doesn't like the sound of a lumpy inline 6?

classicJackets (FS)
4/7/22 3:16 p.m.

Yeah, same fears here. Figured it would take some investigation/asking people who had done it directly.

Regardless, this engine spins over so I'll hopefully be able to just clean it and run it, once I find an AFM and figure out whether there's still an ECU here...

classicJackets (FS)
4/12/22 4:51 p.m.

I've got a growing pile of parts in a diminishing amount of space, but I'm hoping to get the engine pulled during our 4 day weekend (thanks UAW) and go from there! Trying to get all the smaller stuff pulled now so it can go as soon as drivetrain is out.

Edit: and good thing this is the plan, got a code ordinance violation from the city today for having 2 inoperable Datsuns..

classicJackets (FS)
4/15/22 1:32 p.m.

Progress is progress, everything is free and I'll get it the rest of the way out this evening. Mrs. CJ is worn out so I'm a full time dad the rest of today!

Kiddo came with me to pick up an engine stand just now. I've never had good luck getting an engine bolted to one, but we'll try again.

I've hated working on this car because I keep getting rust and dust in my eyes, but every bolt has turned so far, and I've already sold $120 worth of parts.

classicJackets (FS)
4/16/22 11:36 a.m.

It's all out! The rear lift point stud had snapped in the head so I had to get.. creative... To get it lifted and leveled, not my favorite but I was careful and it worked okay.

Pressure plate looks like it's seen some shrapnel and theres a massive gouge in that separator plate.

classicJackets (FS)
4/16/22 8:57 p.m.

Engine is still on the hoist but has the little tube for the stand mounted to it, I'll hang it tomorrow. Got the rear end pulled out tonight with no major hiccups, and the rear of the car is now sorta jacked up. Tomorrow or Monday I'll drag it closer to the street and get it "listed" for $10 or so to just get it gone.

Not sure if I'll pull the rack/pinion or not but I've got just about everything else if value pulled already.

Edit: Ordered a set of poly bushings Sunday AM, will sell some more parts before I order the upgraded diff mount. I found a guy in Texas who has a better gas tank so I'll get that in the next month or two as well.

classicJackets (FS)
4/19/22 6:01 p.m.

Alright, scrap man came today and took the 280zx away, glad to have that off my plate.

Appointment Thursday to plate the 280z. Little more cleanup before my "due" date of the 22nd but should be in good shape!

papamilad
papamilad New Reader
4/19/22 11:26 p.m.

My 2 cents there, get new rubber for the tension rod if you're doing the whole set. Poly doesn't have enough compliance there and I've heard of people snapping tension rods.

Also for whatever reason the kit doesn't include front swaybar bushings 

classicJackets (FS)
4/20/22 8:47 a.m.

In reply to papamilad :

That sounds good - I saw even some of the vendors suggesting that. I think the rear will get its refresh before the front, anyway, so I should have some time. Still need to order the Upgraded diff mount as well.. Waiting to get some more of these parts sold before hitting the "buy" button on more parts here, especially with having to register it. I also need to buy another wheel for the Camaro, and chase CEL there, etc etc. 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L2SqudRZJBMXsLuGWsOwWiGBS3Q47vNcVmjg6BkVybwqdSewvZs1W5nRVtpBQRIz