1 ... 9 10 11 12
egoman
egoman Reader
7/11/22 8:35 p.m.

It’s time to strip the body down to where it could go to the sandblaster at any time. Doors, screws and all the leftover wiring. Getting rid of the sunroof was always part of the plan as its weight that is up high.
Attached Images         

egoman
egoman Reader
7/17/22 9:36 p.m.

Because I was just lifting the car with the rear bumper structure, I needed to add a lift point with that removed. Attaching to the structures bolt on points, I came up with this idea. It is removable and more than adequate for strength.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
7/25/22 8:49 p.m.

Dragged the car off to the car wash for a fall bath before hibernation. Naturally nothing ever goes easy!

egoman
egoman Reader
8/1/22 9:10 p.m.

I have been busy building a garage and subsequently I haven't been working on the car too much. Don't worry though because I anticipated this and have a lot of material going forward.
I also have neglected to take and post many pictures of said garage because I was building it without a permit. Well I got caught and construction ground to a halt. Permits and fines are now taken care of and that project is currently going forward. As things have been slow I decided to do something new! I went to a local car show and cruise at the "Pony Corral" in Winnipeg. While I was going anyways I loaded the car as it currently is on the trailer and took it with me. I honestly didn't know what to expect????
The response was amazing and I had to be very observant while looking at the other cars. I couldn't get very far without a large group wanting answers about what was being built and what the hell it was?
I indicated to them that if you squint just right you can clearly see that it is a 1997 Cougar XR7. Yea they were not buying that! Fortunately I have the pictures on the phone to show them the chassis with the body on it. I also had to explain that what they were looking at didn't have a single Cougar part on it at this time, LOL
Funny story from the permit office. The manager asked me what I would do differently in the future? I said that I would be way sneakier. I also indicated that 20-30 years ago a bribe could have solved this way quicker. They apparently have no sense of humor?
Oh well life goes on and the guys are siding it over the next several days.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
8/10/22 9:11 p.m.

In order to make sure I don’t have any problems going forward I need to remove the immobilizer from this truck. I will add further security measures when the transplant is complete

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
8/22/22 9:25 p.m.

Just like a stray dog having puppies these trucks are dropping out of the sky. $400 and we have one that drove on and off the trailer. Eddie Bauer edition 4x4. Stinks of French fries though, LOL.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
9/19/22 8:40 p.m.

Just some artsy shots that reminds me of why I don’t work too much on the car when its winter.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
10/23/22 2:08 p.m.

I have been busy waiting for almost 2 building seasons while planning commissions and AFR decide to do their jobs. The garage may get done this year but my cylinder heads are already 16 months behind schedule. Time to go to my bank of posts and update the build thread anyways. Justifiably I have been a little frugal with the posts! So here we go again!

We need to get the dummy motor out and replace it with a runner to use for the initial wiring and plumbing. It will move under its own power with the Unicorns engine.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
12/4/22 4:51 p.m.

Because your life doesn’t come with instructions, and swaps like this one don’t either, we need to detail stuff. Tagging as many wires and lines as I could, will hopefully allow me to reinstall this engine and associated harnesses and have it run again.

Attached Images

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
12/4/22 6:51 p.m.

Good to see your update. Hope the new garage keeps you warm & happy. 

egoman
egoman Reader
12/6/22 10:32 p.m.

In reply to DrMikeCSI :

Still doing the waiting game with the carpenters and electricians. Trying though!

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/7/22 5:43 p.m.

"Those of you in the great white north, stay warm! Those of you in the south, well the heck with you EH!"

Yo bro ......my sincere apologizes for not opening this up until NOW ........I design the piping systems on the pooter that you weld together.......currently reading about Ron S and all that............BIG FAN of Mark S and the PINK .......going back to catch up .....take off Eh you Hoser!..........er stay warm ??

Frigidaire
Frigidaire New Reader
12/11/22 5:00 p.m.

Egoman, incredible build and amazingly useful posts, I just read all 11 pages worth. Truly grassroots motorsports, basic tools, low cost and mega skill. Looking forward to the suspension tuning when you get there

egoman
egoman Reader
12/11/22 11:54 p.m.
Frigidaire said:

Egoman, incredible build and amazingly useful posts, I just read all 11 pages worth. Truly grassroots motorsports, basic tools, low cost and mega skill. Looking forward to the suspension tuning when you get there

Me Tooooo....................................

egoman
egoman Reader
12/2/23 3:05 p.m.

Not many pics but a lot of marking and thinking.

Attached Images

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
12/2/23 4:03 p.m.

Glad to see this updated!

egoman
egoman Reader
12/6/23 8:28 p.m.
Shavarsh said:

Glad to see this updated!

We never stop but occaisionally we take a sabatical, LOL!

egoman
egoman Reader
12/10/23 12:57 a.m.

post 146: Have you ever had one of those days when you go to the shop and know that you won’t get anything done? I had one of those this day. BUT I got a **** ton done and surprised myself. I guess that’s better than wheeling in with a ton of optimism and failing miserably?
Attached Images         

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
12/10/23 9:34 p.m.

I was thinking about this build the other week. Wondering if it still lived. Glad to see you back

egoman
egoman Reader
12/11/23 10:58 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Glad to be back. Just getting back on track!

egoman
egoman Reader
12/16/23 2:47 p.m.

147 I have mentioned that I needed to rewire the harness to eliminate the immobilizer. Today that was the purpose. After a few phone calls to my friends Chis McQuarrie (Automotive VOC-ED teacher) and Marion Franczyk (Auto shops teacher) I kept plugging away at this. After several hours of frustration that was mostly directed at the original installer we had it done, maybe?

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
12/25/23 10:18 a.m.

148 I need some spares before I even finish the car. The good deals on FB marketplace don’t work on my schedule though, so we buy when the deals arrive.
A quick phone call and we were off for a set of tires for the car.

egoman
egoman Reader
12/26/23 4:11 p.m.

149 Picked up a gasket from a local racer Lee McRae. Naturally a simple pickup becomes a long BS session and so it goes right? Well we get the rear gears in and measure the axle lengths for the floater. Sheer fluke they both ended up the same length reducing the amount of spares I will need.
That chunk was so heavy that it reinforces my decision to go to an aluminum center section.

egoman
egoman Reader
12/30/23 5:52 p.m.

150 Work that I am not sure I want to leave like it is???

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
1/14/24 7:40 p.m.

151 Scraping seam sealer and paint as well as removing trim to make way for a few closeout pieces.

Attached Images

1 ... 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UICa9sxk3aRPLZZNYNs29PTEMwgjc1ge1kJWomF2iISBT10vbiuc3Ewtp5rmjeA1