1 2
engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/5/19 10:53 a.m.

ARP studs is a good find, with the stock composite head gasket thats good to 400-450HP.  If they put a "big" cam (272 and up) in it, that may not be the best for auto-x and swapping back to a stock 1G cam will help a lot for low end torque and response.  They're dirt cheap on classifieds, expect $free to $50 for a set of good cams.

I made my own rear active toe kit, I have a CAD drawing somewhere I can send and I'll try to find out what heim joints I used.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/5/19 11:03 a.m.

Found em. Feel free to use the drawing. You'll need a big boy lathe to make this, and then press and weld into place. The old bushing needs to be burned and cut out.

Also worth noting, the stock rear trailing arm bolts are eccentric and allow adjusting toe a bit.  You could re-use the stock eccentric bolts with the heim joint, as its way easier to adjust via the eccentric bolts as opposed to disconnecting the heim joint.  I believe the heim joint I used allows the stock eccentric bolts to fit.

Here is an install guide:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1g-awd-active-rear-toe-eliminator-kit-install-heim-joint.405836/

I also made some upper control arms using swage tube and heim joints, there's directions on DSMTuners on how to make these.  I will likely put the stock piece back on as I'm a bit worried about durability with use in RallyCross.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/5/19 12:28 p.m.

Im interested in this. I can help with tuning (and regular mechanic stuff) over text/phone if interested. And i might even buy some stuff you don't use!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
12/5/19 4:29 p.m.
Vigo said:

Im interested in this. I can help with tuning (and regular mechanic stuff) over text/phone if interested. And i might even buy some stuff you don't use!

I'd love the help / encouragement.  If you can make it to FL you can do some driving too.  Let's contact via message and plan some time to chat this weekend.  Sales would definitely help and I have no reason to get greedy.

I do think the volk metalfab kit seems like a fair deal after pricing the rod ends alone.  I need to recoup $175 or so to make this work. Every penny counts.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
12/6/19 5:35 p.m.

Found a local guy to take some welding lessons from.  Looks like I will be buying new tools and learning new skills too.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
12/6/19 5:54 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

I've decided that I need to do things I enjoy more, take all of my PTO time and let my bosses figure out how to get things done when I am not there.  If they can't then it might be time to re-evaluate work. 

Great! It took me forever to figure that out. It was amusing, in a bittersweet way, to watch my previous employer burn through 4 people in an attempt to replace me after I left.  I put up with far too much for far too long. Don't feel guilty for putting yourself first.

AnthonyGS said:

It's a 92 Laser RS AWD with Eclipse front end and Talon sideskirts. 

This is the most GRM thing I've read in a fair bit.  Awesome!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
12/23/19 9:56 p.m.

Had my welding class today.  I need to get my own welding equipment and find some practice projects.  I hope by summer I'm ready to weld my own rear toe eliminators.

If anyone has advice on starting MIG welders that will do the job and handle hobby use for many years.  Today at the instructors I used a Miller 211.  I could afford one if I had to......  but I'm open to less expensive ideas.

java230
java230 UberDork
12/23/19 10:39 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I have a Miller 211 at work. Great machine, super easy to use and is very capable with the 120/240v options. Yes it's $$

engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/24/19 8:40 a.m.

Hobart handler 140 110v is what I got, made by Miller I think, less than $500 at tractor supply. Make sure your get the gas valve adapter. I've run mild steel and stainless with it and it works decent enough for piping, etc. You're not going to be welding thick stuff but it's a good starter mig.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
12/24/19 2:27 p.m.

engiekev, you really think 110V welders can do the control arms above?  I'd be a bit worried about penetration on the 1/4" plug, but you've done it.  I can get a Hobart 110V pretty easy or debate with myself about getting a 211.  I still need a 220V drop in my garage but have a box for it about 5 feet from my panel, so that's not a major hurdle. 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/25/19 9:49 a.m.

You mean to do the toe eliminator? Maybe, but your probably better off taking that to a professional, shouldn't cost much.  You're welding on a comparatively thin control arm bushing OD to a very thick steel insert. If you size them right it should be press fit then welded.

You don't want that popping out mid corner!

I mostly use the Hobart for piping and exhaust, works great on stainless pipe. Not as pretty as tig but it works.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/26/19 3:54 a.m.

Personally, I'd skip a 110v welder even for basic hobby use. We've got a Hobart 187 in the shop that has done everything I've needed. The Hobart 190 is the current model, it's $650 at Tractor Supply and they keep the consumables in stock.

I did buy a used Miller 210 off Craigslist for a great deal awhile back. Haven't got to try it out yet, need to replace a few small things on it.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
12/26/19 5:58 p.m.
untchabl said:

Personally, I'd skip a 110v welder even for basic hobby use. We've got a Hobart 187 in the shop that has done everything I've needed. The Hobart 190 is the current model, it's $650 at Tractor Supply and they keep the consumables in stock.

I did buy a used Miller 210 off Craigslist for a great deal awhile back. Haven't got to try it out yet, need to replace a few small things on it.

I'm thinking you're right.  Saving a few hundred now will only lead to regret later.  I'm really thinking just get a Miller 211 and not worry about it.  

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
12/26/19 6:23 p.m.
untchabl said:

Absolutely agree. 240 MIG is %100 worth it.

1 2
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
5Qbr4IfpBkKmjgNXArOU7Md37eYyJbLRpxw5KcO6LEoOTKrAStOItxIm9ZEkLphF