1 2
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/22 7:41 p.m.

So back about 6-8 years ago, I was very active with Motorsports. Autocross, track days, on the BOD for SCCA and the local autox club. Gradually life and work commitments got me away from the track more and more. It got to the point where I didn't drive an event in the last 5 years. So I had to fix that. The last 2 years told me not to delay any longer and get back out there. Whie I've had really fun cars over that time, I just never made it out there.

So enter in to the picture, the 2022 BRZ. I was looking for something that I didn't have to worry about a rollbar or anything like that to take it to the track. The goal was to get something that I can just drive and maintain. In October, I placed my order for the lowest option BRZ and took delivery last week. Wrote the check for the car and off I went

A couple of photos from delivery:

bmw88rider
1/18/22 7:46 p.m.

So i got it back to the house and being that it's winter in Nebraska, I had to mount snow tires on it to really drive it much. Lucky for me, I had a set in the right size in my basement from my Golf R I sold. So off to tire rack I went and ordered a new set of wheels.....in gold of course: 

While I was in there I took a couple other pictures just to share: 

bmw88rider
1/18/22 7:55 p.m.

So, It's not a true project car without the right decals. First, had to add some homage to the internet home away from home: 

Spent the weekend working on all of the decals for the coming season. They all came out good. 

bmw88rider
1/18/22 7:59 p.m.

The final thing for right now is my Track/Autox wheels. Went with the classics here, RPF1s, since they come in a BRZ factory wheel size 17x7.5. 

I have a set of Bridgestone RE71R's that I'll have mounted this week in 235/45/17 size. 

bmw88rider
1/18/22 8:03 p.m.

So, what's next? Well, I'm moving back to Colorado here in about 2 months. So I'll spent the next 2 months breaking in the motor and then try to do the whole NASA Rocky Mountain schedule this year, The PPIR Time Trial Schedule, and maybe a few of the SCCA solo events as well. 

As for shocks and other mods, I'm going to hold off and run this year as is then decide what direction I need to go there. The driver mod will be a big one for this year. But overall I can't wait. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/18/22 9:41 p.m.

Following!  I pretty much bought my brz for the same reasons.

I am getting a limited. I ordered a premium as well but missed the ordering window and ended up taking over a canceled order for the silver car I will ultimately get.

I plan on getting a set of 17x7.5 wheels as well and some rt660's for autocross and track days once the car is closer to delivery.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
1/19/22 7:43 a.m.

Following as well after watching way too many YouTube reviews of the 2022 twins over the past weekend.  

Do you have any plans to get additional negative camber for track/autocross use or are you going to run it as is from the factory? That is one of my current sticking points on it making a great track car as I am not a fan of crash bolts for camber adjustment and the only other options I am seeing are camber plates up front and adjustable lower link arms in the back.

Looking forward to reading about your driving impressions around town, auto-crossing, and on the track. 

TT86
TT86 New Reader
1/19/22 7:56 a.m.

Congrats on the 2022! I've been eyeing a GR86 for quite some time now. 

My wife and I use White-line Camber Bolts for our 2015 FRS and 2017 86; they seem to work well for $24 and a temporary solution for a bit of turn-in aid. 

Following along for your track comeback! 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/19/22 8:00 a.m.

Also following and looking forward to updates.    That is a fancy delivery area for a Subaru dealership.

Median
Median New Reader
1/19/22 9:55 a.m.

I am considering one of these myself. Looking forward to following your adventures.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/19/22 10:01 a.m.

Congrats.  I mostly run with PCA here, I used to run a bunch with NASA but haven't in some years. 

bmw88rider
1/19/22 10:22 a.m.

For the camber, I really don't have a lot of choices while keeping it in D Street. It's really just crash bolts as my only option. Long term if/when I move to STX with the car I'll move to camber plates. 

I will be adding those in as part of the alignment. I am looking to max out the camber and then I'm going to start with the rear with a very slight toe in and the front with a vert slight toe out. Like an 1/8-1/16th of an inch for each. 

The only other thing I'm thinking through is brake pads right now but I have a little time for that. 

As for first impressions: 

The only negative I have to really say is the center console. It's useless and my elbow keeps hitting the release to open it. I was surprised how roomy it feels. I'm 6'1" and 215 with really broad shoulders and I don't feel anywhere close to tight in it. In fact, when I lowered the seat down I have tons of head room. I've got 350 miles on it so after this tank of gas is used up, I'll start to rip on it some. Not too many great driving roads in Nebraska so will need to wait till I hit Colorado to blast away in the canyons. 

As for the driving, it's honestly right there with the Miata on all levels for me. It's a little different because the convertible vs hardtop but I didn't find anything either way that was like this is so much greater. The motor feels punchy and while I know it's slower than the Golf R it replaced, It's a lot more fun to drive too. If you remember it's a sub 28K car, you would be hard pressed to find anything that is above it at that price point. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/22 10:40 a.m.

Are the front knuckles aluminium or just painted nicely?

Good choice on the wheels - I have the same colour RPF1s on my track shed BRZ.

bmw88rider
1/19/22 10:45 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

If they allow in us common brands, I'd love to run with PCA too. I've always had a great time with the Texas groups I worked with in the past. 

I'll even let you drive it if that greases the wheels. Oh and it will have a genuine Porsche part on it, the GT3 brake ducts. 

bmw88rider
1/19/22 10:46 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

They are aluminum. It is one of the differences in the BRZ vs the GR86. The GR runs cast iron. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

That's pretty cool - the Mk1 BRZ is running cast iron front knuckles/uprights, so that's definitely an improvement.

Re PCA, at least out here they'll let you run cars from "inferior" brands as long as you are a member.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/20/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

They don't care what you bring.  I ran my M3 with them for awhile, plus the LSx 951.  They run a great event that's super chill.  I stepped away from NASA because the TT group was beginning to get way too hard core.  Lots of very serious people who were being uber competitive vs just having a good time. 

I don't need to be out there with the 996 and have some guy force me off the track trying to find that last 0.001 second and I don't care to run in the lower groups with them due to lack of passing zones and the overall speed of my car and the times I run.

bmw88rider
1/20/22 10:24 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to bmw88rider :

They don't care what you bring.  I ran my M3 with them for awhile, plus the LSx 951.  They run a great event that's super chill.  I stepped away from NASA because the TT group was beginning to get way too hard core.  Lots of very serious people who were being uber competitive vs just having a good time. 

I don't need to be out there with the 996 and have some guy force me off the track trying to find that last 0.001 second and I don't care to run in the lower groups with them due to lack of passing zones and the overall speed of my car and the times I run.

And that is exactly the vibe I'm looking for. I'm planning to start at the bottom of the ranks just to get comfortable again on the track. I'll have to download their schedule too. I know they run more at High Plains. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/20/22 3:15 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

The Rocky Mtn region runs exclusively at HPR, they're one of the majority owners.  The Alpine region does 2 events at Pueblo Motorsports Park a season, which is a really fun track!

bmw88rider
2/2/22 8:46 p.m.

So funny thing happened over the last few weeks. Got a call from a friend and got a nice place and a fun job on the weekends when I want to back in a town I lived in for 17 years. Off to Austin we go. Of course, it's suppose to be cold for Texas when I arrive. 

It's got a ton of trunk space for a small car. 2 big suitcases, all of my Marshal gear, My work stuff, and assorted stuff all fit. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/2/22 10:10 p.m.

Very much looking forward to you assessment after some track testing. Following!

bmw88rider
2/3/22 11:52 a.m.

You should have a report 3/17 provided I'm not too full of green beer. I'll be doing the TNIA at Harris Hill on the 16th. They have 7 of them there this year. I'm going to do the first 2 and then decide if I want to be a full member or not. If I decide to do that then it's $300 a month for track time when I want it. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/4/22 9:26 a.m.

Following for another BRZ owner, even if a different generation.  I can use all the advice I can get.  I'm hoping to get mine to some autocross events this year.

bmw88rider
2/7/22 12:44 p.m.

Well the car is soaking up the TX sun after a crazy trip down. There was a nice little bout of winter weather along the way. Basically from Wichita to Austin, the far left lane was just a mess. Either in the form of slush or ice. So it made for a long drive overall. 

Comments after the long trip: 

1. The seats are pretty decent overall. No aches or pains from the drive and they worked well. 

2. It's a little busy driving but not that bad. It cruised a lot better than I was expecting. Of course given the crap weather, I may have just been happy to make it. 

3. I think I need to re-bed the pads. They seem ehh overall. I may have to change the pads sooner than I was expecting. Oh well. That's a consumable. 

4. Noticeable difference in grip between a full fuel load and a quarter tank. 

It is a hot mess right now. Time for a bath!!

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/7/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Glad you made it to a warmer, sunnier climate!  And I'm glad the extended test drive didn't reveal any fatal flaws.  Thumbs up!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szxlg2WLOEuh6JF287PTSnaP7GAneu3xkgtomqRrIyRlY6YXLzJVVPc00ttBX9yP