1 2
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/19 12:15 p.m.

So I spent a lot of time over the holiday weekend watching BTCC videos and other motorsports stuff from the 90's.

The Volvo from the Challenge this year got me thinking...

The 99 Honda Accord BTCC car would be very affordable to build and have great bones under it.

Just like the 7th gen accord that the Traccord is built upon, the 6th gen accord from 1998-2002 was also blessed with Double wishbones up front..

A quick craigslist perusing shows that proper candidates are available and affordable.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/sanger-2001-honda-accord/7020890214.html

Then I got to thinking.... Whats the aftermarket support for this car like?

CHEAP and FULL of CHINESIUM goodness

adjustable upper control arms? available and CHEEEAP

adjustable Height coilovers, OH Maxpeeding Rods? PERFECT

And wheels are fairly easy to find, finding cheap ones will be a bit more difficult. But at least having 4x114.3 options available OTS is nice.

And then I also got Talking to Daylan who was all about the idea of building a car with a single cam F series motor.

So right now this is an idea and nothing more. I've got other financial priorities at this exact second so this is going to simmer for a bit before I move on it. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/2/19 12:23 p.m.

I want to go on record saying it's a horrible idea and I'm really looking forward to it. I also want to point out spacecadet's questionable judgment in deciding I was the right idiot to help with this when I've done nothing but disappoint.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/19 12:24 p.m.

I approve of your trash and pm'ed you

spacecadet
12/2/19 12:32 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I want to go on record saying it's a horrible idea and I'm really looking forward to it. I also want to point out spacecadet's questionable judgment in deciding I was the right idiot to help with this when I've done nothing but disappoint.

You gave this idea its name. So thats worth quite a bit.

spacecadet
12/2/19 12:33 p.m.
Patrick said:

I approve of your trash and pm'ed you

You have a PM back

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/2/19 12:35 p.m.

Oh no. We dun goofed. BTCC should have been the theme. Well, 90s BTCC can be the sub-theme of Radwood, right? Or just 90s Supertouring in general.

Someone needs to do a Contour/Mondeo. I'd say me, but I already have two junk cars that I need to get ready for next year.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/2/19 12:47 p.m.

Only on GRM would there be so much approval (or even an audience) for modding and racing beat 90s 4cyl accords. I love this place.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/2/19 1:01 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I want to go on record saying it's a horrible idea

But it's not your worst idea, not by a long shot. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/2/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Actually to be honest the build on its own is probably going to be pretty boring. I actually see this working if it happens and that's why I'm actually kind of excited.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/2/19 1:22 p.m.

great, this makes me want to do a tribute Contour BTCC car now. But I don't want a divorce.

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/3/19 3:14 a.m.

I support it all. We saw this;

...and ended up with this:

Not on a Challenge budget but we are on the wrong side of the Atlantic!

Still waiting for someone to build an Accord for our series...and a Mondeo. And Laguna...

Gustaf

ian328
ian328 New Reader
12/3/19 5:19 a.m.

I grew up watching the BTCC and the supertouring times were by far the best for action until the costs got too high and forced most of the manufacturers out.

The 90's in the UK had some of the closest racing you could watch, I still go to Oulton Park with my little lad to watch as often as possible.

When volvo came with the 850 estate they changed this up a bit

ep16
ep16 New Reader
12/3/19 9:37 a.m.

Again, wrong side of the pond based in the UK but for the benefit of those not so familiar with the BTCC and the supertouring era... I present another source inspiration/chorus of "Do it! Do it! Do it!"

Not my video. Sound up!

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
12/3/19 10:20 a.m.

Approve!  Originally we we gonna bleach our hair, wear Ray Bans, Volvo blue popped collar polos and Khakis for the event but this would neccesitate.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/3/19 11:00 a.m.

I always wanted to build a BTCC out of a 5th-gen Accord wagon with the F20B engine. Probably won't ever get around to it, but it rattles around in my head. 

spacecadet
12/3/19 12:05 p.m.
barefootskater said:

Only on GRM would there be so much approval (or even an audience) for modding and racing beat 90s 4cyl accords. I love this place.

I expected to have a few crazies who would think this is a neat idea. But this has gotten a good Bit more support than I expected.

Now I just have to channel that into some financial motivation for myself to get this rolling in 2020.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/3/19 4:34 p.m.

Spacecadet obviously knows a lot more about Hondas than I do. So I'm trying to do some research and catch up. I keep getting distracted by pretty pictures like this.

spacecadet
12/3/19 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

To be fair, thats a REALLY cool picture..

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/3/19 5:33 p.m.

BTW, I've never seen a picture of it, but there was a brief foray for a Pontiac Sunfire in the North American touring car series. It was the US equivalent of BTCC but only lasted for two years, and the Sunfire was only around for a few races...but if someone wants to build a Supertouring Sunfire, you have precedent.

http://www.supertouringregister.com/driver/521/

There was also a Ford Contour, but we can imagine how that looked as it's nearly identical to the Mondeo.

spacecadet
12/3/19 5:56 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

the JGTC Toyota Cavalier is the best weird crossover IMHO.  Daylan brought it to my attention semi recently. 

https://drivetribe.com/p/a-cavalier-effort-JElFSTzPToG7Vzih6441Kw?iid=f3i0eqOuRrSafJHIMHqGhw

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/3/19 6:05 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

That. Is. Amazing.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/4/19 11:49 a.m.
spacecadet said:

In reply to slowbird :

the JGTC Toyota Cavalier is the best weird crossover IMHO.  Daylan brought it to my attention semi recently. 

https://drivetribe.com/p/a-cavalier-effort-JElFSTzPToG7Vzih6441Kw?iid=f3i0eqOuRrSafJHIMHqGhw

Chevy and Toyota had a brief partnership which gave us a few oddballs - remember the Geo Prizm?

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/4/19 12:05 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

GEO was all Suzuki or Toyota and it amuses me when I see them in the GM section at pull-a-part.

The best thing to come from Toyota/GM was the Toyota Matrix being rebodied as the Pontiac Vibe, and then the Pontiac Vibe being rebadged as the Toyota Voltz.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/4/19 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

...so they made a Toyota version of the Pontiac version of a Toyota? WHY

ebelements
ebelements Reader
12/4/19 3:54 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

GEO was all Suzuki or Toyota and it amuses me when I see them in the GM section at pull-a-part.

Don't forget Isuzu (storm/impulse)!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aPjah9r3iezMGQrGzYOklpK3pUR9fDCt4Uu2p9G1KjhjxeMFjp0KaBmi1Qt8QIzz