1 2 3
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/31/17 10:18 p.m.

Replacing my turbo 267v8 with a proper motor ;)

This is going to be fun to reconstruct...

Stock manifolds, less the big bulky cat flanges will work for now

Probably reuse the airbox too...because it flows fine for a stock motor

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
10/31/17 10:22 p.m.

Holy Shizuoka, that’s an unexpected - and cool -swap.  Please, do continue. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/31/17 10:40 p.m.

Nice!!!

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
10/31/17 11:17 p.m.

That's rad! Do you know what the end game for this car is?

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
11/1/17 1:13 a.m.

That's definitely out there... I'd never expect to see any kind of Toyota engine under the hood of a Malibu.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/1/17 7:37 a.m.

I love the silky revs of those toyota v8s!

Yeah, whats the end game? Another turbo?

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
11/1/17 8:00 a.m.

A Toy-Let?

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
11/1/17 8:15 a.m.

Oh what?  Totally cool project.

What was the turbo 267 like?  Seems like stock compression is good for a turbo.  Interesting stuff going on.

Brian
Brian UltraDork
11/1/17 8:37 a.m.

can I have the old transmision? smiley

malibuguy
11/1/17 8:43 a.m.

The 267 was disturbingly fun.  8psi was good for 13.9s launching soft to keep the 7.5 together.  Made 260/320 at the wheels...figure in rough flywheel conversion...i was making 320-330ish...which is basically tripled the stock flywheel rated hp. And nearly 400tq O.O

The end goal was to have smooth power and drop 200lbs off the nose of the car.  Boost may happen...but not the focus right now.  The car has been apart for a year now. 

I want a very balanced drive with utmost reliability.  Im going to put regular tags on it once its street worthy again, so I can drive it anywhere and all the time. 

Going to keep the bench seat and column shift for as long as I can.  Eventually I want to do a 6spd cd009 trans as well.

malibuguy
11/1/17 8:45 a.m.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/1/17 8:59 a.m.

That is awesome! On the CD009 are you thinking kit or making your own adapters. I can cnc cut steel plate (or AL) if that is the route that you want. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
11/1/17 9:49 a.m.

Didn't realize you were so close to me.  Cool car/swap.  I noticed the notching of the crossmember and had flashbacks to the project I'm currently working on, pushig a BBF back 6" in the frame.  

malibuguy
11/1/17 9:57 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Thanks for the offer.  A few companies already make adapters...and Im not smart enough to make or design my own.

Its a pretty expensive route...plus the aftermarket clutch pedal kit for the car is not cheap.  I work for myself...and I barely get by as is.  Projects take longer for me now.  My Tercel build just happens to be taking the bulk of my available slack at the moment 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/1/17 10:18 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

Got it, if you thinking of anything else that I can cut for you just message me. 

Jordan

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/17 12:02 p.m.

Soooooo what'cha doin with that turbo V8 and trans...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/1/17 1:32 p.m.

That cross member might require a bit of re-enforcement before you call this done.

Got any pictures that show how this all came together?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/1/17 1:38 p.m.

I've been watching Youtube videos from The Skid Factory recently (they're the guys who work on a lot of Mighty Car Mods projects) where they're putting a turbocharged version of that engine into an Aussie market Ford Fairlane.  https://www.youtube.com/user/mcmtv2

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/1/17 2:38 p.m.

That's gonna make the purists real angry. Carry on. 

malibuguy
11/1/17 3:24 p.m.

I sold the turbo 267 to a friend but still sitting on the 200r4.  Ill probably give that to my dad if someone buys my grey malibu.  If that sticks around...it will get it and some gear..

Crossmember is still as is.  I began sizing some steel square tubing to fit in there and I need to grab some cardboard and figure out the filler panels.

My biggest delay was I wanted to reuse the factory aluminim "arms" to mount the motor.  But its just not practical.  So I'll have to make custom steel brackets with little rubber isolators I guess.  Trans mount is going to be pretty easy.

I also plan to make a brace that spans between the rear lower control arm mounts that should fit nicely between the oil pan and trans bellhousing.

malibuguy
11/17/17 8:49 p.m.

Nothing new.  Been slammed at work and I will probably wait to do much more until after I move my business to its new location.  Its just to the other side of the building.   After that Ill have the car hauled over and I will finish the metal work there instead of hauling my crap back & forth to my home garage

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/10/18 8:13 p.m.

hopefully soon I can haul the car to my shop and reconstruct the crossmember and get the motor and trans mounted

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
6/10/18 9:00 p.m.

Are those Southern Ways?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/11/18 7:27 a.m.
mndsm said:

That's gonna make the purists real angry. Carry on. 

"purists".  Ha!

It'll make some of the drag racers cringe because the engine doesn't have a bowtie.  But unless it's a Grand National or t-type or Hurst Olds or other special limited edition...there aren't many g-body purists in my experience.

Cool project.  I missed it when you started it back in the winter, I guess.  I can't see any photos except for the most recent one.  I am in the process of my own g-body engine installation...but I chose the easy route.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/18 8:05 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

Those wheels look hawt!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZvDOudm3WxLhDLpKcSDIYlYtG42WKO9Y3tDMnyt51DYhrk5uyp1uPcey096AeyvL