Daylan C PowerDork
12/4/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

It happened.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/4/19 5:10 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

This is one of those "it's so absurd, it has to be true" type things. If it was a lie that someone made up, nobody would believe it. laugh

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
12/4/19 8:46 p.m.

Oh yeah, I saw one of those about a month ago in Dayton Ohio. I thought maybe there was a dealer called "Voltz" and that was their badge. Googled it when I got home. Canada isn't that far away.

Eurotrash_Ranch
Eurotrash_Ranch New Reader
12/4/19 9:43 p.m.
ebelements said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

GEO was all Suzuki or Toyota and it amuses me when I see them in the GM section at pull-a-part.

Don't forget Isuzu (storm/impulse)!

Edited to add:

[x] YES on the Trashccord

I  always had a thing for the Impulse Turbo. An itch I never scratched.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/5/19 5:30 a.m.
slowbird said:

BTW, I've never seen a picture of it, but there was a brief foray for a Pontiac Sunfire in the North American touring car series. It was the US equivalent of BTCC but only lasted for two years, and the Sunfire was only around for a few races...but if someone wants to build a Supertouring Sunfire, you have precedent.

http://www.supertouringregister.com/driver/521/

There was also a Ford Contour, but we can imagine how that looked as it's nearly identical to the Mondeo.

Don't forget the Super Touring Stratus, which is cooler than the entirety of Dodge Stratii in existence. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/5/19 8:11 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Honestly I want to do a Stratus in that style at some point, but Spacecadet is smarter than me so it's an Accord this round.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/5/19 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

I mean Stratus has double-wishbone in the front, multi-link in the rear and 4-wheel disc brakes and an optional manual trans, so it has decent bones. Too bad we never got the Mexico-market turbo Stratus here in the US, although they were auto-only and only 168hp.

Edit: And now I just learned that after the Stratus was discontinued, Russian firm GAZ bought the tooling and continued producing them as the Volga Siber for a few years. 

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
12/5/19 9:09 a.m.

The Dodge Stratos was the only Dodge I ever really wanted.  Then when I saw them in racing spec I was "Yeah, I need one of those".  I never did realize that dream.  crying

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/5/19 9:13 a.m.

BTCC-ish would be an excellent theme.

Saturn was never in  BTCC, but I would like to do a build themed like that.  It does NOT have good bones (no double wishbones), but it is lighter.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/5/19 10:00 a.m.

I am strongly in favor of any and all BTCC style wagons whether they actually raced or not. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
12/5/19 12:05 p.m.
NickD said:
slowbird said:

BTW, I've never seen a picture of it, but there was a brief foray for a Pontiac Sunfire in the North American touring car series. It was the US equivalent of BTCC but only lasted for two years, and the Sunfire was only around for a few races...but if someone wants to build a Supertouring Sunfire, you have precedent.

There was also a Ford Contour, but we can imagine how that looked as it's nearly identical to the Mondeo.

Don't forget the Super Touring Stratus, which is cooler than the entirety of Dodge Stratii in existence. 

That was THE body to have in R/C touring car racing for 10 years. It's aero was superior to anything else. Looked like Spec Stratus out there.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/5/19 1:15 p.m.
GCrites80s said:
NickD said:
slowbird said:

That was THE body to have in R/C touring car racing for 10 years. It's aero was superior to anything else. Looked like Spec Stratus out there.

Spec Stratus sounds like a race series that needs to happen.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/5/19 3:05 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Indeed, sadly I doubt there's enough of them left these days.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/5/19 3:12 p.m.
NickD said:

I would love to see spec [anything] at the GRM challenge.

On an unrelated note, here is a guy with 8-9 Fiestas for sale  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/446126716310688/

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/5/19 3:31 p.m.

A buddy of mine once suggested the Nitrous Rental Car Cup. Spec Aveo with Nitrous in an endurance format. 50 shot as a push to pass effectively.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/6/19 11:06 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
NickD said:

I would love to see spec [anything] at the GRM challenge.

On an unrelated note, here is a guy with 8-9 Fiestas for sale  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/446126716310688/

I call dibs on the Fiesta Truck in the one photo! I have a nice Miata 1.6L that would be fun in a Fiesta.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
12/6/19 7:29 p.m.
NickD said:
slowbird said:

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
12/6/19 8:30 p.m.

Well this is certainly an amazing plan 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/8/19 11:25 p.m.

I had two 4cyl/5spd Stratus. Good cars that noone realized existed. Overall I liked them much more than my Neons with the same drivetrain but it was all DIY if you wanted to upgrade the suspension etc. 

In the end I regretted selling both of them. Especially because one of them was purple. If i could snap my fingers and change one of my current cheap cars into one of those that I sold, I'd do it. 

DHBomber
DHBomber New Reader
12/9/19 12:42 a.m.

Can't forget about Rod Millen and the NATCC http://www.supertouringregister.com/image/1482.jpg

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
12/9/19 7:23 a.m.

All of these pics of old 90's race cars reminds me of the "racing modifications" option on Gran Turismo 2!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CxDvkvK06i82H8oIyfyDunaYPgZFwhbyY5aoc1YZkoU0WAeCl3W88S8Av0EA6mpS