1 2 3
Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/4/18 3:26 p.m.

This thread is devoted to Ron Sutton Race Technology Track-Warrior Builds 

Thread Guidelines

RSRT Clients & RSRT Authorized Track-Warrior Builders are encouraged to:
* Show & talk about your build with front and/or Track-Warrior rear clips or complete Track-Warrior chassis
* Show the car & share info about your unique build from start to finish … like a build thread
* Show & talk about how you built your car … your way.
* Show & talk about how your car is unique

Guests are encouraged to ask questions & make comments

PLEASE:
RSRT Clients & RSRT Authorized Track-Warrior Builders please use this format at the TOP OF EVERY POST … so people can tell it’s your car.  

Format to use
  Car Year & Model:
  Competing in:  
  Front Clip/Suspension:
  Rear Clip/Suspension:
  Engine:
  Trans:
  Brakes:
  Owner:
  Builder:

Examples
Car Year & Model: 70 Ford Mustang Fastback
  Competing in:  NASA TTU & Track Days
  Front Clip/Suspension: GT Track-Warrior
  Rear Clip/Suspension: GT Track-Warrior
  Engine:  Track-Warrior 3 LS7 700 HP
  Trans: Sequential Shift T56 6-Speed
  Brakes: StopTech 14” ST60/ST40
  Owner:  Greg Weld
  Builder:  Randy Chastain – One Off Customs

Car Year & Model: 65 Chevelle aka “G-Velle”
  Competing in:  Autocross
  Front Clip/Suspension: AXT Track-Warrior
  Rear Clip/Suspension: Ober-Link Rear Suspension
  Engine: Mast LS3 625HP
  Trans: Bowler T56 6-speed
  Owner: Aaron Oberle
  Builder: Aaron Oberle

Car Year & Model: 70 Plymouth Cuda
  Competing in:  Optima Ultimate Street Car & Road Course Track Days
  Front Clip/Suspension: TA Track-Warrior Front Clip
  Rear Clip/Suspension: GT Track-Warrior Rear Clip
  Engine: Twin Turbo 488" R3 Dodge NASCAR Engine
  Trans:  T56 6-speed
  Owner: Craig Scholl
  Builder: Craig Scholl

Then write your text & show photos of your car build !!

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/4/18 3:34 p.m.

Car Year & Model: 69 Ford Torino
Competing in: Road Course Track Days
Engine: Aluminum Ford FE 428" 750 HP
Trans: T56 6-Speed
Owner: Mark Milliron
Builder: Randy Chastain – One Off Customs

Everything starts somewhere. This project started with Mark Milliron's favorite NASCAR stock car in mind, the 69 Torino body.

Mark had this car complete at one time.

But had this in mind for it:

Follow along as Randy Chastain at One-Off Customs & Mike Tolle from Tolle Fab collaborate to build this car into a roller with Ron Sutton Race Technology GT Track-Warrior front & rear suspension, cage design & more.

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/4/18 3:35 p.m.

Car Year & Model: 65 Chevelle aka “G-Velle”
Competing in: Autocross
Front Clip/Suspension: AXT Track-Warrior
Rear Clip/Suspension: Ober-Link Rear Suspension
Engine: Mast LS3 625HP
Trans: Bowler T56 6-speed
Owner: Aaron Oberle
Builder: Aaron Oberle

My good friend Aaron Oberle is struggling with some health issues right now. Please keep him in your prayers. He is a great guy & we need him here for quite a while longer. I decided to post some of his build for him & he can take it over when he's feeling better.

Aaron has been running this Chevelle for quite a while. We became friends back in 2014 so I think this photo was back in 2014 or so. I added the lines so we could see how much roll angle he had back then.

He has built it to this now, with 315's on all corners, a lower stance, more power & a mean handling package.

We at Ron Sutton Race Technology started by building him a semi-custom (as they all are) AXT Front clip & Suspension.
* AXT stands for Autocross & Track. These AXT front frame & suspension packages are superior to our (and other) TA2 designs, but not as high travel as our TA front clips.

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/4/18 3:38 p.m.

Competing in: NASA TTU & Track Days
Engine: Track-Warrior 3 LS7 700 HP
Owner: Greg Weld

Greg decided he wanted something faster & meaner than his 65 Mustang Fast Back he was tracking & told me to build him one of our GT Track Warrior cars "turn key." We made his 65 is crazy fast for only having 245 tires all around and Zero Aero downforce with great suspension & brakes. But this new machine is going to be MEAN!

Light ... 2700#. Lots of aero dowforce ... 1500# ++. Good Power ... 700HP. Sequential no-lift-shift 6-speed. 335 slicks on all 4 corners. Giddy Up !!

It started with the selection of a cool, good looking 70 Fastback Mustang body ... and the desire to make it "meaner." Track width is grip. Pure & simple. So we decided we wanted the body 6" wider ... from the fenders down ... so the greenhouse stayed the same size (so as not to increase drag). I had a lot of changes made to the body to increase downforce. I'll explain them as we show you the car build.

Now getting the body built ... in fiberglass ... took longer than planned, primarily due to all the customization. We can normally get a complete fiberglass body shell, front end, doors, hood, deck lid, etc ... in about 3-4 months. This one took 6 months.

Here are some photos of the body building process.

The body shell arrived at Randy Chastain's One-Off Customs shop 10 days ago. Since then, he already has the front clip, rear clip & subframe built with the engine, trans & fuel cell mocked up. Now he's mounting the body. We'll show you those as we go along with the build.

We plan to shake the car down at Thunderhill Raceway in Northern California at the end of June, so the actual car build is hauling ass. Stay Tuned Boys & Girls !

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/5/18 2:46 p.m.

For Greg Weld's 70 Fastback Mustang Track-Warrior ... we had a custom body built that is 6" wider!  It's 3" wider on each side, right where the greenhouse (roof & pillars) meet the body.  

This was done by hand with fiberglass veterans with experience doing custom bodies.  

Here is a progression of the body being built.  

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/5/18 3:18 p.m.

WOW Freekin WOW!!!!  will go stand in the corner and promise not to get in the way... wink

I now know why LooseCannon seeks your advice....

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/5/18 7:32 p.m.
759NRNG said:

WOW Freekin WOW!!!!  will go stand in the corner and promise not to get in the way... wink

Haha.  I'm not sure who "Loose Cannon" is.  We've got a lot of racers we help around the country. But if his nick name is any indication  ... LOL

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/5/18 8:19 p.m.
Ron_Sutton said:
759NRNG said:

Haha.  I'm not sure who "Loose Cannon" is.  We've got a lot of racers we help around the country. But if his nick name is any indication  ... LOL

The Pink Panther MGB Emod, Mark S from Winnepeg Man. my favorite build here....

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/6/18 2:14 p.m.
759NRNG said:

The Pink Panther MGB Emod, Mark S from Winnepeg Man. my favorite build here....

Oh Mark S.  Gotcha !

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/6/18 2:14 p.m.

Greg Weld's 70 Mustang Track-Warrior Blueprint (without dimensions)

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/6/18 3:38 p.m.

Whoof, that Torino is teh sexz. I need some alone time.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/6/18 5:22 p.m.

Ron, in your experience .....is there an optimal wheelbase.....with all things considered...or can any participant be made to act politely regardless of their wardrobe???wink

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/6/18 9:41 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Hey Nick,  It is a very cool car.  It's basically a roller now.  I'll show the build photos in order so everyone can see.  Think of it as a tube chassis Trans Am car, with more modern suspension designs & geometry ... inside a 69 Torino body ... with a 750 HP aluminum FE motor & 6-speed. Will weigh about 2900#.  It is going to be a VERY fun track car. 

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/6/18 9:53 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

While there may not be one number that is the ultimate, I have found we can have the wheelbase too short or too long from optimum. 

The basic fundamentals are shorter wheelbase cars turn better but are less stable, where longer wheelbase cars don't turn as well but are more stable.  This is why Top Fuel Dragsters are 300" WB & Racing Karts are 42" +/-.  With cars on road courses, it's a decision about compromise.  I think we need to take in other factors like power to weight, track speed, etc. 

If we're running an 800HP, light, tube chassis race car ... it's going to be a handful with a 90" WB.  I'd rather it be 105" +.  On the  other hand, if we ran a Formula Ford, Miata or other "momentum" car ... we don't need a super long wheelbase for stability ... so 90-95" is fine. 

For the stuff I'm doing these days ... 700HP +, 2600#, tube chassis cars ... I like 105"-108".  That Torino is very cool, but at 116" WB it will not turn as well on the super tight stuff as the 108" WB Mustang above. 

Frankly I look at plan for the car and the usage the driver/owner has planned for it & factor that into my advice. 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/6/18 10:16 p.m.

Hey Ron, welcome to the GRM forum. It's a very active group and generally pretty positive and helpful group of car nuts. Here is my thread if you have, I dunno, a couple of weeks to read everything and watch the videos: Pink Panther Race Car build

68EFIvert
68EFIvert
3/6/18 11:15 p.m.

Ron gave me a link to this thread so I decided to post some info if my current project. The car is a 1968 Volvo 1800 that I am turning into a street/track beast.   RSRT was very instrumental in the design process of my car.  With the help of Ron we are currently installing one of his custom designed ATX front clips.  He also helped with the design of the rear torque arm suspension.

the car will be powered by a 600 hp LS3 with a paddle shifted 4L60E.  It is riding on a set of Boze 18x11 wheels and 315/30 BFG tires on all 4 corners.

The exterior is designed after a rendering done back in 2009 and is known as the Vox P1800.  I used that as inspiration to build this car.  It has takes many yeast to get to this point but, with a little luck, should be done in a year.  

Here is a link to a build thread on the car if anyone wants to see more.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/95668-1968-Volvo-project-Pure-Volvocity/page24?highlight=Volvo

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/7/18 7:38 a.m.
loosecannon said:

Hey Ron, welcome to the GRM forum. It's a very active group and generally pretty positive and helpful group of car nuts. Here is my thread if you have, I dunno, a couple of weeks to read everything and watch the videos: Pink Panther Race Car build

Thanks Mark !

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/8/18 10:54 a.m.

Car Year & Model: Mustang TA Body
Competing in: SCCA GT1 & SPO
Front Clip/Suspension: GT1 Track-Warrior
Rear Clip/Suspension: GT1 Track-Warrior
Engine: Ford NASCAR Cup Engine
Trans: Jerrico 4-Speed
Brakes: Brembo NASCAR Road Race Brakes
Owner: Dan Kowaleski
Builder: Dan Kowaleski

Dan Kowaleski had been running a modified (enlarged) Mustang Trans Am body on a NASCAR Cup Car chassis for quite awhile.  He decided he wanted to build a more modern, lighter Trans Am style chassis & modify his Mustang body back to the original Trans Am shape & size.  

Dan reached out to us for the chassis design, geometry work up & suspension set up.  Other than providing that, our shock valving & parts to build his new hot rod ... Dan did ALL the work himself in his 2-car garage.  It's pretty cool to see a guy build his own road race car & race it.

Here was his old car (NASCAR Cup Chassis & bigger Body)

Here is a side view of the blueprints we designed for him:

Old Body:

4" Shorter Body for new chassis:

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/8/18 4:09 p.m.

Here are some EARLY photos of Greg Weld's 70 Mustang the front end.  I say "early" because we've made changes & advancements to it since these.  But you'll get to see the progression this way.  I'll show the changes we made & why we made them.

Early stages of front end customization.  You can see where the front end has been widened 3" on each side for a total of 6" wider.  This is all to widen the track width & make room for 335/30/18 Hoosier Slicks all the way around.  

The top red circle shows where the Ford style is shaped into the nose.  We'll be removing that ... smoothing & rounding the nose ... and making the hood flat in front of the eventual 4" cowl hood scoop.  

The red circle on the bottom is just to point out that the air dam mocked up here is NOT going to stay that shape.  It will also be rounded.  Gotta start somewhere.  :lol:

This photo shows the rear of the body shell after it was widened 6" & re-gel coated.
Yes, those are 69-70 Shelby Tail Lights.  The actual lights will be LEDs.    

This is a good photo showing what the factory tail panel kick up looked like.  If I left this as is, it would seriously affect airflow off the back of the car.  So we leveled it out as you can see in the second photo.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
3/8/18 7:14 p.m.
68EFIvert said:

Ron gave me a link to this thread so I decided to post some info if my current project. The car is a 1968 Volvo 1800 that I am turning into a street/track beast.   RSRT was very instrumental in the design process of my car.  With the help of Ron we are currently installing one of his custom designed ATX front clips.  He also helped with the design of the rear torque arm suspension.

the car will be powered by a 600 hp LS3 with a paddle shifted 4L60E.  It is riding on a set of Boze 18x11 wheels and 315/30 BFG tires on all 4 corners.

The exterior is designed after a rendering done back in 2009 and is known as the Vox P1800.  I used that as inspiration to build this car.  It has takes many yeast to get to this point but, with a little luck, should be done in a year.  

Here is a link to a build thread on the car if anyone wants to see more.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/95668-1968-Volvo-project-Pure-Volvocity/page24?highlight=Volvo

I need to see more about this-wow!

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/12/18 4:57 p.m.

Car Year & Model: 47 REO Speedwagon Truck ... Yes, really !
Competing in: Street, Autocross & Track Days
Engine: LS Engine
Trans: 6-Speed
Owner: Robert Taylor
Builder: Robert Taylor

Where's the trucks?  Where is a really unique build utilizing RSRT Track-Warrior chassis design & suspensions?

Here ya go!  Robert took the cab from a 1947 REO Speedwagon & is building a wicked cool ... and wicked fast ... play toy.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
3/12/18 5:27 p.m.

Golly. That is all.

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/12/18 5:34 p.m.

Trans: PPG Sequential Shift T56 6-Speed

We had to measure the body ... to be absolutely sure ... of the dimensions for tire width, track width, etc ... before we built the clips.  The day the body arrived, we measured it.  The front & rear frame clips with suspension were done 2 days later.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/12/18 8:26 p.m.

Your chassis builds are truly works of art, but the fab table has me captivated ...I see stuff stashed underneath,but what are the particulars??? Your own design???

Ron_Sutton
Ron_Sutton New Reader
3/13/18 8:45 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Your chassis builds are truly works of art, but the fab table has me captivated ...I see stuff stashed underneath,but what are the particulars??? Your own design???

It is a 5' x 12' Optics table from Newport Labs. New it would have been $17,000.  But I didn't buy it new.  It is perfectly flat & true with .003" & the stainless top is precision drilled every square inch with 1/4" threaded holes. This allows us to move our jig fixtures & accessories around in a measurable, precise manner. 

I don't own it anymore.  I sold it & my fab equipment, sheet metal equipment & machine shop to my best buddy Randy Chastain.  This is his shop in the photos.  He built the Torino & is in the process of building the Mustang.  They are my designs & Track-Warrior chassis kits & suspension packages.  Randy's shop ... "One Off Customs" in Northern California is one of three shops in the country approved by me to build Track-Warriors for RSRT Clients.

The other two shops are in North Carolina & Texas. 

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
bIGCFUHVmH9epgL9wwdalrw3GLAlwpGdYelI4660WK2CuNDZCcsoe8kIRhjUYFH1