1 ... 10 11 12 13
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/22 10:50 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I think I really wanted to do the challenge about 20 years ago. 

That sums up my thoughts too. I still love to go & take part in it, but forget about actually building a car of my own.  

Gambit
Gambit Reader
9/28/22 9:49 a.m.

where are you at and how reasonably priced is that mr2? id love to know more

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/28/22 8:50 p.m.
Gambit said:

where are you at and how reasonably priced is that mr2? id love to know more

I'm in Jackson, MS.  Honestly, I doubt you can find a more complete (I have most of the OEM parts in boxes from the challenge conversion) in better shape for less.  You can try, but it's doubtful. 

9/28/22 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Oh don't worry this build thread is going to go photo intensive once the Subaru parts arrive.

The Honda has two hurt wheels, a bent tie rod end (I think), and had a side curtain and seat airbag deploy.... from hitting a curb no less.  I started my routine morning turn from one major road to another about 200 ft early thanks to the tailgaiting bright lights.  I was just trying to get into the long turn lane so I could see.  By the time I could see, I realized I was way early and CURB!  I steered to miss it and the front tire caught it hard and the rear tire banged off it too.  I've driven the car 450 miles since and the alignment is off, airbags cut out, but no body damage.  The hurt to me was the airbags.  Dang those hurt.  I can fix it all myself for far less than the body shop can.  I'm not sure I want to wait all the time body shops are taking this day and age as well. 

Gambit
Gambit Reader
9/28/22 10:41 p.m.

I am definitely interested in that mr2, depending on how far you think it could drive getting might be reasonable.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/22 1:04 a.m.

Sorry to hear about the Honda. 

Gambit
Gambit Reader
9/29/22 1:14 p.m.

Dm'd..

10/4/22 8:46 p.m.

Honda at repair shop....  have a regular Corolla rental.  It's a miserable way to commute in comparison.  

That's how far back a rally wing sits.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/4/22 8:52 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Wing looks great. 

That's how the shipped the parts!!?? Any damage?

10/4/22 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I see a front spat in the bumper cover a bit off so far.  I haven't unwrapped the fenders yet.  The hood and trunk / wing look really nice. These parts are way nicer than what's on the car for sure.  

10/4/22 10:05 p.m.

As shipped 

10/8/22 8:14 p.m.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/14/22 9:29 a.m.

Bummer about the Si, hopefully it's put back together quickly.  The  Subaru fan-bois will apprecite the new wing.  It does look much better.

10/14/22 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I will check on my Si next week.  It's been at the shop two weeks.  I'm going to replace the ugly rear bumper cover on the Subaru too.  I'm getting a factory airbox parts for it too, to get rid of the cold air kit.  I want less dirt not more hp for it.  I will start on the front end and the decals and should have it all ready by spring.  It'll look the part at least.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/15/22 11:19 p.m.

Well the Si isn't going to be ready when I need it.  Insurance stops covering rental on 11/1.  I knew they wouldn't get all the parts on time.  The adjuster / insurance company / repair shop and supply process are just too slow.  It's sad because it isn't a difficult repair.

So for November I will need something else.  Buy a Miata?  I'd like another vert.  Or daily the Camaro or truck?  I'm try to get the truck running reliably, but the Camaro has AC.  Neither is proven on a 150 mile trip.  The truck wiring and vacuum systems are all buggered up by 31 years of home brew repairs and mods.  

Today I did the battery cables.  The starter solenoid signal wire terminal was all a mess too,  so much of the wiring is bad connectors it's amazing it ran at all.  

This was the battery cables....  so much bare wire on the ends.  

I had to do a lot of crimping and heat shrinking today too at the solenoid and power distribution block.  I also know why the brakes were so weak....  huge vacuum leaks.  I will be rebuilding the throttle body and addressing vacuum leaks shortly.  

10/16/22 8:07 p.m.

I really wanted to work on the Subaru this weekend but I kind of need the truck as a backup DD and as a truck.  It's really a miracle it drove itself onto the trailer.  The coil wires are just twisted together for splices.  The throttle body was seriously gunked and neglected.  Heck dirt robbers had built nests on the intake and starter.  

The throttle body as it was before I started.  It had a Jerry rigged throttle return spring too.  Once remove, I figured out how the OEM spring worked and repositioned it. 

Yep, that double spliced wire goes to the coil.  I have a new pigtail.  I can solder that up this week too.  I've repaired a lot of wiring so far.  This truck could really use a new harness.  If it runs well enough, I may reward it with one.  

10/22/22 8:10 p.m.

Goodbye MR2.  The coolest part of this one for me was meeting vracer111.  I really hope all his new adventures are going well.  I guess I'm not challenge material after all.

10/23/22 1:41 p.m.

The trailer and expensive tie downs have been amazing.  The tie downs do not stretch or relax as you drive.  The trailer is valuable and stored at a storage lot 1 mioe from home so I got hood locks for it.  One lock secures the boots which adjust the snout height.  The other lock secures the ball area.  If you want to see this guys work look up Ft Knox locks on YouTube.  His locks are the real deal.

10/23/22 8:29 p.m.

I really like having a hobby / workshop bay in the garage. That will limit me to two cars, tye truck and a daily.  I'm going to get a lift to stack the Subaru and 2nd hobby car.  Kiddo really misses a convertible.  She seems to think a targa too or T tops would be accepatable.  I guess I'm probably going to sell the Camaro and hunt for a Tran Am with T tops or a Vette coupe.  

10/24/22 8:47 p.m.

A little piece of American hot rodding history arrived at the house today.  I've decided I'm going to stick with Gen 1 SBC EFI tech and play with TBI.  Yes I know the LS is better in ever way shape and form.  I'm not wanting the fastest or coolest OBS Chevy though.  Trying to eek decent performance and towing out of dirt simple TBI seems like a bit of old fashioned fun though.

10/25/22 8:01 p.m.

Soldering under hood without removing the harness takes some time to setup.  The plug wires are routed like poo too.  One was literally laying on the steering column.  If this thing ends up passing a 50 mile road test it'll need a new wire harness and full tune up kit complete with plug wire retainers.  I wonder if I can find plug wire routing and retainer photos.  This way is not OEM or even close.

Trying to undo years of maintenance neglect to figure out what I really have will be a journey,  

I'm also fairly certain the unused plug off the white wire was for a tach that is long gone too.

11/9/22 10:03 a.m.

This showed up at my house today....  wife says it is the nicest Miata I've bought.

The Camaro is going to be for sale soon.  Those funds will go to LS swap the truck.

I'm hoping my automotive ADD will slow down.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/22 10:06 a.m.

Nice! I dont think I remember ever seeing a white NB. 

11/9/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I had a white 94 R, and I miss it more than most cars I have ever parted ways with.  There are really just two I wish I had back and that is one.

11/9/22 6:21 p.m.

And just no one thinks I drove it without modifying it first.

It's overall in really good shape.  It's dirty and the shocks are showing their age but have a bit of life left.  Shocks, wheels and tires will likely be changed this winter, but it is a perfectly useable NB!

1 ... 10 11 12 13
Our Preferred Partners
bsok9KueJvvfp1BGvRgwPoeWVIugJ6iWwc7ErV8JJv94WfcbXrzyuvkfwy0AYg2u