1 2 3
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/11/18 11:43 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

I am a bit of a purist...but when I discovered this car has been in a minor accident and not completely original well that opened the gates.

I originally toyed with the 229v6, made my own headers into a dual exhaust.  I had a Crower cam that I even had WPC treated, along with a 4bbl intake that was all about to go in.  Then I yanked the motor to go thru it and clean it up well.

Slapped in a 267 v8 just to keep it running...ended up boosting that with a random turbo and had alot of fun.  Bought a 4.8LS to be my next swap...sold that for a profit and bought a 1st gen JDM 1uzfe.  But it was a front sump pan.  Looked around for a wrecked or broken sc400 to donate its rear sump pan and found one with a 'bad transmission' got it for $165.  Turns out cats were plugged.  Cut them out and the  car ran awesome.  So I decided to use that complete driveline and save the JDM motor for a rainy day.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
6/11/18 5:36 p.m.

the 267 was disturbingly fun.  8psi was good for 13.9s launching soft to keep the 7.5 together.  Made 260/320 at the wheels...figure in rough flywheel conversion...i was making 320-330ish...which is basically tripled the stock flywheel rated hp. And nearly 400tq O.O

Oh no you don't... Mentioning this configuration.... without sharing any build details! Inquiring minds wanna know! ebay turbo? carb hat? How did you fab/route the plumbing, how did you control the boost? Intercooled?  Obviously smogger cast pistons, what did you do to make it live with 8 psi...there's tons of project cars on here that don't need 450 rwhp --but owners are afraid to try some small boost...5- 8psi..

thanks - totally cool project by the way....

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
6/11/18 6:42 p.m.

Ben is in for updates!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE New Reader
6/11/18 7:35 p.m.

I am VERY interested to see how this turns out, particularly after the initial episodes of the Skid Factory where Turbo Yoda spoke a little of them.

I gotta ask tho- I did a little digging in the past as I was considering one for a future project, and many sources spoke to the 1UZ having poor cam profiles (to be smooth with large overlap), restrictive exhausts, and odd issues with cam timing due to the exhaust cam being gear driven off the intake cam. Have you heard of this? Are you going to keep the engine stock or modify it at all?

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
6/11/18 9:14 p.m.

more pictures please!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/18 9:18 p.m.

What’s your address?  I totally don’t intend to steal your wheels.  

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
Esoteric Nixon - Jordan UltraDork
6/11/18 10:26 p.m.

Wait wait wait, you souped up a 229? I like the cut of your jib.

malibuguy
6/13/18 8:31 p.m.
Agent98 said:

the 267 was disturbingly fun.  8psi was good for 13.9s launching soft to keep the 7.5 together.  Made 260/320 at the wheels...figure in rough flywheel conversion...i was making 320-330ish...which is basically tripled the stock flywheel rated hp. And nearly 400tq O.O

Oh no you don't... Mentioning this configuration.... without sharing any build details! Inquiring minds wanna know! ebay turbo? carb hat? How did you fab/route the plumbing, how did you control the boost? Intercooled?  Obviously smogger cast pistons, what did you do to make it live with 8 psi...there's tons of project cars on here that don't need 450 rwhp --but owners are afraid to try some small boost...5- 8psi..

thanks - totally cool project by the way....

here is a crappy video showing some bits of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isxEcLSkZUQ

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
6/15/18 1:42 p.m.

Great video thanks for posting

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder New Reader
6/15/18 3:17 p.m.

I said to myself, watching your video, "Hey that car show on your main street sure does look a lot like my Main street." 

Westminster Represent! 

malibuguy
6/16/18 6:01 p.m.
BirgerBuilder said:

I said to myself, watching your video, "Hey that car show on your main street sure does look a lot like my Main street." 

Westminster Represent! 

Hell yeah.  I was proud to have both my Malibus out there

malibuguy
7/17/19 7:56 p.m.

Well after a whole lot of nothing going on I swapped the Malibu with my Tercel at my shop.  So now inbetween jobs I can finally put some work in and try to finish off the swap this year

https://youtu.be/seJcMwddXxY

malibuguy
9/8/19 8:52 p.m.

Well my Malibu got backed into by a green, building maintenance guy in a front loader.  This made me want to throw up for about 3hours this past friday.

Car was never perfect...but damnit it was presentable.  Ohwell.

Yesterday I started filling in the crossmember

Which made sliding the motor back in extra difficult as that little bit of wiggle room to drop it in and clear my heater box was now taken up.  I will have to get real creative with the mounts and have to have them completely removable with the motor in place to allow room.  

malibuguy
9/16/19 6:40 a.m.

A friend of mine did this for me and I absolutely love it

malibuguy
3/15/20 5:48 p.m.

Finally got the motor physically mounted.  Still got to build the trans crossmember but I didnt have a mount at the time.

https://youtu.be/1-nphK4LaAg

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
3/29/20 4:47 p.m.

I watched the video.  Glad to see it coming along. 

I see that you are a member of the Shirts with Welding Burn Holes club!  Most of my shirts are also ventilated.

malibuguy
3/31/20 10:03 a.m.

Well...lets throw a curve ball into the mix.

Picked up a wrecked 99 LS400 for stupid cheap.  VVTi and 5spd auto...I hate the way the motor looks ( gen1 1uz looks so good to me when cleaned up) but hard to deny 40more points of HP and TQ with wider power curves and better gear splits.  Look up acceleration videos of the LS400 and put that in a car with 3.73 gears (the LS has 3.26 iirc) and weighs nearly 800lbs lighter.  Its going to scoot.

I hate to 'give in' like this but it really is a true upgrade and besides swapping oil pans to the SC rear sump, Im at the same amount of work to make run point anyways.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/20 10:24 a.m.

No brainer

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/31/20 11:18 a.m.

Yeah those vvti motors are beasts. Worth the upgrade.

malibuguy
4/10/20 11:09 p.m.

Measured the a650e vs the a340e in the car and they have the same location for the mount.

So I built a crossmember the other day out of 1/8" 1.25 box and some 3" channel for exhaust humps. 

Annnnd it flexes.  Pretty bad.  The front rubber e30 mounts I used allows alot of tilt motion.  Most of the flex appears to be in the channels.  So I found some 3/4" square Im going to profile and go over top of the channels and bridge the tops to hopefully reduce the flex.

I might end up having to redo this crossmember and over build it.  Like the Gforce unit...I just did not want excessive weight.

Also decided the body will come off and Im going to box the frame in the middle

malibuguy
10/3/20 9:19 a.m.

Long time no post.

Im putting effort back into this car.  Ive dragged ass long enough on this swap (3.5 years) so I went ahead and purchased a wiring guide specific to this spec of the 1uz.  And Ive decided no other outside thinga beyond maintaining the dailys until this is running.  So no more racing, or working on the tercels.  Its embarrassing that I took 3.5 years to basically do a week or 2 of work.

Yesterday after I completed my scheduled jobs I messed around with the trunklid (absolutely critical).  I had to change the lock to replaced the drilled out Bonneville one.  Then it snowballed to filling in the keyhole cover holes, knocking out some low spots then removing Bonneville badges, dealer decal and a random bumper sticker.

The current goal/timeline is to get it running soon...go up and down the street to verify everything works as it should.  Yank the motor back out for a full service.  Put the car back together for spring.  Drive the nuts off of it until summer then start on body work.  Unfortunately another mishap happened to it while parked outside.  My LL is going to meet me halfway now to fully repaint the car.  It does have alot of other little cosmetic issues from the previous owner that I really would like to address.

malibuguy
10/3/20 9:26 a.m.

I should note I sold the VVTi driveline and Im sticking with the early 1uz, half because looks and half because I have a spare, and half JIC I cannot help but boost things

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
10/4/20 9:55 a.m.

I don't know if this is still relevant to your project, but there were stock manual transmission equipped Malibus of this vintage. V6, 3 speed manual, maybe on the tree. There was a shipment destined for Iraq, and the deal fell through somehow. So, these weirdo strippo Malibus with AC were sold up here Canada) at a big discount, with no warranty (I think).

So, the parts, or at least the part numbers, exist somewhere. 

malibuguy
10/4/20 12:13 p.m.

In reply to bradyzq :

Im very aware of them.  They were all saginaw 3speeds with a 200 v6.  And none of that applies to my car and they are of no real value.  

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/5/20 12:54 a.m.

Where would someone find one of these bastard child of a car?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oYPMfzcUbYNhRhmPeGFhiWXJCGfbVPpzNALvPJQs1ZKASB0W4RhCIncjGheWHh9L